• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Archbishop Nikon's Timetable for new DOS Bishop

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In his recent address to his New England Diocese, Archbishop Nikon, who is the Locum Tenens od the Diocese of the South, said the following:

"I anticipate holding a nomination assembly for the Diocese of the South in February (2015) in conjunction with their annual clergy conference. It is my hope that the nominee will be elected by the Holy Synod during our regular Spring Session in March and I would anticipate a consecration in May, should that be necessary. " (my emphasis)
http://dneoca.org/files/pdf/bishop_report_2014.pdf

This is indeed good news except that I am perplexed with the bolded phrase. Does anyone have any idea what this is al about?

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) said:
In his recent address to his New England Diocese, Archbishop Nikon, who is the Locum Tenens od the Diocese of the South, said the following:

"I anticipate holding a nomination assembly for the Diocese of the South in February (2015) in conjunction with their annual clergy conference. It is my hope that the nominee will be elected by the Holy Synod during our regular Spring Session in March and I would anticipate a consecration in May, should that be necessary. " (my emphasis)

This is indeed good news except that I am perplexed with the bolded phrase. Does anyone have any idea what this is al about?
Does the OCA have any non-retired, non-diocesan bishops?  I know the Greeks do, but that's not going to happen....

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:

This is indeed good news except that I am perplexed with the bolded phrase. Does anyone have any idea what this is all about?
Does the OCA have any non-retired, non-diocesan bishops?  I know the Greeks do, but that's not going to happen....
Yes, we just got one: the newly elected auxiliary bishop of the Diocese of the West, Bishop-elect David (Brum).

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
podkarpatska said:

This is indeed good news except that I am perplexed with the bolded phrase. Does anyone have any idea what this is all about?
Yes, we just got one: the newly elected auxiliary bishop of the Diocese of the West, Bishop-elect David (Brum).
Dun dun dun!

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the importance of this, and why is there a DUN DUN DUN I am so confused

AntonI

Reaction score
I assume the intention, barring anything happening, is for the newly elected Bishop David to slot in the Diocese of the South - hence Carl's question re the bolded statement has been answered becasue now we have a possible person for the bishopric (hence the dramatic dun dun duuuun *cue appropriate music*).

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Last time a bishop was chosen for the diocese, it went over really well.

Abp. Nikon's statement still implies (I hope) that another candidate is being considered.  Namely, Fr. Gerasim (Eliel).

Autobigraphical sketches (PDFs) of Bishop-elect David and Fr. Gerasim, for anyone's perusal.

http://nynjoca.org/files/2009/08-17/Brum_bio.pdf
http://dosoca.org/files/esc/Gerasim.BiorevisedMarch14_27_2009.pdf

DCBmoreOCF

Reaction score
Did he addressed the problem with Fr Robert and his cathedral in Boston???

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
DCBmoreOCF said:
LOL.  While we're at it, why don't we postpone the 2016 "Great and Holy" Council until Fr Robert and his cathedral in Boston are dealt with to the satisfaction of fora, blogs, and comment boxes throughout the internet?

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Mor Ephrem said:
DCBmoreOCF said:
LOL.  While we're at it, why don't we postpone the 2016 "Great and Holy" Council until Fr Robert and his cathedral in Boston are dealt with to the satisfaction of fora, blogs, and comment boxes throughout the internet?
You beat me to it, once again....

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hecma925 said:

Abp. Nikon's statement still implies (I hope) that another candidate is being considered.  Namely, Fr. Gerasim (Eliel).

Autobigraphical sketches (PDFs) of Bishop-elect David and Fr. Gerasim, for anyone's perusal.

To update the above biographies, Father David was nominated by the Diocese of the West to become an auxiliary bishop to Archbishop Benjamin as Bishop of Santa Rosa, CA.

Father Gerasim graduated from Saint Vladimir's Orthodox Seminary in 2012 with triple honors: Class Valedictorian, magna cum laude academic standing; commendation for contribution to community life; and commendation for his Master’s thesis, titled, “Russian Icons in a Native Church: Conflict in Culture in Western Alaska.”  He was then assigned to two parishes to gain practical experience "in the world" as rector of the Holy Virgin Mary Cathedral in Los Angeles and the St. Seraphim Orthodox Cathedral in Dallas, TX. So, he is in the Diocese of the South already and has already charmed our congregation. He is driven by his love for the Lord and has great missionary zeal. Plus, the priests in our Carolinas DEanery love him.

