• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Baptism of Catholics?

Irish45

Elder
Reaction score
Quick question that’s probably been answered many times. Hopefully you don’t mind answering again!

Does the Orthodox Churches (Oriental and Eastern) baptize Catholic converts? If they don’t, do they do a confession before entry?

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
Quick question that’s probably been answered many times. Hopefully you don’t mind answering again!

Does the Orthodox Churches (Oriental and Eastern) baptize Catholic converts? If they don’t, do they do a confession before entry?
According to the Ecumenical Councils, specifically canon 2.7, a convert is not rebaptized if they were both baptized by triple immersion *and* in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (though a particularly orthodox Trinitarianism is not required—just the names). Otherwise, they need real baptism. That said, numerous local Churches do not follow the canons of the Ecumenical Councils for various reasons. So you'll need to get clarification from the specific local Church you're interested in communing with.

Angel Gabriel

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I was baptized Catholic and was received into the Antiochian Church via chrismation.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
Orthodox are not Anabaptists.

As explained above, if administered rightly Baptism administered by Catholics are regarded as valid.

However: Increasingly the more liberal/revisionist Lutherans and Protestants are using non-masculine language for The Holy Trinity (even in Baptism!) such as "Creator, Redeemer, Sanctifier". Careful inquiry must be made of converts from such communities regarding the words spoken at Baptism.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
According to the Ecumenical Councils, specifically canon 2.7, a convert is not rebaptized if they were both baptized by triple immersion *and* in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (though a particularly orthodox Trinitarianism is not required—just the names). Otherwise, they need real baptism. That said, numerous local Churches do not follow the canons of the Ecumenical Councils for various reasons. So you'll need to get clarification from the specific local Church you're interested in communing with.
I was received by Chrismation and was told it was simply the Holy Trinity that mattered, not triple immersion. I wouldn't have minded an Orthodox Baptism.

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
I was received by Chrismation and was told it was simply the Holy Trinity that mattered, not triple immersion. I wouldn't have minded an Orthodox Baptism.
Indeed. There are certain local Churches that will mandate rebaptism for Antiochians, given all the widespread scandals. Some of the Antiochian Churches are so uncanonical I recall even a deacon's wedding vows were required to be redone—while that entails its own canonical questions ((sub)deacons cannot marry: canon A.26), the bishop did not accept the prior uncanonical Antiochian shenanigans (this was DOMSE, southeastern US, where a lot of my anecdotes arise from—very troubled group) and required a full do-over in order for the deacon to serve!

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Indeed. There are certain local Churches that will mandate rebaptism for Antiochians, given all the widespread scandals.
I wouldn’t redo it; it seems backwards to get triple immersed now after being Chrismated. It was just kind of sad. But if it was wrong, I’ll bear a lesser reproach.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Indeed. There are certain local Churches that will mandate rebaptism for Antiochians, given all the widespread scandals. Some of the Antiochian Churches are so uncanonical I recall even a deacon's wedding vows were required to be redone—while that entails its own canonical questions ((sub)deacons cannot marry: canon A.26), the bishop did not accept the prior uncanonical Antiochian shenanigans (this was DOMSE, southeastern US, where a lot of my anecdotes arise from—very troubled group) and required a full do-over in order for the deacon to serve!
I think there was an Antiochian parish that celebrated with milk bread here in Brazil. The internet made it much easier to identify and correct these things.

melkite

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton
Without asking you to gossip, can you explain what some of these uncanonical shenanigans are/were? Is it something that continues in the Antiochian church? Worldwide, or just AOA? What is not in conformity with Orthodoxy about them?

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Sounds delicious.
Maybe it was a hot dog bun, not sure now.

