• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Armenian question - Palm Sunday

Aram

High Elder
Reaction score
I don't know of any online. If you call the St. Vartan Cathedral bookstore in New York, I think there's a service book for Trnpatsek that has the translation. There's a whole series of short pamphlet service books for the incidental blessing services and such for the year, and I think Palm Sunday is one of them. They're less than $5. Other than that, there are some older books that are out of print that may have translations, if you dig around in a library?

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
The Copts have a book that contains all the services from the last Friday in Lent where they perform Holy Unction through to Pascha.  Do the Armenians have a book like that?  Or is there an English translation of the Directory, which I've read is the Armenian book comtaining instructions for the variable parts of all services somewhat like the Typikon?

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
wgw said:
The Copts have a book that contains all the services from the last Friday in Lent where they perform Holy Unction through to Pascha.  Do the Armenians have a book like that?  Or is there an English translation of the Directory, which I've read is the Armenian book comtaining instructions for the variable parts of all services somewhat like the Typikon?
I've never seen anything like that in English.  Just Classical Armenian for the priests and deacons.

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
Father Peter said:
Does anyone know if the Armenian services for Palm Sunday are available in English anywhere? A friend needs a text as i think he hopes to attend that day.
Here is an article about the Trnpatsek service that is done on Palm Sunday:

http://www.armenianchurch-ed.net/wpblog/tag/palm-sunday/

It gives a translation of the hymn that is sung:

“Open to us, O Lord, the door of your mercy, and make us worthy of your dwellings of light, together with your saints. Receive us also, O Savior, into your mansions prepared for your saints, and inscribe our names in the Book of Life. O great judge, when you sit in the judgment seat, spare your creatures through the prayers of the holy saints.”
Examples of the hymn being sung:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9C59SqdMRU&feature=channel_page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUApxecqxa8

In the second video you can hear the priest making the knocking sound.

I wrote a little about the service in another post about Holy Week:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11249.msg152436.html#msg152436

On Palm Sunday, there is a beautiful service where the curtain is opened.  It is a sort of role playing.  The priest kneels before the curtain and he represents someone who wants entry into God's Kingdom.  A deacon inside the curtain plays the part of an angel inside of heaven.  There is a sort of dialogue chanted between the two.  The gist of it is the priest wants to come in, but the angel won't let him, because heaven is so pure and mankind is so sinful.  However, when the priest argues that Christ has died for us and that sinners who are justified through repentance should be able to enter, the curtain finally opens.  I can't describe what a beautiful and joyous moment that is when the curtain opens.  You really grow lonesome for the altar when you can't see it for 40 days.

During the service, to show that he is knocking at the door, the priest makes a knocking sound (I think three times) using a wooden stick, knocking it against another piece of wood.  I guess this was high tech special effects back in the old days. 

There is a funny story about that.  A few years back a woman brought her son to the church and wanted the priest to touch her son's lips with the wooden stick he uses for the service.  Evidently, her son had a problem with foul language and she was convinced that would cure him of it.  The priest complied with her unusual request, since the woman stated that such was the custom in her village back in the old country.

Another thing that happens during Palm Sunday, at least in my church, is a procession of all the Sunday School kids.  I guess it's because there were children there when Christ was riding into Jerusalem.  It's a very joyful occasion.  :)

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
I found it.  I have an old pamphlet from many years ago with the translation.  It's one of those things that they used to pass out in church on the day of the service.  I don't know why they don't do that anymore.  It's faded and it was done with a typewriter, but it's readable.  I don't know how to get it to Fr. Peter, though. 

Is this the sort of situation where I should have learned how to scan things?  Should I find out from my nephew how to do that?  Can I scan it and somehow put it here?  How do I do that?

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
I am trying to be high tech by scanning the first page of the service and attaching it to a post, but I get a message saying the upload folder is full.  What am I doing wrong?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Salpy said:
I am trying to be high tech by scanning the first page of the service and attaching it to a post, but I get a message saying the upload folder is full.  What am I doing wrong?
Probably nothing...I remember getting that message last year.  :p

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
OK.  Now I'm trying to think outside the box, since I'm too stupid to understand the box.  I'm not sure what I did, but I think I scanned it, sent it to myself in an e-mail and then copied the image address.  Let's see if I can do it again with the second page.

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
That's it.  I hope people find it edifying. 

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
Oh no!  You're the second person to tell me they can't see them. 

I can see them.  Why can I see them, but no one else can?

