• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Autocephalous no more

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I'm interested in learning about Churches that were once autocephalous in history, but are no longer. If those who know could provide information including some background, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
I am of the opinion that once Autcephalous, that cannot be taken away.

I'm not able to go into detail right now, but for starters, many of the autocephalous Churches are made up of uniting of autocephalous Churches.

Romania is made up of the Churches of Romania, Bucovina, Transylvania.

Serbia is made up of Serbia/Ipek, Montenegra, Karlowitz.

Georgia is made up of Georgia and Abkhazia.

Bulgaria has been autocephalous three times.  The first joined up with the atuocephlalous city-Church (like Constantinople 381-451) Prima Justininana and survives now as the Ohrid Archbishoprick. 

There was an autocephlaous Church of Caucasoid Albania.

Therre have been some Churches of the Armenians like Cis and Siwnik(?), but maybe Salpy can help out on that.

I'd like to expand, what Churches are or have been autonomous.  In this class I would put North Africa and Gaul.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
I'd like to expand, what Churches are or have been autonomous.  In this class I would put North Africa and Gaul.
Grand Duchy of Lithuania (after dividing the Metropolitanate of Kiev and Moscov)
Red Ruthenia

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
It hasn't changed officially, but I don't think the Church of China can be meaningfully autonomous anymore.