• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Are the Vaccines affecting our spirituality? Orthodox Church Father Savvas.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
You can still get COVID even if you’re not hospitalised. I guess currently available vaccines mostly protect COVID from being actually fatal but they wont give you immunity.
Vaccines are not forcefields to keep pathogens away. They are training programs for the immune system, so it can neutralise the pathogens close to the points of entry, before they replicate enough to make you ill. Hence, loads of asymptomatic cases (which we only know about because we test so much), and more loads of mild-flu levels of sickness. Given the alternative, that's good enough.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
Given the alternative, that's good enough.
Agreed. But still not immunity. Vaccines should not be over-sold. It only breeds conspiracy theories. I have three doses and most likely I still get sick at some point.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Agreed. But still not immunity. Vaccines should not be over-sold. It only breeds conspiracy theories. I have three doses and most likely I still get sick at some point.
No one has oversold them. I don't know how the vaccination campaign is promoted in Finland, but over here it's all about 'stay out of hospital and let the health workers do their job and care for those who have no choice but to be in there'. My husband and child, like everyone who has to go to work or school, have been testing twice a week since in-person teaching resumed (March-July 2021, then again from September onwards. They've never tested positive, even though educators have 3x the infection rates of any other profession, even health workers, and kids can't be expected to be always scrupulous with the other measures. Husband's supervisor's daughter, who attends another school, caught Omicron; her mother, who looked after her, didn't. It's working. Not ironclad, but nothing in this life is.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So no immunity to the disease. Glad we agree. 😘
I kind of disagree with this. Immunity is never 100% and the severity/duration of the infection depends on the individual circumstances. Our immune system is imperfect. We can help it out through vaccines but it will still remain imperfect.

Back to HEK293, more likely than not it was an abortion to save the life of the mother (eg., an ectopic pregnancy). The idea of destroying thousand and thousand of lives, families, loss of income to survive, etc. on the basis of there being a low probability illegal abortion without evidence makes me want to cry. This why I can't stand these threads. It is heartless. I can't comprehend it and I am frightened by it.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
So no immunity to the disease. Glad we agree. 😘
And if 'partial immunity' = 'no immunity' to you, then vaccines have no long-term effects whatsoever. Glad we agree.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
The idea of destroying thousand and thousand of lives, families, loss of income to survive, etc. on the basis of there being a low probability of dying makes me want to cry.
Yes.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
And if 'partial immunity' = 'no immunity' to you, then vaccines have no long-term effects whatsoever. Glad we agree.
Do adverse reactions, some of which may be long term or permanent (death), not count as "long term effects"?

And then there's this, if you're open to the possibility that there's more than one way to deal with Covid--a just released pre-print which may not yet have been peer-reviewed:

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Do adverse reactions, some of which may be long term or permanent (death), not count as "long term effects"?
No. Bugs of extremely rare occurrence are not classified as features. There's nothing inherently wrong or dangerous about a foodstuff that disagrees with you, even if you are the only person on earth it disagrees with.

And then there's this, if you're open to the possibility that there's more than one way to deal with Covid--a just released pre-print which may not yet have been peer-reviewed:
I'm wide open to (a) disease prevention through vaccination, and (b) if cure becomes necessary, use of provenly effective drugs under the guidance of qualified health providers. Ivermectin doesn't fit either paradigm.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
There are millions of things that can kill you in life.
I don't think its fair to label people who choose not to vax as murderers.

And where did i call or label them as 'murderers'?

I said ' But that is not a reason to endanger those around you or bring disease to those caring for you......who might yet need to time to get to that same position of repentance.'

Endangering whether by purpose (murder) or involuntary .... I in no way said that not taking the vaccine causes you to willingly murder those around you....you might want to reread....

but their mortal souls might be not yet repentant enough to not fear death, when someone accidentally dies...and while this is true of a million reasons, in this case there is something those around them can do to help prevent that, and given them more time to reach that repentant state.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
That seems like placing a person's repentance in the hands of another.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Not exactly no...

But our actions whether 'voluntary or involuntary' can still be in error.....

Agunomu

BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Houston

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Short for 'about to lose posting privileges'. Next time, consider using the Report button.~A

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Short for jaywalking with a kiwi.
Well, since kiwis are extinct (except for the fruit), and jaywalking is technically illegal in most places.....I'll ask again...is that supposed to mean something?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Kiwis are very much not extinct, and jaywalking is a thing only in the US. Do not feed the troll.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
I must've been thinking of the moa bird. Excuse me. Isn't the U.S. considered "most places"? I mean, after all, we ARE the centre of the known universe :D.

And I still don't know what Agunomu's gibberish was supposed to mean. Maybe I'm better off that way.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
My mother (nearly 22 years of blessed Repose) would say, "just ignore them"

cabbages

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Personally I have both vaccines and the booster, and I think they're good and useful for most people. But some people treat them like a golden calf, to their spiritual detriment, in my opinion.

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
In the 17th Century, Chinese physicians found that when certain preparations of smallpox were blown up the nose, they could lead to a milder illness than a natural infection would, followed by immunity. Eventually the technique spread to Europe and the Americas, where it generally involved rubbing infectious material into a puncture in the skin. As it spread around the globe, eventually some leaders mandated this kind of inoculation. For example, during the American Revolutionary War, in 1777, general George Washington required all troops to be inoculated against smallpox.

Nothing new under the sun.
Chinese invented Marijuana, too. It's been a mystery where the word comes from, it turns out it comes from the Chinese railroad workers in Mexico and California.

Unless your state says otherwise, I think everyone should try it at least once. In Pennsylvania for example I would qualify for medicinal use, and not too far away, in Michigan I would qualify for recreational use, due to my age (I'm 21 years+)

Actually New Jersey is supposed to have the recreational stuff but instead I had to import it while I was there. I think it is available in DC, haven't tried it. While I'm at it, you can have it delivered to your parking place in California. Good stuff, too. Full gram of the new hash for only $20.

Last edited:

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
Medicinal whiskey was a real thing, I don't know why it isn't more popular today.