• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Are bogus clergy coming your way?

observer

High Elder
Reaction score
With the pending union between ROCOR and MP, I suspect that there will be a migration  of clergy to and fro.  At the same time, I fear that some bogus clergy ranging from pseudo-readers to bishops will see this as an opportunity to get 'official' and/or canonical status.  It seems all too easy for some unscrupulous person to get into a canonical church through an open window in the back yard.  This has happened.  Does it mean that a person who is from bogus orders can have them recognized simply by admission into a canonical church?  Yes is the answer.  It's like me buying a PhD on the Internet and then by sheer luck, being offered a teaching position at an accredited institution like Berserkly.  Now Dr Observer is officially recognized by the ed establishment, despite having failed GED.  Let's hope that hierarchs will be observant and do a thorough background check on those who turn up dressed like an archimandrite.

Landon77

Elder
Reaction score
And I'm confused.  It just seems to me that if ROCOR is in communion with the MP, I will recognize them as canonical. 

aserb

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Instead of discussing this any further, maybe we all should offer prayers for the hierarchs for wisdom and discernment.

Reaction score
aserb said:
Instead of discussing this any further, maybe we all should offer prayers for the hierarchs for wisdom and discernment.
Excellent idea.

Usually works better than anything else.

dantxny

High Elder
Reaction score
My apologies, but is there a newer development or is this of the contiual reconcilliation?  Just wondering if I'd missed something.

Reaction score
dantxny said:
My apologies, but is there a newer development or is this of the contiual reconcilliation?  Just wondering if I'd missed something.
Go to their sites:
http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/01newstucture/pagesen/articles/fromeditors.html

&

http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/01newstucture/pagesen/articles/fromeditors.html

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Old Calendarist
Landon77 said:
And I'm confused.  It just seems to me that if ROCOR is in communion with the MP, I will recognize them as canonical. 
Seems to me they were already canonical. They have been with Serbia and Jerusalem the whole time; if that is the case and they are uncanonical then Serbia and Jerusalem are uncanonical for serving with uncanonical clergy, and since Moscow serves with Serbia that would mean it's uncanonical too ;)

Anastasios