Attitude on Same-sex Marriage by Religious Affiliation.

R

Raylight

A survey conducted by PRRI (Public Religion Research Institute) asks about people's attitude toward Same-sex Marriage based on their religious affiliation.

Source: http://publicreligion.org/2015/04/attitudes-on-same-sex-marriage-by-religious-affiliation-and-denominational-family/#.VhbSWStXMxI

R

Raylight

Here is what was interesting to me; 42% of Muslims support Same-sex marriage. Now that is something new.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Orthodox Christians trend one of the closest if not the closest to "All Americans". Rather interesting considering we are considered to be very ethnocentric.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the difference between "strongly" and not "strongly"?  There needs to be a complete scientific poll of "religious" vs. "political" favoring.  One can be religiously against gay marriage, but politically favor it.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
What is the difference between "strongly" and not "strongly"?  There needs to be a complete scientific poll of "religious" vs. "political" favoring.  One can be religiously against gay marriage, but politically favor it.
Based on the question, it appears to be confined to the legality of it, not to the religious aspect of it.

Charles Martel

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Surveys or attitudes  towards immutable truths mean nothing.

Regardless of religious affiliation.

“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”

― Augustine of Hippo

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I'm surprised that White Evangelical Baptists weren't the highest when it came to strong opposition. I thought they would be at least in the 90s.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Charles Martel said:
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”

― Augustine of Hippo
Would you apply that same quote to the Filioque?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Charles Martel said:

― Augustine of Hippo
Would you apply that same quote to the Filioque?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
No, you could have resisted.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
I'm surprised that White Evangelical Baptists weren't the highest when it came to strong opposition. I thought they would be at least in the 90s.
It looks like the Jehovah Witnesses and the Mormons are the only ones holding to the Fullness of the Faith.  :laugh:

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
It would have been great if they had asked both questions.  Do you favor gays to marry legally?  Do you favor gays marrying in your particular church/denomination? 

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly.  These polls to me are nothing but rubbish for the ambiguities they give.  The people who give the polls know this, and they don't bother working just a little harder to clarify their polling.  Instead, they just want the publicity of their polls, not scientific accuracy.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Severian said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Severian said:
Does "Orthodox Christian" include the OO?
Here we go...  ;)
;)

I was actually being sincere. I think our communities would be far more conservative regarding this issue.
With a sample size of 230 people, the error rate is so high as to make that number unusable. To math this out a bit, If we assume there are a total of approx 1.6 million EO and OO in the US (according to Pew Research), and you are looking at an error rate of over 6%, at a 95% confidence in the survey (which is the standard used by most researchers). That is a total of a 12% swing on each of those categories. That is pretty broad. Of course, that doesn't even get into how they selected the people the interviewed, which could also have a selection bias.