• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Article: Good Reasons to be a Christian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavier

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
Website
marianapostolate.com
Faith
Ecumenical Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction
The Pope - but my heart is for Re-Union!
Warned for proselytizing and spamming, as well as including too large a quote from a published article.
Hi all. What are some reasons why you are a Christian, and what reasons would you give to others to encourage them to become disciples of Our Lord Jesus Christ?

The below is an article I wrote for 1P5. Some points are specific to Catholic Christians, while others are generic to Christianity as a whole. Let me know your thoughts.

God Bless.

[Some excerpts]" Are you going through a time of trial in your Faith? Are you wondering if it is all worth it after all? Absolutely, it is worth it! There is a rich reward in Heaven waiting for you if only you persevere till the end. But you cannot do it on your own, you need the Grace of God, as we all do ...

1. Eucharistic Miracles – Signs and Proofs of Christ’s Divine Power to Miraculously Transubstantiate

A non-Christian friend of mine called Eucharistic Miracles “the most powerful evidence for (Catholic) Christianity.” It is easy for us non-skeptics to understand why. For skeptics and doubters, these miracles serve as supernatural signs. Vatican I explains it well:

"In order that the submission of our faith should be in accordance with reason, it was God’s will that there should be linked to the internal assistance of the Holy Spirit external indications of His Revelation, that is to say divine acts, and first and foremost miracles and prophecies, which clearly demonstrating as they do the Omnipotence and Infinite Knowledge of God, are the most certain signs of revelation and are suited to the understanding of all" (Dogmatic Constitution on the Catholic Faith: Chapter 3, On Faith).
Christ worked the wondrous Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano in response to a poor Priest struggling through his own dark night. He wondered if Christ really was present in the Eucharist, as Christ had promised in the Gospel. In His Mercy, the Good Lord chose to answer the doubts of this “doubting Thomas” with a Eucharistic Miracle. It reminds us of His post-Resurrection apparition to St. Thomas.

The next time you are at Holy Mass, or Eucharistic Adoration, just remember the Living God is truly present in the Host. Some believe because they have seen. But blessed are those who believe even without seeing, as Our Lord said. Believing without seeing will merit a great reward in Heaven ...

3. The Miraculous Shroud of Turin – Powerful Evidence of Our Blessed Lord’s Glorious Resurrection
We cannot forget the Miraculous Proofs Our Lord gave of His own Resurrection – something that should console and edify all doubting Christians. Our Lord is unique among all people who have ever existed. Everyone else died and remained dead. He alone died and gloriously rose again. As mentioned in the quote above, there were more than 500 eyewitnesses to that historical fact. But the Shroud of Turin is a miraculous relic that gives even visible evidence of it. A recent study showed only a great burst of energy, more powerful than any laser on the market today, could have produced the Image of the Holy Face on the Shroud.

“The ultraviolet light necessary to [simulate the image] exceeds the maximum power released by all ultraviolet light sources available today,” says Di Lazzaro. It would require “pulses having durations shorter than one forty-billionth of a second, and intensities on the order of several billion watts.” If the most advanced technologies available in the 21st century could not produce a facsimile of the shroud image, he reasons, how could it have been executed by a medieval forger? ...

5. The Crown of Glory waiting for you in Heaven
This Crown is granted to those who persevere. Blessed is the man that endureth temptation; for when he hath been proved, he shall receive the crown of life, which God hath promised to them that love him (Ja. 1:12) ...

Our Lord said, Be thou faithful until death: and I will give thee the Crown of Life (Apoc 2:10). Claim that Promise! Look forward to it in joyful hope and eager anticipation! If we are faithful unto death, Our Lord will, according to His Promise, give us the Crown of Life! ...

And should we evangelize? Of course! It is well said, and piously believed, that each soul we help bring to Jesus will be like a beautiful jewel on our eternal crown! What a thought! It should motivate us to try and bring multitudes to Jesus in the course of our lifetime. Each good work done with faith in Christ, by the Grace of God, merits an eternal reward. Truly, we are so blessed!"

Xavier,
In your article you offer explicit details concerning why an Orthodox Christian converted to Roman Catholicism: central to this story is the idea of what a great thing it was that this person converted. Also, while claiming that some points in the article pertain to Christianity in a generic sense, almost all of them are argued for using very specifically Roman Catholic imagery and theology.
You have been warned a few times concerning proselytism and spamming the board with Roman Catholic propaganda and have had your posts moderated as a result. Because of this, it has been decided that you will now lose the ability to post on the forum for a time. Your warning will last three months. Your current status may be revised.
In addition, you are well aware that only one, or at most two paragraphs are allowed to be quoted from a published article. You have been warned concerning this several times, both formally and informally. The fact that the article is written by you does not change the situation.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
The historical proof of the Resurrection bears witness to the truth of the existence of God and the Scriptures. After that everything falls into place by studying Church history.

sestir

bokareis
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
Against point 4, I have argued that there are so few Christians remaining that any new convert to Christianity is important to restore the balance between philosophies of life world wide. But I no longer say that, because all acceptable bible translations are gone from bookstores in Sweden and Denmark. If not even I, who know what I am looking for, can find a bible which does more good than harm to read, how would a newbie?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Not a coherent argument for Christianity, but some thoughts on why I struggle to be one. When I think of "faith, hope and love" (1 Cor. 13:13) I also think of morality, purpose, and trust. All of them, while maintaining their own distinctive meaning and part to play, are nonetheless overlapping, mutually supporting.

Unbelievers will sometimes point out that people shouldn't need a religion or God to tell them that murder is wrong. I agree, and I think the Bible does as well. God gave us a conscience. But there are many ways to get lost in the world. And there are many grey areas where some help is needed. I recognize how far I stray from the person I'd like to be when I also stray from Christianity. It happens too consistently to be coincidence.

Having faith and being part of the faith give life an orientation, a general direction, and ballast for the tough times. Daily we can pray or fast or read the Bible, weekly attend liturgy or help a neighbor, monthly cultivate some other virtue or begin a longer term project, yearly mark feasts and fasts as they pass us once more, and so on till the end of life. We might often lapse in doing what we'd like (my prayer life is terrible), but there's always the potential, and an inch closer to the finish line is still an inch closer. From the tiny measure of a minute to decades going by, we can feel like we are making progress towards something.

The ultimate purpose, end and hope is found in God and eternity. We have to place our trust in God, and trust in others (if no one else, at least the Scripture authors and Church Fathers). But just as we are trusting and hoping in God, we know that God is hoping and trusting in us with certain expectations about how we respond to the grace he provides us. But the idea of an eternal destination in communion with God, so far surpassing this earthly reality, helps in keeping progress moving forward and from going too far off into the weeds.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
I wish this was set up as a survey: I'm curious how the 5 reasons in the article fit into people's decisions to be Christian.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I wish this was set up as a survey: I'm curious how the 5 reasons in the article fit into people's decisions to be Christian.
None of the 5 are why I’m Christian. Some provide encouragement and examples, but not impetus.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
I believe in eucharistic miracles and without going into detail can attest to one.

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
We who commune are all Eucharistic Miracles! I believe in Eucharistic Miracles! Our Lord changes us, forgives us our sins, heals us, and grants life everlasting!

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Thread locked.

Last edited:
Status