There's a specific recipe (one could call it a rite, since it includes prayers and fasting) for preparing the Holy Lamb for the Divine Liturgy. The result is similar to focaccia, which I recall having been used as a last resource at least once in another jurisdiction, in an extreme case in which the bishop himself was visiting and someone probably messed up.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Focaccia has oil in it.
Oh, you're right. I was told it was the same texture as "Italian bread", since these bread types don't usually translate well I just threw in "focaccia" presuming it was the same. My priest, who's a liturgical perfectionist and a master baker, would be very disappointed.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
Oh, you're right. I was told it was the same texture as "Italian bread", since these bread types don't usually translate well I just threw in "focaccia" presuming it was the same. My priest, who's a liturgical perfectionist and a master baker, would be very disappointed.
All that is needed is wheat flour, water, salt, and yeast (or a sourdough starter).

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
Without asking you to gossip, can you explain what some of these uncanonical shenanigans are/were? Is it something that continues in the Antiochian church? Worldwide, or just AOA? What is not in conformity with Orthodoxy about them?
I don't want to derail the thread (at least not any worse than the usual thread gets derailed, lol), so I will reiterate a little of what I've said previously in other threads and then leave it at that; all of this is public, to some degree, as per the forum rules. Various sacraments are being changed from the official rubric ("priest" knows best!), done against the bishop's orders, and/or led by female "clergy". *Countless* other (very intentional) patterns, from recruitment of underage women in one diocese (public enough that the camp photos reflect this incredible—and still growing!—gender difference) to continued flirtations with white supremacists (Met Joseph recently (within last year) pulled at least one more person (promoted at diocese level *because* of their beliefs, with bishop's endorsement) from a national-level committee due to this, though I am not sure if the reasoning was publicized) to public teaching of heresy (at parish level; it is unclear whether or not this was *publicly sanctioned* by a hierarch and I will not make a novel public statement on that here, as per forum rules and my own professional silence as a canonist). Without getting into the private details of my work dealing with some of their internal cases (which, unfortunately, *do* shine the light up the the level of hierarchy), this public info is the tip of a very large iceberg and there are systematic attempts to promote these patterns, suppress dissent, and cover up the facts (from heresy to child abuse). To be as specific as I can with a case more tangentially related to this thread, the "false gifts" pattern that @RaphaCam noted was encouraged by at least Antiochian bishop in the US, but always in person so it was not written down or verifiable, until someone had the sense to record it on tape at a parish life conference or related event and send it to Met Joseph; not sure if the tape is public (nor the outcome—the bishop is still serving), but the teaching sure is. So...be very, very wary. Most of these experiences are from the N and SE US—and it was still like a living *Hell* at times with the toxicity, even knowing I was there on official business—though as per the anecdotes here, it appears to be systemic from a much wider level. If you have no dealings with these Antiochians, glory to God: if all they are being asked to do is get rebaptized, that is *incredibly* generous—and far less than what probably should be happening, but it's up to the canonical bishops to decide what to do with the openly non-canonical (to the point of pride(!)) Antiochian bishops and dioceses (I assume some are ok).

Friday, July 1, 12:22 AM, EDT.

Bizzlebin:

These are very serious accusations you have levelled against an autocephalous Orthodox Church. We are therefore requiring that you provide documentation in this thread that proves your allegations are credible within 48 hours, or withdraw your comments. Failure to do either in the allotted time frame will result in warning points being issued.

We are also requesting that you provide documentation showing clearly that you are indeed a "professional canonist" as you have claimed here and elsewhere. This must show that you are employed as such by a recognized autocephalous Orthodox Catholic Church or one of its offshoots, or a university professor specializing in Orthodox canon law. (Employment in any "ministry" or "department" of the "country" of "New Kidron" would not be seen as legitimate in this regard.) You also have 48 hours to respond to this request. Again, if you do not either provide the requested documentation, or admit that you are not a "professional canonist", warning points will be issued.

