Are you watching the wedding of William Windsor and Catherine Middleton?

Are you watching the wedding of William Windsor and Catherine Middleton?

  • no, I couldn't care less

    Votes: 20 48.8%
  • no, i'd like to but i need to sleep

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, I wouldn't miss it

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • no, I'll just wait for the royal divorce

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I'm not watching it live but I plan to watch it later in the day

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • yes but only because I think Kate is a knock out

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Yes, because I think William is a dreamboat

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes because I'm devoted to the monarchy

    Votes: 3 7.3%

  • Total voters
    41

Robb

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jul 5, 2009
Messages
1,537
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New Jersey and Kansas
I watched it, was a neat ceremony, full of all the pomp and splendor that English people love so dearly.  It always strikes me as odd, even crass how so many Americans (Especially so called conservative types like Bill O Reilly and Glenn Beck) Go about trashing the Royal Wedding as stuck up and "elitist".  Affairs like this have been going on for centuries and the ceremony and circumstances that accompany them are all but fitting (If actually tame) Compared to an event of such magnitude in the life of any nation.

Americans tend to be so "down to Earth" when presented with such things that it defies explanation.  True, this country was founded as a republic in the rejection of monarchy, but does that mean that we have to hold all ceremony and ritual in disgrace and disregard?  It does not suprise me that  A good number of Americans are both fascinated and infatuated with foreign royalty.  Our country has so little ceremony and such disregard for it that the innate desire and inner longing of our citizens just crave some of this, especially in their daily lives.  Our politicians certainly are not anything near royalty (They actually try to go out of their way in distancing themselves from privilege in order to identify with the "common" people).  American society tries to program all its adherents to think like this, but despite all that educating about class equality, the common folk all (Or mostly all) know that their is something special about these people something that no open collared alderman trying to rub elbows with the slack jaws on election day could ever replace.  People just have an instinctive feeling about Monarchy, one which no democracy could ever unlearn from their minds or rip from their hearts.

God save these royals!
 
Joined
Apr 10, 2011
Messages
3,125
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Sydney, Australia
ialmisry said:
Christ is risen!
Keble said:
I watched it because I had to be up that early anyway. It was an excellent example of a decently-and-in-order Anglican service.
I'll give you that. If only the rest of the communion was like that!  A decent, Orthodox service.
I was so pleased.

I've been trying to convince my parents that orthodox Anglicans are doing a pretty decent job at the whole Christianity thing, but in their mind, Anglicanism means lesbian bishops and irreverent liturgy.

The apostle reading was suitably non-superficial and challenging.
 

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ialmisry said:
Christ is risen!
88Devin12 said:
I just spotted an Orthodox Bishop amidst the crowd. I noticed he wasn't singing with everyone else...

Apparently it is/was Archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira.

I find it interesting that as "opposed" as they are supposed to be to the Roman Catholics, at how many Roman Catholic bishops were invited.


Also, there were a few points where I felt like vomiting because of the somewhat poor representation of marriage that they were giving (even the Anglican Bishops). At least it's a better representation than much of the world, but it's still weak.
How so?
They are Kings & Queens of their own marriage is one example. Sure, as Orthodox we do put crowns on the couple's heads, but that is because they are to become martyrs for one another and are dying for each other, not because they are "king & queen" of their marriage.
There was also no mention of God's place in the marriage, that is, they treated it as if it was just him and her.  The treatement of marriage as a legal contract (both secular and religious) is also weak and theologically incorrect...
There were other things as well...
But it was much better than many Protestant marriage services.
 

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
14,838
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
67
Location
Maryland
My wife had friends sleep over and then wake up early to watch.

They wore hats and ate cucumber sandwiches, "Digestives" ( cookies by what i could tell) and something in a can called "Spotted Dick"

Heinz makes it and ..........well............ I have no idea.

Her family is Clan Stewart.
 

mabsoota

Archon
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
2,859
Reaction score
0
Points
0
88devin12,
about prince phillip being orthodox...
he is the head of britain's free-masons. i think that means he's not orthodox.
ialmisry,
was his mother an orthodox nun? i think i am missing an interesting story here, please do share it!

from a british perspective, i was pleased to be working.
the reason being is that british state-religion hybrid ceremonies leave me with cold feet and bad memories of school. this is partly because there are still a lot of old-fashioned people in the uk who pretend to believe in religion (Christianity or paganism) when they feel like it, and then deny it and worship darwin and karl marx when they feel like it. these people go to church 2 or 3 times a year, tell small but pious young children to shut up in church and to stop enjoying themselves, then they act like they are super special, but then have all sorts of romantic affairs and get regularly drunk watching football (ok, the football is optional).
it was the children of these quasi-religious people who used to bully me terribly at school for actually believing in God. they had given up belief in God together with belief in father Christmas (around age 8) but i shan't start on father Christmas, it's another debate. it's enough to say that if your children see you pretending to believe something you obviously don't (kids are smarter that you think), eventually they will follow you in the pretence ('don't tell mum we've found out about dad being father Christmas') and then leave religion as well.

but my husband was at home, and said the sermon was quite good. and i liked the dress, more modest than most people these days, maybe we'll have a new fashion of modesty! (ok, i can but dream..)
 

bogdan

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
akimori makoto said:
I've been trying to convince my parents that orthodox Anglicans are doing a pretty decent job at the whole Christianity thing, but in their mind, Anglicanism means lesbian bishops and irreverent liturgy.
Well, so long as Canturbury maintains communion with lesbian bishops, it does mean that.

