• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Are the Vaccines affecting our spirituality? Orthodox Church Father Savvas.

Irish45

Elder
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that?
Of course! I suffer from severe anxiety. I was on an SSRI for like 8 or 9 years. I never lost my faith in God, but the medicine made me extremely indifferent to towards spirituality. I never realized that it was the medicine that was causing me to be indifferent until this year when I ran out, and I refuse to go back to the VA because they kept harassing me about the vaccine, it felt super uncomfortable going to the VA because of how hard they pushed the vaccine. After a couple of weeks of no medicine, I started to feel my desire to seek God dramatically increase. I’ve begun to become much more engaged in my faith, heck you can look at my post history here and see that I wasn’t very active over the past five or six years here, possibly even longer if you look. It’s really too bad because the SSRI drastically reduced my anxiety and made me able to live a much more comfortable life. It’s not worth it though if it destroys my desire to seek God.

I’ve also had a similar but less pronounced experience with stimulants like Adderal. On a side note, I think some of those stimulates can change a person’s sexual behavior, to include increasing promiscuity and or increasing same sex attraction. IMO, it’s one of the reasons Meth is a huge part of the gay community, I think it increases same sex attraction. There was a man in France who won a big court case because after he started using a parkinson’s drug, he started having same-sex encounters almost nightly, even though he was married and never had the urge before in his life. When I was on stimulants, I was all over dating apps like tinder. The higher the dose, the greater the change. When I took myself off stimulants, I stopped using the apps, but I still didn’t have much desire to seek God. After quitting my SSRI, that desire came flooding back. I’m fairness, I think the Covid situation has helped me have that desire as well. But to me, there’s no doubt my SSRI influenced my spirituality.

Irish45

Elder
Reaction score
Certain drugs (eg, caffeine) have clear effects when it comes to the perceptions of angelic powers. Some blunt the noetic information coming in, some blunt it going out (ie, a "stealth" mode), and other do both; you can test it yourself. This is not surprising, given that the human is the union of both physical and spiritual creation, though it can be a bit wild how often body and soul affect each other in interconnected ways.
I’ve never heard this about caffein, I’ll have to look into it more! Ty!

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
Of course! I suffer from severe anxiety. I was on an SSRI for like 8 or 9 years. I never lost my faith in God, but the medicine made me extremely indifferent to towards spirituality. I never realized that it was the medicine that was causing me to be indifferent until this year when I ran out, and I refuse to go back to the VA because they kept harassing me about the vaccine, it felt super uncomfortable going to the VA because of how hard they pushed the vaccine. After a couple of weeks of no medicine, I started to feel my desire to seek God dramatically increase. I’ve begun to become much more engaged in my faith, heck you can look at my post history here and see that I wasn’t very active over the past five or six years here, possibly even longer if you look. It’s really too bad because the SSRI drastically reduced my anxiety and made me able to live a much more comfortable life. It’s not worth it though if it destroys my desire to seek God.

I’ve also had a similar but less pronounced experience with stimulants like Adderal. On a side note, I think some of those stimulates can change a person’s sexual behavior, to include increasing promiscuity and or increasing same sex attraction. IMO, it’s one of the reasons Meth is a huge part of the gay community, I think it increases same sex attraction. There was a man in France who won a big court case because after he started using a parkinson’s drug, he started having same-sex encounters almost nightly, even though he was married and never had the urge before in his life. When I was on stimulants, I was all over dating apps like tinder. The higher the dose, the greater the change. When I took myself off stimulants, I stopped using the apps, but I still didn’t have much desire to seek God. After quitting my SSRI, that desire came flooding back. I’m fairness, I think the Covid situation has helped me have that desire as well. But to me, there’s no doubt my SSRI influenced my spirituality.
Thanks for sharing that! I pray you've found safer, more benign ways to handle and reduce your anxiety.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Meth is a huge part of the heterosexual community as well. It’s a cheap copy of heroin, that’s all.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Meth is a huge part of the heterosexual community as well. It’s a cheap copy of heroin, that’s all.
Meth and heroin are nothing alike in both their effect and chemistry. Meth is a stimulant and herioin is a depressant.

Irish45

Elder
Reaction score
Of course it’s a part of both communities, but Its much more prevalent in the gay community. Like someone else mentioned above, it’s nothing like heroin.

on a sidenote, I should’ve mentioned, that I’ve seen SSRIs help people a lot, so I wanna make sure people realize that I’m not saying all SSRIs are bad. They have their time in place, but people should be aware that they can definitely affect your spirituality.

Wyatt

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Latin Church
Too many (at least nominally) Orthodox bishops were all too ready to shut down for as long as the politicians told them. Did Nero or Diocletian simply have to say "pandemic" and all the Christians would have been obligated to end Christianity?
No one had the modern-day understanding of a pandemic or viruses then. Why don't we just stop vaccines for everything. That's what some seem to be advocating. :rolleyes:

hurrrah

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
I have a spot on my shoulder from a smallpox vaccination taken in infancy. And you know what? I've never had smallpox. This is a vaccination. And what is called a coronavirus vaccine is a political and commercial farce.
It seems that you think it's good to give up faith for the sake of (imaginary) health.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
We have a community now? Is there like a night where we all get together and play heterosexual board games or something? :LOL:

Bizzlebin

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
jbt.name
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
I have a spot on my shoulder from a smallpox vaccination taken in infancy. And you know what? I've never had smallpox. This is a vaccination. And what is called a coronavirus vaccine is a political and commercial farce.
It seems that you think it's good to give up faith for the sake of (imaginary) health.
It's unfortunate that some very old vaccine technologies left tiny lasting scars, scars which are no worse than from falling down and scraping one's knee. But you know what else they left? The skin around the scar, the rest of your flesh, your figure, your health, and your life. There is no either/or between health and faith. But there is an either/or if you reject science, the natural revelation of God's good creation: how can you have faith if you've refused medical treatment and are dead?

hurrrah

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
Apparently, I expressed my thought badly. I was vaccinated in grey ancient, in the Soviet Union, once and for all. That's how vaccines work. Those injections that we are forced to take every year / six months / three months / every day, by definition, are not vaccines.

Have you never read "For to me life is Christ, and death is gain"?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Apparently, I expressed my thought badly. I was vaccinated in grey ancient, in the Soviet Union, once and for all. That's how vaccines work. Those injections that we are forced to take every year / six months / three months / every day, by definition, are not vaccines.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Yes
In the 17th Century, Chinese physicians found that when certain preparations of smallpox were blown up the nose, they could lead to a milder illness than a natural infection would, followed by immunity. Eventually the technique spread to Europe and the Americas, where it generally involved rubbing infectious material into a puncture in the skin. As it spread around the globe, eventually some leaders mandated this kind of inoculation. For example, during the American Revolutionary War, in 1777, general George Washington required all troops to be inoculated against smallpox.

Nothing new under the sun.

Richmond

Reaction score
Faith
Confused Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Out of curiosity, have you given polio a second thought since you completed your vaccination series? I know I haven't. Yet people who have had all the suggested COVID injections are still running scared at the thought of a new variant (that at the moment is spreading pretty quickly in my country but has only been a factor in one death AFAIK). Those triple-injected people sound really confident in their vaccinations /s

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Out of curiosity, have you given polio a second thought since you completed your vaccination series?
Considering I was less than 1 year old, I'm sure I didn't give it any thought, before or after. I'm sure my parents did, however; they were both adults before any form of vaccine was out, and any thought of eradication was still science fiction at the time.

Those triple-injected people sound really confident in their vaccinations /s
Well, it seems not everyone is a drama queen of the calibre you're used to associating with.