Thank you for cooperation on this issue.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Angel Gabriel

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I don't want to derail the thread (at least not any worse than the usual thread gets derailed, lol), so I will reiterate a little of what I've said previously in other threads and then leave it at that; all of this is public, to some degree, as per the forum rules. Various sacraments are being changed from the official rubric ("priest" knows best!), done against the bishop's orders, and/or led by female "clergy". *Countless* other (very intentional) patterns, from recruitment of underage women in one diocese (public enough that the camp photos reflect this incredible—and still growing!—gender difference) to continued flirtations with white supremacists (Met Joseph recently (within last year) pulled at least one more person (promoted at diocese level *because* of their beliefs, with bishop's endorsement) from a national-level committee due to this, though I am not sure if the reasoning was publicized) to public teaching of heresy (at parish level; it is unclear whether or not this was *publicly sanctioned* by a hierarch and I will not make a novel public statement on that here, as per forum rules and my own professional silence as a canonist). Without getting into the private details of my work dealing with some of their internal cases (which, unfortunately, *do* shine the light up the the level of hierarchy), this public info is the tip of a very large iceberg and there are systematic attempts to promote these patterns, suppress dissent, and cover up the facts (from heresy to child abuse). To be as specific as I can with a case more tangentially related to this thread, the "false gifts" pattern that @RaphaCam noted was encouraged by at least Antiochian bishop in the US, but always in person so it was not written down or verifiable, until someone had the sense to record it on tape at a parish life conference or related event and send it to Met Joseph; not sure if the tape is public (nor the outcome—the bishop is still serving), but the teaching sure is. So...be very, very wary. Most of these experiences are from the N and SE US—and it was still like a living *Hell* at times with the toxicity, even knowing I was there on official business—though as per the anecdotes here, it appears to be systemic from a much wider level. If you have no dealings with these Antiochians, glory to God: if all they are being asked to do is get rebaptized, that is *incredibly* generous—and far less than what probably should be happening, but it's up to the canonical bishops to decide what to do with the openly non-canonical (to the point of pride(!)) Antiochian bishops and dioceses (I assume some are ok).
This is all very disconcerting and sad. Of course coming from the RC Church, I'm not sure much can top the coverups and dissent that goes on there so it will take a LOT to surprise me. I am in the Diocese Toledo and the Midwest and I love our bishop and the priest at our local parish. I'm a newbie still but I'll keep an eye out for anything that even remotely resemble what I left in the RC church. Granted, I was in a pretty conservative RC diocese but nevertheless there were issues.

melkite

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton
Is this a corruption problem, or a heresy and modernism problem? Does it only affect the Antiochians, or other jurisdictions as well?

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ACROD

My family and I were received (into ACROD) by confession and chrismation. They were all baptized as Catholics; I had been baptized as a Baptist in my youth.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
a smoking flax He won't quench
Jurisdiction
World
I was baptized according to the rite of the Roman Catholic Church as an infant. Confession and Chrismation brought me into the Eastern Orthodox Church as an adult.

Brother Michael

Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
when I converted from being a protestant Nazarene, I was told that if I was baptized I wouldn’t need to. I had not been baptized, so I was baptized as a Greek Orthodox. I wasn’t baptized through immersion, only through sprinkling of water.

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
!00-point warning issued for possibly slanderous accusations against the Antiochian Archdiocese
Friday, July 1, 12:22 AM, EDT.

Bizzlebin:

These are very serious accusations you have levelled against an autocephalous Orthodox Church. We are therefore requiring that you provide documentation in this thread that proves your allegations are credible within 48 hours, or withdraw your comments. Failure to do either in the allotted time frame will result in warning points being issued.

We are also requesting that you provide documentation showing clearly that you are indeed a "professional canonist" as you have claimed here and elsewhere. This must show that you are employed as such by a recognized autocephalous Orthodox Catholic Church or one of its offshoots, or a university professor specializing in Orthodox canon law. (Employment in any "ministry" or "department" of the "country" of "New Kidron" would not be seen as legitimate in this regard.) You also have 48 hours to respond to this request. Again, if you do not either provide the requested documentation, or admit that you are not a "professional canonist", warning points will be issued.

