• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Are there still Mysteries and Secrets in Christianity, if so why?

Ikonos

Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Are there still Mysteries and Secrets in Christianity, if so why?

I am confused and somewhat angry as to the need if any for Mysteries, Secrecy and rituals in Christianity today.
Ok, so I know scripture says 'not casting pearls before swine' and teaching in parables etc. I can see the point of secrecy in past times when Christians were heavily persecuted, in some ways and places they still are.

My issue is that now has history repeated itself? I.e have the Priesthood lost the keys to the kingdom - have they not gone in themselves and and have they stopped others going in too?

I am only too certain that the Roman Catholics, Anglican, Protestants (for whom I feel pity, disgust and contempt) and have lost the keys long ago, The Baptists, J Witnesses etc. never had them anyway. I am sure some Orthodox Churches and Monasteries still have some knowledge of the Mysteries but there is something seriously wrong - there is a conspicuous absence of light and signs for this generation!

I have been to Catholic and Anglican Liturgy - I am both devastated and disgusted at such a sham, graceless spectacle!

What if someone were to come by hidden Mysteries through their own efforts and divine revelation? Who should they tell if any?
Is anyone still worthy?

Some Orthodox Bishops now say there will not be a golden revival before the Anti-christ.

I can see why some things should be withheld from the profane - but there is so much suffering in this World - why can't all be revealed now so end times will be shortened - or is our long-suffering all part of the divine plan? Have we not repented fully?

I don't want to disrespect those Martyrs and Christians who suffered tortures and died rather than betray Christ but will a useless servant, keeping his talent always buried, not be condemmed also?

In times past, Christians were Baptised and taught in months not years. In latter times, even Bishops, monastics and elders are kept mostly in the dark. E.g Gerontissa Gabrielia (1897-1992) was only taught the Great Schema on her Deathbed!

Ok, so I can understand we don't want anyone starting new Religions based on stolen knowledge as happened previously.

Have Christians, in these dark Covid days now got to retreat to their own homes and a household Worship, as advised by Metropolitan Angafangel ( Rocor-A ):

'Metropolitan Agafangel: How can we live in the modern world '
... I call on all laity who wish to belong to the Church of Christ to organize parishes at home, and not wait for someone to build a church and send a priest. Our reality is that many are waiting for something that may never be.....'
http://internetsobor.org/index.php/...lit-agafangel-kak-nam-zhit-v-sovremennom-mire

Lord have mercy on all true Christians!

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I don’t think we refuse to explain what sacraments are, but in Greek, the word ‘mysterion’ means sacraments.

We do not let people from other churches take part in the sacraments, because if they are not 100% in union with our way of thinking, it may harm them.Think of St. Paul’s warning about Holy Communion.

There is sometimes an exception for marriage, so that on person may ‘shine a light’ on the other.

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, even some of those inside of Orthodoxy aren't given the keys. I suggest reading st. Maximos the confessor. They don't call him confessor for no reason. Its also Christ himself that is the transformative figure and I'm not sure if he exists outside of the orthodox communion. I'm still searching though.

Ikonos

Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Unfortunately, even some of those inside of Orthodoxy aren't given the keys. ....
Exactly the problem, or though I can partly understand why. Everywhere there has been outbreaks of light and peace throughout human history it seems forces have conspired to destroy them. Wars, schisms, natural disasters, heresies - it's a fragile World. Apparently, if any of the Priesthood reveal Mysteries to the unworthy they will get some awful kind of punishment - God having withdrawn protection.

... I suggest reading st. Maximos the confessor. They don't call him confessor for no reason. Its also Christ himself that is the transformative figure and I'm not sure if he exists outside of the orthodox communion. I'm still searching though.
Thanks Tzimis, will study asap.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
Even the most basic things of Orthodox life are complete mysteries, even to the so-called experts who are filled with knowledge derived from books, to those who have not practiced and experienced them. If someone asks me about something, I can explain it a bit. But if they really want to know, they have to experience it for themselves, in the way God prescribes, and according to God's will.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
We are privy to, and know all that we need to know to attain salvation, and to lead others to salvation.

How can the creation, even deem to understand the Creator? ....and to what purpose?

We have the 10 Commandments, we have the Commandments of Christ - to love God and neighbor; we have been told that when we see Christ, we the Father; the Trinity was revealed to us during Theophany; we have millions of saints/witnesses; we were told when we feed the least of these, we feed Christ...

The fact that we do not know the exact second that bread/wine turns into the very Body/Blood of Christ, is inconsequential. Why do we need to know?

When someone goes in for brain surgery, they trust that the surgeon knows what he is doing... the patient does not need to know the nuances of how to saw open the brain, how the neurons work, which lobe of the brain does what, etc.

Trust in the Lord, and all will be well. He is true to His promises... and He is with us today, tomorrow, and to the bitter end.... and beyond.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
"It will work out." "How do you know?" "It's a mystery." :