If the high-church Anglicans would cut off the sick branches from their vine, perhaps we could resume the unity talks that existed at the end of the 19th century. I'd be up for it; it was a beautiful ceremony.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,121
Reaction score
44
Points
48
Age
41
bogdan said:
If the high-church Anglicans would cut off the sick branches from their vine, perhaps we could resume the unity talks that existed at the end of the 19th century. I'd be up for it; it was a beautiful ceremony.
The talks were cut off long before there was a hint of the issues that most complain about today. To paraphrase St. Raphael of Brooklyn, the Anglicans--including the most traditional/conservative ones--simply have a different faith.
 

mabsoota

Archon
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
2,859
Reaction score
0
Points
0
there are a few becoming orthodox and a few trying to prevent the full destruction of the church as a Christian organisation.
there are even areas where people are turning to God genuinely and sincerely, but the leadership is plagued with too many people who never seriously believed it in the first place and just do the job for money.
that's what you get with a state religion...
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,794
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Chicago
88Devin12 said:
ialmisry said:
Christ is risen!
88Devin12 said:
I just spotted an Orthodox Bishop amidst the crowd. I noticed he wasn't singing with everyone else...

Apparently it is/was Archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira.

I find it interesting that as "opposed" as they are supposed to be to the Roman Catholics, at how many Roman Catholic bishops were invited.


Also, there were a few points where I felt like vomiting because of the somewhat poor representation of marriage that they were giving (even the Anglican Bishops). At least it's a better representation than much of the world, but it's still weak.
How so?
They are Kings & Queens of their own marriage is one example. Sure, as Orthodox we do put crowns on the couple's heads, but that is because they are to become martyrs for one another and are dying for each other, not because they are "king & queen" of their marriage.
Actually, that is an aspect of the crowns that is expounded on (the king and queen of their family) in Orthodoxy.  I don't recall the exact wording, but there was plenty said about dyinig for each other.

One thing that was impressive was the service was the exact same that the lowliest commoner would have gotten.  Not as fancy, of course, but the same service.  As an institution of God (as was pointed out several times) and not the instrument of state.

88Devin12 said:
There was also no mention of God's place in the marriage, that is, they treated it as if it was just him and her.
We must have been watching different services, as from the start there was plenty of talk about marriage as "the mystery showing the unity betwixt Christ and His Church."  When the Archbishop asked "who gives this woman to be given to his man" her father gave her hand to the archbishop, not the husband, and the archbishop gave it to Willaim.  The archbishop then wrapped their hands together with his pallium saying "What God has joined together, let no many tear asunder."  Quite Orthodox.

88Devin12 said:
The treatement of marriage as a legal contract (both secular and religious) is also weak and theologically incorrect...
that's true, but given the misunderstanding of marriage in the West, they did damn good.
88Devin12 said:
There were other things as well...
as?
88Devin12 said:
But it was much better than many Protestant marriage services.
not sure that says all that much, but yes.
 

Robb

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jul 5, 2009
Messages
1,537
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New Jersey and Kansas
from a british perspective, i was pleased to be working.
the reason being is that british state-religion hybrid ceremonies leave me with cold feet and bad memories of school. this is partly because there are still a lot of old-fashioned people in the uk who pretend to believe in religion (Christianity or paganism) when they feel like it, and then deny it and worship darwin and karl marx when they feel like it. these people go to church 2 or 3 times a year, tell small but pious young children to shut up in church and to stop enjoying themselves, then they act like they are super special, but then have all sorts of romantic affairs and get regularly drunk watching football (ok, the football is optional).


There are people like that in every religion.  Is it really that different in yours?  Maybe it is since you Copts are a persecuted minority and have been so for centuries.  In order to belong to the Church in Muslim lands, I guess you really have believe in and be regularly practicing to do so.  However, in the Western world (Both Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant countires) This is not the case and cultural religion is the order of the day and has been so for a long, long time.
 

sainthieu

High Elder
Joined
Mar 18, 2010
Messages
621
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I accidentally stumbled on to a bit of the wedding online and heard the most sublime piece of Christian choral music it has ever been my privilege to hear. I would go so far as to assert that it is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed. Surely, the Holy Spirit is present in every note. It is transcendent and makes you want to throw yourself to the ground and beg God for forgiveness.

The event is priceless for no other reason than this.
 

mabsoota

Archon
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
2,859
Reaction score
0
Points
0
sorry, robb, the 'cultural' practice of Christianity was a big contributor to my childhood bruises, so i suppose i came across a bit bitter. i wasn't even in a minority group like 'house-church' or orthodox at the time, we went to a methodist church!
i will repent and pray for my enemies!
 