Thank you for cooperation on this issue.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Just saw your new moderation-level comment, thanks for asking for clarification on this older post. I'd be happy to PM redacted screenshots of (screen-fulls of!) e-mails to bishops, presbyters, etc about various canonical matters, either messages that I have sent, messages I have received from other canonists, etc. As I have noted elsewhere, I am not tonsured (generally canonist is not a tonsured position nowadays) but have worked on a case-by-case basis across various US jurisdictions at both the clergy and lay level. I am not employed for pay by any jurisdiction, nor have I made the claim to be in it for the money—when I have been asked to help by clergy, I have helped, and more have come to me in public and private seeking canonical help (clarification, advocacy, etc). I maintain professional ethical standards related to my cases regardless, and have not inappropriately disclosed any privileged matters.

Your desire to cooperate is appreciated. Unfortunately, there is no need for you to send us any documentation regarding your status. It is very clear from this response and from other recent posts of yours that you are not a "professional" or even semi-official interpreter of the Orthodox canonical tradition.
For example:
There is no such thing as a "tonsured canonist". Tonsure is used in the Church at baptism, upon entry into the clerical state, for initiation into a monastic degree, and nowhere else.
You are incorrect in your supposition that clerical suspensions are by their very nature permanent. http://forums.orthodoxchristianity....rchimandrite-to-episcopate.79924/post-1636705
Your ignorance regarding the Antiochian canonical traditions surrounding the marriage of deacons and subdeacons is displayed in this thread.
Many other such examples could be cited here.
In addition, your posting history shows that while you may have a very good memory when it comes to citing individual canons, your understanding of the entirety of canonical tradition is erroneous and limited.
You have also kindly admitted that you are not gainfully employed in any capacity as an interpreter of canon law.

Regrettably, we must therefore insist that you stop referring to yourself as a "professional canonist" or even as a "canonist" (which might imply that you enjoy a kind of official approbation as such). You may of course continue to refer to canons or parts of canonical tradition in order to bolster any arguments you may wish to put forward in discussion, but without implying in any way that your points of view enjoy ecclesial support. Any claims you make to the contrary may now result in warning points being issued.

Not sure what claim you wish me to address; please clarify further and I can link and/or PM sources. I've written openly here only about situations that have had public resolution, public evidence, and/or documents publicly leaked; these are thus available to any person (lay, non-Christian, etc—to anyone) and do not rely on "secret evidence" or some such thing, though people are certainly free to disagree with my conclusions on any particular matter and I'd be happy to talk about them (as far as all public sources allow, given forum rules and ethics). As I noted, any of these can (with perhaps a little legwork) be pieced together from statements, photos, document headers, and other evidence, on top of public in-person teaching, and I have indeed *pulled back* repeatedly (as written in the post you addressed) from making overly-broad sweeping statements (particularly about entire "autocephalous" groups!) where such evidence is not public, as that isn't my place; if anything you need stems from an in-person event, please PM for further clarification and I will check around if anyone has recorded the particular event you require. Again, everything I have written about is available from events and/or sources that are now public, and are not meant to be "original accusations"—it is "old news", so to speak, and the recent leak of the Antiochian-signed AOB-header-document all but threatening schism (the Belya situation; full disclosure: I'm not a party to that case) should hopefully further clarify that my motivations for contextualizing more of the "why" about rebaptism are not theoretical but very real, very serious, and very imminent, especially for converts.

Our request in this instance was very clear. Since you have not provided any evidence to back up claims made regarding malfeasance in the Antiochian Archdiocese, your assertions in this regard must now be viewed as simple conjecture at best, and possibly slanderous. You will therefore be issued a warning of 100 points that will endure for one month. Assuming that you do not accumulate other warning points over this period of time, this will not affect your ability to post or otherwise engage with other members on the forum.

Please address any appeal regarding the above to me. Thank you.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Pater Cyprianus

Hieromonk Cyprian
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of the Gauls
Orthodox are not Anabaptists.

As explained above, if administered rightly Baptism administered by Catholics are regarded as valid.

