ARCHIMANDRITE ANDREAS (KONANOS) RESIGNS FROM PRIESTHOOD

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I (and some of my friends / schoolmates) have been trying to figure that out.  He is well-known and well-respected within the Church of Greece.  I do appreciate that his note is merely about leaving the priesthood / active ministry, not about leaving the faith.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Fr. George said:
I (and some of my friends / schoolmates) have been trying to figure that out.  He is well-known and well-respected within the Church of Greece.  I do appreciate that his note is merely about leaving the priesthood / active ministry, not about leaving the faith.
Exactly - what's more, taht he wants to be still active at Church.

He will continue to be inspired by God and to serve and love all, he writes, continuing to speak and write. He will now be able to serve “with more openness, breadth, and freedom,” he believes.
This may suggest a conflict with hierarchy.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
thank you for your opinions. I hope he will stay among the monastics.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Maybe he found a wife.
Maybe. His last video on his youtube-channel from a month ago  is a little bit strange, because according the video description (google translate) he speaks there about chatting unexpectely with someone during the night and about visiting that person afterwards in Miami....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb114ReChOQ

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nathanael said:
Is he a true monastic, or is he an Archimandrite in the world? (I thought he was the latter, only associated with a monastery pro forma as is the case with Archimandrites here.) If his calling is to marry, then he should (per St. Paul's advice).  But if this has nothing to do with marriage, then I agree with you.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
Nathanael said:
Is he a true monastic, or is he an Archimandrite in the world? (I thought he was the latter, only associated with a monastery pro forma as is the case with Archimandrites here.) If his calling is to marry, then he should (per St. Paul's advice).  But if this has nothing to do with marriage, then I agree with you.
I mean he was tonsured as a monk, wasn't he? Therefore he should remain a monk for a life time. I don't know, but monks who decide afterwards to marry, their action are regarded as a more grevious sin than divorce. That's what I heard and read. 

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Nathanael said:
hecma925 said:
Maybe he found a wife.
Maybe. His last video on his youtube-channel from a month ago  is a little bit strange, because according the video description (google translate) he speaks there about chatting unexpectely with someone during the night and about visiting that person afterwards in Miami....

Bizarre that a monk would make videos of himself in front of such a banal background with zero icons present.  Not a single Christian symbol.  Looks like a psychiatrist's office.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
PorphyriosK said:
Nathanael said:
hecma925 said:
Maybe he found a wife.

Bizarre that a monk would make videos of himself in front of such a banal background with zero icons present.  Not a single Christian symbol.  Looks like a psychiatrist's office.
Of course, it would look like more orthodox if had any icons in the background. But it's not a obligation - maybe. I prefer also icons in the background of online preachers.

I'm not judging, I just want to understand his actions & his decision.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
Nathanael said:
For monastics (who gave a vow not to marry), who are speakers and authors known throughout the orthodox world, it's dangerous for their spiritual life to have such a permanent public attention in the whole world. Monk Arseniye Jovanovich who is the most famous orthodox speaker in the Serbian orthodox church and who used to travel around for more than 6 years all over the world, speaks openly about the temptations he faced with such a missionary work. And the only thing what helps him not to fall is to be bounded to a monastery or rather to be able to live a monastic/monastery life on a daily basis with time for hesychia. 
I think Archimandrites in the world may face more tempations especially if they are famous like Father Andreas. Therefore in the Serbian Orthodox Church there are no such monastics who can live in the world and who can have a parish in the world. Is it only in Greece where such things are allowed for monastics?

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Nathanael said:
PorphyriosK said:
Nathanael said:
hecma925 said:
Maybe he found a wife.

Of course, it would look like more orthodox if had any icons in the background. But it's not a obligation - maybe. I prefer also icons in the background of online preachers.

Not an obligation, but that in itself seems indicative that something might be "off".  What kind of a monk gets all excited to go on a trip to Miami? 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nathanael said:
Fr. George said:
Nathanael said:
I mean he was tonsured as a monk, wasn't he? Therefore he should remain a monk for a life time. I don't know, but monks who decide afterwards to marry, their action are regarded as a more grevious sin than divorce. That's what I heard and read. 
Some clergy are tonsured because their hierarchs want to make them Archimandrites; others do so because, despite living in the world, they still aspire to the monastic life.  This is why I try (in my own use) to distinguish between celibate and true monastic clergy, as for some the tonsure is pro forma and out of obedience (which is totally ironic considering the ceremony itself goes out of its way to be about voluntarily submitting for the tonsure).

Maybe it is more grievous than divorce.  But, again, St. Paul says it's better to marry than to burn in lust - if one was not meant for the celibate life, they're better off marrying rather than burning in the sin of the mind. (All of this is speculation in this particular case.)

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
PorphyriosK said:
Nathanael said:
PorphyriosK said:
Nathanael said:
hecma925 said:
Maybe he found a wife.

Not an obligation, but that in itself seems indicative that something might be "off".  What kind of a monk gets all excited to go on a trip to Miami?
Miami is pretty cool.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
This is why I try (in my own use) to distinguish between celibate and true monastic clergy, as for some the tonsure is pro forma and out of obedience (which is totally ironic considering the ceremony itself goes out of its way to be about voluntarily submitting for the tonsure).
I didn't know that. Interesting, but really contradictory.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
In the Antiochian Church - but I also believe in Greek one - there are some celibate clergy who are given archimandrite title just by name, so to be able to be candidate for bishops, but they are not monks... So I believe it is the case.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nathanael said:
This is why I try (in my own use) to distinguish between celibate and true monastic clergy, as for some the tonsure is pro forma and out of obedience (which is totally ironic considering the ceremony itself goes out of its way to be about voluntarily submitting for the tonsure).
I didn't know that. Interesting, but really contradictory.
The ceremony of tonsure is (IMO) really moving.  But they take great pains to show that no one is coercing them to take on the Angelic life.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dominika said:
In the Antiochian Church - but I also believe in Greek one - there are some celibate clergy who are given archimandrite title just by name, so to be able to be candidate for bishops, but they are not monks... So I believe it is the case.
This is on a hierarch-by-hierarch basis for us.  Some of our Metropolitans insist on their Archimandrites officially being on the monastic rolls of a particular monastery (and want them to visit at least once per year), and others don't (doing as you describe for Antioch).

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
Dominika said:
Ok. If this is the case, then P. Andreas has only to resign from priesthood, but he's not transgressing a (monastic) vow.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
According to news he want to make a training to become a life coach & nutritional consulting. I hope he will continue to inspire people to love God and His Church on that way...

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
If his Instagram is any indication, he abandoned the priesthood because he loves wearing t-shirts.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Why is it I always hear about JK Rowling on Twitter but never anything about important issues like this? :cry:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Instagram post from 3 days ago...

There are people who want to see in an awkward and rude way the insides of your soul, your personal life, your life, and to interpret with their own arbitrary vocabulary all your own things.
But everything!
Do not allow it!
Set boundaries & guard them !!
I forgot: do not do it to others either !!!