Are you annoyed by evangelists?

GammaRay

High Elder
Reaction score
Greece had always been peaceful for me and the only conflict was probably between Orthodox Christians and a few atheists (and, maybe, Jehovah's Witnesses too). Recently, I -all surprisingly- had some encounters with evangelizing Protestants; both on the internet and in real life.
When I say Protestants, of course, I'm not talking about Lutherans or Christians who know History, but about non-denominational "Sola-Scriptura-Christians" who wander the streets and preach the Word of God.
Although I do admire their great faith, I am very, very, very annoyed by the fact that they preach what they believe as a universally accepted truth, which condemns anyone who denies it as an idiot.
They can't even answer the simplest questions, yet they choose to keep on preaching about it.

What's even more bothering? They often use quotes, books and other evidence from other fields (science, songs, whatever suits the situation), but they will not even dare to use a Saint's quote!

I really don't get it. Why would so many people who have been brought up in an Orthodox environment didn't bother to study some Orthodox theology, since they are so much interested in the Bible?

What do you think about those kind of Evangelists?
Is there any way to put them into thinking about Orthodoxy, rather than instantly reject it as a form of "human wisdom which was made up by religion and not God"?

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
GammaRay said:
What's even more bothering? They often use quotes, books and other evidence from other fields (science, songs, whatever suits the situation), but they will not even dare to use a Saint's quote!
What makes you think they even believe in the Saints, let alone want to use their words in an argument?

GammaRay said:
I really don't get it. Why would so many people who have been brought up in an Orthodox environment didn't bother to study some Orthodox theology, since they are so much interested in the Bible?
What makes you think they were brought up in an Orthodox environment? I have a friend who grew up in Romania, yet was raised Pentecostal. Just because someone lives in an Orthodox country doesn't mean they were exposed to Orthodoxy enough to understand it.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I suppose it just depends on the evangelist.  Some bring a great message with love and humility; others have something to prove.

mathetes

Reaction score
GammaRay said:
What's even more bothering? They often use quotes, books and other evidence from other fields (science, songs, whatever suits the situation), but they will not even dare to use a Saint's quote! ...
Do you consider Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Peter, James, and Jude saints?  Would you say a quote from one of those men is a quote from a saint?   ???

Liz

High Elder
Reaction score
deusveritasest said:
I would rather call them evangelicals than evangelists.
Am I annoyed by evangelicals? Yes. Just as I am by anyone who has the discourtesy to presume my belief is the result of a state of ignorance.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Am I annoyed by [TV] evangelists?  No.  I pity them and the their blind followers.

Nacho

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I recently got into it at work with two people who were followers of some of these television evangelist. They straight up looked at me like I was crazy for denouncing 'God's chosen ones.' They made it known that bad things could happen to me in so many words for having the audacity to question these mighty men of God. There was some tense back and forth bantering for about half an hour in the break room while many others looked on. I could not even attempt to have a logical reasonable conversion with these people. They were right in my face the whole time lol. They stormed out after I wouldn't back down and insisted I thought these evangelist were heretics and white wash sepulchers. Everyone in the breakroom thanked me for standing up to these 'holier than though' bullies. Some chick came in shortly after and said the lady I was arguing with was crying and she heard her say some very irrational things. I told everyone I could care less and don't give an F because it's Christians like that who put a bad taste in everyone else's mouth. Everyone agreed and people were dumbfounded at the sheer ignorance and unwillingness these two so called Christians displayed. That's what the extreme pentecostal faith movement does to people...turns them into raving nut jobs.   

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Liz said:
Am I annoyed by evangelicals? Yes. Just as I am by anyone who has the discourtesy to presume my belief is the result of a state of ignorance.
A bit of a veiled stab at the Orthodox assumptions about Anglicans?  ;)

Liz

High Elder
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Liz said:
A bit of a veiled stab at the Orthodox assumptions about Anglicans?  ;)
Not particularly. I've encountered this attitude from plenty of people, from devout Muslims to the parts of my family who are atheist. I get pretty irritated by people who stand around with banners telling me God hates Homos, or God punishes Muslims, and asking me if I'm prepared to take Jesus Christ as my Personal Saviour? (Answer: No, I'm not so selfish as to pretend Christ is 'my Personal Saviour', and I suspect He is the Saviour whether I want Him to be or not). These people are often what we call Evangelicals.

But, to be fair, I must observe that plenty of people with less irritating and/or blasphemous views can also evangelise, and evangelise badly. That was all.