However: Increasingly the more liberal/revisionist Lutherans and Protestants are using non-masculine language for The Holy Trinity (even in Baptism!) such as "Creator, Redeemer, Sanctifier". Careful inquiry must be made of converts from such communities regarding the words spoken at Baptism.
The problem with this is not so much that the language is non-masculine (spirit is feminine in Greek) but rather that it is Sabellianist. By replacing the distinctive identifiers of the three Divine Persons with functions that are not specific to any of the Three Persons, those who adopt these formulae are expressing the long-condemned heresy of Sabellianism/Modalism.

Therefore, you are absolutely right that care must be taken when receiving people baptised in certain churches, and in so doing, we must be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking that examining their official baptismal liturgical texts is sufficient. In many churches, the official liturgies are commended as useful resources only, with no requirement that the clergy must actually use them. So a legitimate trinitarian formula in text doesn't necessarily tell us anything about what is actually said.

Add to all of this that many churches are baptising by a single immersion, and that even baptism certificates often give minimal information, almost as if to conceal something, it seems to me that, in the absence of witness whose memory can be relied upon, the safest bet is often simply to baptise.

Pater Cyprianus

Hieromonk Cyprian
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of the Gauls
Not true. Spirit is neuter in Greek. Wisdom and Trinity are feminine.
Thank you for this. I stand corrected. I do not have Greek so was relying on what I had been told. This is a lesson in fact-checking for me. :) I am grateful to you.

Thankfully, my error does not detract from the main point that gender is not the doctrinal problem with this formula.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Spirit is neuter in Greek.
That depends upon the Greek word being translated as "spirit". If the Greek is πνεῦμα ("pneûma": “wind, breath, spirit”), then the Greek for "spirit" is neuter. If the Greek is ψυχή ("psukhḗ": “soul, breath, spirit”), then the Greek is feminine.

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Archdiocese of Philadelphia
They do receive baptized former Catholics and Protestants by baptism but not always. Orthodox and generally Eastern ecclesiology and sacramentology: "We are the true church. Only the true church has sacraments." According to this, the form of Catholic or Protestant baptism doesn't really mean anything in itself. The bishop may decide to apply "economy," accepting the form of that baptism, the true church filling in the missing grace, or he may decide not to use the form and simply baptize. Sometimes former Catholics are received by confession; it seems to me reception by chrismation, as is done for former Protestants, is far commoner.

WR-News

Warned
Reaction score
Just saw your new moderation-level comment, thanks for asking for clarification on this older post. I'd be happy to PM redacted screenshots of (screen-fulls of!) e-mails to bishops, presbyters, etc about various canonical matters, either messages that I have sent, messages I have received from other canonists, etc. As I have noted elsewhere, I am not tonsured (generally canonist is not a tonsured position nowadays) but have worked on a case-by-case basis across various US jurisdictions at both the clergy and lay level. I am not employed for pay by any jurisdiction, nor have I made the claim to be in it for the money—when I have been asked to help by clergy, I have helped, and more have come to me in public and private seeking canonical help (clarification, advocacy, etc). I maintain professional ethical standards related to my cases regardless, and have not inappropriately disclosed any privileged matters.

Your desire to cooperate is appreciated. Unfortunately, there is no need for you to send us any documentation regarding your status. It is very clear from this response and from other recent posts of yours that you are not a "professional" or even semi-official interpreter of the Orthodox canonical tradition.
For example:
There is no such thing as a "tonsured canonist". Tonsure is used in the Church at baptism, upon entry into the clerical state, for initiation into a monastic degree, and nowhere else.
You are incorrect in your supposition that clerical suspensions are by their very nature permanent. http://forums.orthodoxchristianity....rchimandrite-to-episcopate.79924/post-1636705
Your ignorance regarding the Antiochian canonical traditions surrounding the marriage of deacons and subdeacons is displayed in this thread.
Many other such examples could be cited here.
In addition, your posting history shows that while you may have a very good memory when it comes to citing individual canons, your understanding of the entirety of canonical tradition is erroneous and limited.
You have also kindly admitted that you are not gainfully employed in any capacity as an interpreter of canon law.

