• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Are there such things as "soul mates"?

idontlikenames

Reaction score
This is something I've been wondering to myself the last few days....

Do I have a soul-mate?

If so, is she of necessity, Orthodox?  Should, "Are you Orthodox" be a pick-up line?  Can God give you a non-christian for a soul-mate?  Or is it all just an old-wive's tale?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Raguel, "one of the seven [Arch]angels who enter and serve before the Glory of the Lord," (Tob. 12:15) said to Tobiah of Sarah: "Your marriage to her has been decided in heaven!" (Tob. 7:11 NAB; or, according to the Oxford Bible, "she was destined for you from eternity" Tob. 6:17). I don't think this means that everyone has a "soul mate," but I do think that it is possible. And if it was ordained from heaven, I would think that if you are Orthodox, she would either have to be Orthodox, or have to be led by you to Orthodoxy for her to be a soul mate. The latter part is especially disputable though, since strictly speaking (though who is strict about such matters today?) the Church says not to marry outside of herself.

Tony

Reaction score
I really don't believe soul mates. I do think there are a number of people of the opposite sex that we are compatible with and it has more to do with being in the right place at the right time.

MsGuided

Elder
Reaction score
Tony said:
I really don't believe soul mates. I do think there are a number of people of the opposite sex that we are compatible with and it has more to do with being in the right place at the right time.
OK I know I'm late to this, but I agree.  I mean, what about monks and nuns? Their "soul mate" is God and the Church.

Donna Rose

High Elder
Reaction score
here's my penny :) i dont believe in soul mates, because when u think about a Christian marriage, Who is at the center of it? God. what im getting at is, i think that as long as two people share an idea of what they are working towards - Christian marriage and family with God at the center - it is thoroulghly possible that one person would be able to diligently work towards this goal with more than one other single person in the world. dont get me wrong, compatibility must be there, and ideally a selfless love for the other person (altho it isnt unprecedented that marriages that begin without a sense of deep deep love for one another grow into this in time). romantic love is a tricky thing...it is very easy for it to warp into something other than love (as soon as it becomes selfish, which it very easily can). so soul mates, yea, i dont think there are any really. on the other hand, i feel like a person can grow into someone new WITH someone else, and as a result find it very very difficult to find that with someone else after the fact, if that makes sense, but i still wouldnt characterized the situation as that of soul mates.

ania

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Do you mean "soulmate" in the sense that she's you "one and only" "one true love" yada yada yada?  I think, that they are possibly two completely different things.  If you are married to someone who is both, then you are truely blessed.