And what's imgur.com?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Salpy said:

No idea, but something similar happened to me once.  Apparently, I could see it because it was already on my computer, but unless it was on someone else's computer as well, they wouldn't be able to see it.  Or something like that. 

And what's imgur.com?
It's a website where you can upload photos or other images (like your scans) and it'll create a URL for them.  You can then paste those here or put them between the img tags and they ought to show up. 

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Salpy said:

I think since you took the images from your email, you have to be logged into your email account to see the pictures.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
sheenj said:
Salpy said:

I think since you took the images from your email, you have to be logged into your email account to see the pictures.
Oh!  Salpy, just give us all your email password.  You can trust us.  :p

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
It figures this would happen.  I was feeling proud of myself for being so high tech.  Then I realized that pride was a sin and also this was Lent, which made it worse.  So I was thinking I would have to ask for the prayers of St. Evagrios.  And then this happened.  This is St. Evagrios helping me to not be proud.

Let me eat something and then I'll come back and try a trick my nephew taught me.

But then eating something is gluttony. 

I can't win...

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
Can everyone see the above page (in reply 22?)

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
Can everyone see the pages in replies 22-28?

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
This new book may be of interest:

St. Nersess Professor Publishes New Book
A new book by V. Rev. Fr. Daniel Findikyan, Professor of Liturgical Studies at St. Nersess, will be released at a book presentation and reception on Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 7PM in the Guild Hall of the Armenian Diocese in New York. The book is entitled, Աւագ Շաբաթ Avak Shapat: A Guide to the Holy Week Services of the Armenian Church. The book is being published by the Zohrab Information Center. Conceived as a textbook for clergy, seminarians, deacons, choir members and others charged with conducting the Holy Week services, the guide will be of use to anyone interested in the worship of the Armenian Church, from faithful practitioners to students and scholars of other traditions.
http://www.stnersess.edu/

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
Another picture, this time of the book:

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
More information on the new book, from the Zohrab Center:

The liturgical tradition of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church is one of the oldest and most magnificent in all of Christendom. The center of gravity of the Armenian Church’s liturgical year is undoubtedly Holy Week, the eight days preceding Easter. At no other time of the year is there such a concentration of poignant, ritually lavish, and theologically rich services in such a short period of time.

Yet with that exuberance comes complexity. The instructions for conducting these services are found in two books published centuries ago in Classical Armenian, which describe the services in a highly technical, abbreviated manner. As a result, conducting the Holy Week ceremonies properly, prayerfully and beautifully can be a challenge even for experienced clergy.

With the meticulous eye of a teacher and scholar of Christian liturgy, Fr. Findikyan guides the reader through each Holy Week service, presenting the sequence of prayers, hymns, Scripture readings and rituals, and describing them in detail. The book also contains valuable glossaries of liturgical terms in Armenian and English, as well as separate indexes of liturgical and biblical references. As such, the book serves as a useful reference work on the worship tradition of the Armenian Church as a whole.

The March 19 presentation will take place in the Guild Hall of the Armenian Diocese, 630 2nd Avenue, New York. As he presents his book, Fr. Findikyan will lead a worshipper’s tour through the sequence and meaning of Holy Week in the Armenian Church, emphasizing the meaning of Jesus’ final days for us today. At the conclusion of his talk, copies of the new book will be available for sale.

The presentation is free and open to the public. A light Lenten meal will be served beginning at 6:30PM. For further information contact the Zohrab Center at zohrabcenter@armeniandiocese.org or (212) 686-0710.
http://zohrabcenter.org/2015/03/06/holy-week-in-the-armenian-church-new-book-to-be-released-on-thursday-march-19/

If it weren't for the weather, I would wish I were in New York for this.  :)  It sounds like an interesting book.

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
I assume people who live outside of New York can order copies through St. Vartan Bookstore, mentioned above by Aram.

Aram

High Elder
Reaction score
I'm really excited about this, will be ordering. It's about time.

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
When you're right, you're right.  :)

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
I really want that book...  If anyone is going I might well, if they were comfortable with it, PayPal them the money to buy one and ship it to me.  I love the Armenian liturgy, and it's still sadly not perfectly accessible in English translation.  I wish I had the ability to quickly pick up the ancient liturgical languages but alas I'm a monoglot except when it comes to computers.  I took a stab at Latin, figured out the concept of grammatical cases and then got completely stumped by verbs.    :(

By the way, St. Vartans Seminary on their website claims or claimed Classical Armenian was easy to learn, but my lifelong friend. (Friend of my mothers, sort of an adopted aunt) Aras, an Iranian Armenian American, assured me most vigorously that it was not.