• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Bay Laurel Leaves vs Basil Leaves- use in Christianity

Ikonos

Reaction score
Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

can anyone elaborate on the use of Bay Laurel Leaves as far as Christianity is concerned?
Ok, I get that Basil is used in Water for Blessing and putting leaves on top of Sour Dough etc.
What about Bay Laurel - is it used to make a Hydrosol or essential oils. I know there is the custom of the Priest to scatter the floor of the Church with Bay Leaves and Flowers on Holy Saturday but how else are they used?

ps. Not sure if I like this New Forum layout.......

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

can anyone elaborate on the use of Bay Laurel Leaves as far as Christianity is concerned?
Ok, I get that Basil is used in Water for Blessing and putting leaves on top of Sour Dough etc.
What about Bay Laurel - is it used to make a Hydrosol or essential oils. I know there is the custom of the Priest to scatter the floor of the Church with Bay Leaves and Flowers on Holy Saturday but how else are they used?

ps. Not sure if I like this New Forum layout.......
It is an ingredient in Holy Chrism (c.f., https://www.svots.edu/headlines/confecting-chrism)

Ikonos

Reaction score
It is an ingredient in Holy Chrism (c.f., https://www.svots.edu/headlines/confecting-chrism)
Thank you, I know there are quite a variety of Holy Chrism ingredients and recipes among various Orthodox Churches. I believe it may also be part of incense formulas as well. There are some large Bay Laurel Trees around a local old Churchyard in our vicinity, also what looks and smells like Mrytle. I was thinking of trying to grow one of each from cuttings - they both have berries so must be the female of the species. There are quite a lot of Bay Laurel hedges around where I live, also Lavender and Rosemary which we have successfully grown from cuttings.
I sometimes use Bay Laurel leaves sparingly in a herbal Tea - but I feel they must have other uses as well......

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bay branches are also what we use in Greece on Palm Sunday.

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are often used in Greek cuisine for there aromatic qualities.