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
0
Points
0
LOL, I dunno if this is real or not, but this is a video of an Anglican Vicar doing a cartwheel after everyone was gone:
http://youtu.be/YxOKkQ8pYKQ
 

mabsoota

Archon
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
2,859
Reaction score
0
Points
0
no problem with that, as long as his theology is ok, nothing in the Bible or church fathers prohibiting cartwheels.
last week i was kicking a football around with my priest, so acrobatics ok with me  :)
 

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
0
Points
0
mabsoota said:
no problem with that, as long as his theology is ok, nothing in the Bible or church fathers prohibiting cartwheels.
last week i was kicking a football around with my priest, so acrobatics ok with me  :)
in the church?
 

mabsoota

Archon
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
2,859
Reaction score
0
Points
0
outside!
not in the sanctuary LOL, we are orthodox!
:D
edit:
i hadn't realised he did it in the church, i saw the tree and assumed it was outside.
they put a tree in the church....
???
 

Keble

Protokentarchos
Joined
Mar 31, 2003
Messages
3,623
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
60
Location
Maryland
88Devin12 said:
LOL, I dunno if this is real or not, but this is a video of an Anglican Vicar doing a cartwheel after everyone was gone:
http://youtu.be/YxOKkQ8pYKQ
Verger, not vicar: a sort of liturgical sheepdog.
 

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
0
Points
0
mabsoota said:
outside!
not in the sanctuary LOL, we are orthodox!
:D
edit:
i hadn't realised he did it in the church, i saw the tree and assumed it was outside.
they put a tree in the church....
???
yes, Princess Catherine requested that trees be placed in the Church. Apparently the small town she is from is famous for it's forests and trees, and she grew up with a love of nature. (this according to BBC)
 

Veniamin

Archon
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
3,372
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Texas
88Devin12 said:
mabsoota said:
outside!
not in the sanctuary LOL, we are orthodox!
:D
edit:
i hadn't realised he did it in the church, i saw the tree and assumed it was outside.
they put a tree in the church....
???
yes, Princess Catherine requested that trees be placed in the Church. Apparently the small town she is from is famous for it's forests and trees, and she grew up with a love of nature. (this according to BBC)
Properly speaking, she is not Princess Catherine.  Her title is Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge, but she is not styled as "Princess Catherine."
 

Tikhon29605

High Elder
Joined
May 20, 2003
Messages
670
Reaction score
0
Points
0
One thing I noted well about the ceremony is that the entire text of the Wedding Service was taken from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer and the wording was not modernized or updated one bit, nor was it 'translated' into more politically-correct English that the modernist reformers everywhere seem to force upon churches.  Yet I understood every single word of it, and found it beautiful and full of dignity and reverence.

I really like the traditional, liturgical English with the 'thees and thous' in it and think FAR MORE people understand it (and like it and enjoy it) than the current "language police" (whoever they may be) want to admit.

Long live traditional, liturgical, ecclesiastical English! :)
 

genesisone

Archon
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
2,906
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
68
Location
Niagara Region, Ontario
Veniamin said:
Properly speaking, she is not Princess Catherine.  Her title is Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge, but she is not styled as "Princess Catherine."
Quite right. We had enough of "Princess Diana", who was quite properly the Lady Diana, Princess of Wales. However, I believe "Princess William" would also be correct, sort of a "Mrs. Prince William", though I doubt she will ever be formally referred to as such. In giving the couple the title of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, I think the Queen has made her views known about how we should all refer to the newlyweds.

As a point of contrast, HRH the Duke of Edinburgh was created a Prince of the United Kingdom by the Queen in 1957 and as such is properly called "Prince Philip".
 

bergschlawiner

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Messages
235
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
85
Location
North Bend WA
Just curious, what were those nuns dressed in grey who were seated adjacent to William and very close to the bridal couple during the exit march?
 

Keble

Protokentarchos
Joined
Mar 31, 2003
Messages
3,623
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
60
Location
Maryland
bergschlawiner said:
Just curious, what were those nuns dressed in grey who were seated adjacent to William and very close to the bridal couple during the exit march?
They are Anglican nuns on the Westminster Abbey staff. I don't know why they were seated so prominently but there you are.
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Tikhon29605 said:
One thing I noted well about the ceremony is that the entire text of the Wedding Service was taken from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer and the wording was not modernized or updated one bit, nor was it 'translated' into more politically-correct English that the modernist reformers everywhere seem to force upon churches.  Yet I understood every single word of it, and found it beautiful and full of dignity and reverence.

I really like the traditional, liturgical English with the 'thees and thous' in it and think FAR MORE people understand it (and like it and enjoy it) than the current "language police" (whoever they may be) want to admit.

Long live traditional, liturgical, ecclesiastical English! :)
IIRC, the 1662 prayer book was the last legally approved BCP by parliament. That's why the modern prayer books are styled as "books of alternative services."

celticfan1888 said:
Tallitot said:
Are you watching the wedding of William Windsor and Catherine Middleton?
That's His Royal Highness Prince William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn, Baron Carrickfergus, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Master of Arts & Her Royal Highness Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus to you, please stop direspecting royalty.
For a moment I thought about changing "William Windsor" to Prince William of the House of Hanover-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, but I defer.
 
Top