• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Athenagoras the Apologist

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
I've only been doing some cursory reading of him, but it looks like that he approached Christianity strictly from the angle of a professor who deals with rules and logic.  There's nothing wrong with that.  He's very organized in his thoughts, but even the two works that we have, one is of doubtful attribution (On the Resurrection of the Bodies) and the other, the Apology, is constructed on logic and reason with next to no quotations from the Scriptures or other fathers.  St. Jerome and St. Eusebius do not appear to have known his work (from their surviving oeuvre), but that's hardly conclusive. 

I looked for the date of his commemoration and Orthowiki gave 24 July.  I looked at the menaion for that day and the only persons commemorated are the Great Martyr Christina, and the martyrs Kapiton, Hermogenes and Hymnaeus.  I could not find apolytikion or a kontakion.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Despite being a patron of a few known hierarchs, he seems to be not popular much. Pravoslavie.ru (which has one of the best lists of saints) has nothing on him, wikipedia links only to a goarch.org record that gives only the name and the date.