Liz.

Liz

High Elder
Reaction score
Nacho said:
I recently got into it at work with two people who were followers of some of these television evangelist. They straight up looked at me like I was crazy for denouncing 'God's chosen ones.' They made it known that bad things could happen to me in so many words for having the audacity to question these mighty men of God. There was some tense back and forth bantering for about half an hour in the break room while many others looked on. I could not even attempt to have a logical reasonable conversion with these people. They were right in my face the whole time lol. They stormed out after I wouldn't back down and insisted I thought these evangelist were heretics and white wash sepulchers. Everyone in the breakroom thanked me for standing up to these 'holier than though' bullies. Some chick came in shortly after and said the lady I was arguing with was crying and she heard her say some very irrational things. I told everyone I could care less and don't give an F because it's Christians like that who put a bad taste in everyone else's mouth. Everyone agreed and people were dumbfounded at the sheer ignorance and unwillingness these two so called Christians displayed. That's what the extreme pentecostal faith movement does to people...turns them into raving nut jobs.   

Yeah, questioning men of God would be bad. Now, what was that man's name ... you know, the one who welcomed questions even from small children and the ignorant, and who patiently sat and answered them? Oh yeah .... Jesus Christ.

GammaRay

High Elder
Reaction score
mathetes said:
Do you consider Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Peter, James, and Jude saints?  Would you say a quote from one of those men is a quote from a saint????
Well, I include those Saints in the Scripture's ones. My point was about the Church Fathers etc., who are not in the Bible.

Catherine

Elder
Reaction score
Are you annoyed by evangelists?
Nope - I have the power...

As for the internet, I know where the "logout" button is.  I also have a nice set of earphones.... 8)

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Nacho said:
You were a bit "holier than thou" yourself.  Physician, heal thyself.

Liz

High Elder
Reaction score
Are we all talking about the same thing when we say Evangelicals? I got a bit confused by posts like Catherine's and like this one:

scamandrius said:
Is Evangelism particularly to do with television or being sanctimonious? What I've always thought of as Evengelicals are those people whose main religious activity is (or at least appears to be) not worship, but the conversion of others. The people who would never agree with the view that has been stated by Douglas on this forum, that there are 'some sheep outside the fold, and some wolves within'. In my experience they can be quite offensive and I would neither be able to ignore them like Catherine, nor would I think of them as 'holier than thou'. Does the term have a totally different connotation than this that I'm not aware of?

(Btw, thanks Heorhji)

Catherine

Elder
Reaction score
Liz said:
Are we all talking about the same thing when we say Evangelicals? I got a bit confused by posts like Catherine's and like this one:

scamandrius said:
Is Evangelism particularly to do with television or being sanctimonious? What I've always thought of as Evengelicals are those people whose main religious activity is (or at least appears to be) not worship, but the conversion of others. The people who would never agree with the view that has been stated by Douglas on this forum, that there are 'some sheep outside the fold, and some wolves within'. In my experience they can be quite offensive and I would neither be able to ignore them like Catherine, nor would I think of them as 'holier than thou'. Does the term have a totally different connotation than this that I'm not aware of?

(Btw, thanks Heorhji)
An "evangelist" is one who shares the "good news", of course. Sometimes it is best to shut up (remember this, Sarah   :-X ) and act out the Gospel - forget words, try to be an example. However, on "thefreedictionary.com", evangelical is defined as..

"of certain Protestant sects which emphasize salvation through faith alone and a belief in the absolute authority of the Bible."

I was referring to TV evangelists also, but my comments were tongue in cheek. I do have quite a few "evangelical" friends. The "holier than thou" attitude can be found in all parts of the church, that is, in all "denominations." I would say, there are times when keeping quiet is not the solution (for all involved). This isn't about me as I can, thankfully, deal with it and pray, but I do witness the "holier than thou" attitude and I am aware of the effects it has on people/Christianity. People often stick up for others rather than themselves. I have to be true to what I believe in all circumstances, but rebuking others/"looking down upon people" in the name of Christianity is what I would object to. I would not do it. If asked I could give my opinion but no way would I actually "rebuke"/point the finger whilst talking about Christ. As I said (elsewhere), you come across all sorts of scenarios in the workplace, severe rudeness is one! I would object if I witnessed a person being rude to another. I have to be careful, that's not the same as being a people pleaser but it is so easy to come over as holier than thou and judgemental, even if I don't mean it that way.