Aram

High Elder
Reaction score
Gunnarr said:
Can anyone explain the importance of this, and why is there a DUN DUN DUN I am so confused
There isn't any. I just don't know how you read this in any other way than Abp. Nikon covering all his bases in saying that if a non-bishop is elected, they'll have to hold a consecration. Logic.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
DCBmoreOCF said:
And the Parousia.  We've gotta postpone that too.

DCBmoreOCF said:
There was no public rhubarb to address at that time.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
DCBmoreOCF said:
There was no public rhubarb to address at that time.
It has zero to do with electing a new bishop.

mctaviix

High Elder
Reaction score
DCBmoreOCF said:
How dare you ask a question on a public forum!!!!

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
hecma925 said:

I read the basically, life story, of Father Gerasim there you linked, and I really like him now.

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
Aram said:
Gunnarr said:
There isn't any. I just don't know how you read this in any other way than Abp. Nikon covering all his bases in saying that if a non-bishop is elected, they'll have to hold a consecration. Logic.
I assumed there must be something extra special about this election for people to post a thread about it in the news section before it is happening

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Gunnarr said:
Aram said:
Gunnarr said:
I assumed there must be something extra special about this election for people to post a thread about it in the news section before it is happening
The diocese has been without a bishop since 2011.  That's a long time.  Also, the Holy Synod of the OCA has pushed this whole process back about 3 times.

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Gunnarr said:
Aram said:
Gunnarr said:
The diocese has been without a bishop since 2011.  That's a long time.  Also, the Holy Synod of the OCA has pushed this whole process back about 3 times.
oh.... Why has it kept being delayed?? Is the laity so viscious that no one dares be a bishop there? Or is it politics? Or... weird

I can't imagine that they cant find anyone

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Gunnarr said:
hecma925 said:
Gunnarr said:
Aram said:
Gunnarr said:
oh.... Why has it kept being delayed?? Is the laity so viscious that no one dares be a bishop there? Or is it politics? Or... weird

I can't imagine that they cant find anyone
You can read all the official stuff on the diocese's website (http://dosoca.org/esc.html).  I haven't travelled to all the parishes, but if they're like the ones I know, they're full of nice Southerners.

Here is a perspective of what happened when Bishop Mark Maymon (now Bishop of Philadelphia and Eastern PA) visited, as he was the favored candidate of the Holy Synod:
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/fr-justin-martyr/
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/abp-nikon-allegedly-cancels-dos-bishop-election/

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Personally, I fail to see a reason to rehash what has been a difficult and lengthy period for the OCA and the faithful of its DOS.  Our prayers should be with them as they await a new shepherd to lead them. The past is behind us and this has been discussed here as part of threads here and elsewhere for some years.

Paisius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
Personally, I fail to see a reason to rehash what has been a difficult and lengthy period for the OCA and the faithful of its DOS.  Our prayers should be with them as they await a new shepherd to lead them. The past is behind us and this has been discussed here as part of threads here and elsewhere for some years.

You are right. There is no benefit at all to rehashing any of that stuff.

kijabeboy03

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Gunnarr said:
Aram said:
Gunnarr said:
Ummm yeah no. Try Ethiopia, where there were occasionally decades between bishops back in the day when the Copts would only elect one bishop at a time for the country. Or even the Diocese of Boston, which (if I'm not mistaken) was without a ruling bishop from Archbishop Job's transfer in 1993 to Archbishop Nicon's election in 2005.

katherineofdixie

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Paisius said:
podkarpatska said:

You are right. There is no benefit at all to rehashing any of that stuff.

Thank you, kind sirs! :-*

Seraphim98

High Elder
Reaction score
My priest and parish are very impressed with Fr. Gerasim, and are hoping that he is the one who will be ordained as our next bishop. From everything I can see he would make an excellent choice...be a good fit for the diocese.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
February 16, 2015, officially.

http://dosoca.org/2015clergy.html

kijabeboy03

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
So has a final list of candidates been agreed upon for the assembly or will someone be presented for the assembly's "consideration" when the delegates arrive? :)

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
kijabeboy03 said:
So has a final list of candidates been agreed upon for the assembly or will someone be presented for the assembly's "consideration" when the delegates arrive? :)
From Archbishop's letter: "At its November meeting, the Diocesan Council, with my blessing, recommended that the names of all the candidates vetted by the Holy Synod of the Orthodox  Church in America be given to the Special Diocesan Assembly for possible nomination."

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
DCBmoreOCF said:
Nonsense. Didn't you know that Fr. Robert is the reason that the Great and Holy Council is finally convening?  It requires a consensus of the Church Patriarchs to determine who Fr. Robert should commune in his parish.