Regrettably, we must therefore insist that you stop referring to yourself as a "professional canonist" or even as a "canonist" (which might imply that you enjoy a kind of official approbation as such). You may of course continue to refer to canons or parts of canonical tradition in order to bolster any arguments you may wish to put forward in discussion, but without implying in any way that your points of view enjoy ecclesial support. Any claims you make to the contrary may now result in warning points being issued.

Not sure what claim you wish me to address; please clarify further and I can link and/or PM sources. I've written openly here only about situations that have had public resolution, public evidence, and/or documents publicly leaked; these are thus available to any person (lay, non-Christian, etc—to anyone) and do not rely on "secret evidence" or some such thing, though people are certainly free to disagree with my conclusions on any particular matter and I'd be happy to talk about them (as far as all public sources allow, given forum rules and ethics). As I noted, any of these can (with perhaps a little legwork) be pieced together from statements, photos, document headers, and other evidence, on top of public in-person teaching, and I have indeed *pulled back* repeatedly (as written in the post you addressed) from making overly-broad sweeping statements (particularly about entire "autocephalous" groups!) where such evidence is not public, as that isn't my place; if anything you need stems from an in-person event, please PM for further clarification and I will check around if anyone has recorded the particular event you require. Again, everything I have written about is available from events and/or sources that are now public, and are not meant to be "original accusations"—it is "old news", so to speak, and the recent leak of the Antiochian-signed AOB-header-document all but threatening schism (the Belya situation; full disclosure: I'm not a party to that case) should hopefully further clarify that my motivations for contextualizing more of the "why" about rebaptism are not theoretical but very real, very serious, and very imminent, especially for converts.

Our request in this instance was very clear. Since you have not provided any evidence to back up claims made regarding malfeasance in the Antiochian Archdiocese, your assertions in this regard must now be viewed as simple conjecture at best, and possibly slanderous. You will therefore be issued a warning of 100 points that will endure for one month. Assuming that you do not accumulate other warning points over this period of time, this will not affect your ability to post or otherwise engage with other members on the forum.

Please address any appeal regarding the above to me. Thank you.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
And with that, Bizzlebin seems to disappear.

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction
OCA
The problem with this is not so much that the language is non-masculine (spirit is feminine in Greek) but rather that it is Sabellianist. By replacing the distinctive identifiers of the three Divine Persons with functions that are not specific to any of the Three Persons, those who adopt these formulae are expressing the long-condemned heresy of Sabellianism/Modalism.

Therefore, you are absolutely right that care must be taken when receiving people baptised in certain churches, and in so doing, we must be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking that examining their official baptismal liturgical texts is sufficient. In many churches, the official liturgies are commended as useful resources only, with no requirement that the clergy must actually use them. So a legitimate trinitarian formula in text doesn't necessarily tell us anything about what is actually said.

Add to all of this that many churches are baptising by a single immersion, and that even baptism certificates often give minimal information, almost as if to conceal something, it seems to me that, in the absence of witness whose memory can be relied upon, the safest bet is often simply to baptise.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Bizzlebin's answer was generally correct, except that the Church doesn't require the original baptism to be with triple "immersion" specifically. Otherwise, mainstream Protestant and Roman Catholic baptisms wouldn't be functionally accepted, as they don't use "immersion".

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
Fr. Peter Farrington said that in the Coptic Orthodox Church, Roman Catholics are to be received by confession of faith.

His post is somewhere on this site.

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Military-don't have the luxury to care
Baptized Roman Catholic and when I came into Orthodoxy via the OCA all that was needed was a confession and chrismation after a catechetical period.

Which of the Ecumenical Councils went over this? Its a sticking point with some of my ROCOR acquaintances that claim to be super canonical, but refuse to respect the decisions of other bishops.

Irened

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)

Thanks for those. I'll try to read them tomorrow.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
So, I did not convert, and have not received any sacrament in the Orthodox Church at all.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
Irene, in post 37, do you mean the Eastern Orthodox Church, or the Oriental Orthodox Church?

To my knowledge, they haven't intercommuned since the middle of the Fifth Century.