• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Beautiful Religious Paintings

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Orest, the Virgin's garments are definitely black, not purple. I have had the pleasure of seeing the original painting of Virgin and Child (very similar to the La Vierge aux Lys linked to by Liza, here's a link: http://www.artchive.com/artchive/B/bouguereau/bouguereau_virgin.jpg.html ).

The other remarkable feature of this painting is that photographic reproductions of it suggest the haloes of the Virgin and Child are made of embossed gilding, yet Bouguereau simply used shades of cream and bronze, without any contouring.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
In that last picture, what is up with the Virgin Mary's hand positioning?  She seems to making some sort of strange gesture, and I don't know what it's supposed to mean.

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I've always loved his paintings. So what if he was ignored in the 20th century because he didn't jump onto the Impressionism bandwagon?

In addition to the above, this is one of my favorites:

Our Lady with baby Jesus and John the Baptist:

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score

This is his depiction of the moment after Adam and Eve just found the body of their son Abel, who was murdered by Cain.  It is the Premier Deuil, (The First Mourning), as this is the first human death recorded in the Holy Scriptures.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
lubeltri said:
I've always loved his paintings. So what if he was ignored in the 20th century because he didn't jump onto the Impressionism bandwagon?  Our Lady with baby Jesus and John the Baptist...
How beautiful!  What is its title?

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
lubeltri said:
I've always loved his paintings. So what if he was ignored in the 20th century because he didn't jump onto the Impressionism bandwagon?  Our Lady with baby Jesus and John the Baptist...
How beautiful!  What is its title?
La Vierge, L'Enfant Jesus et Saint Jean Baptiste (1875)

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Raphael's is probably my favorite depiction of the Transfiguration:

http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/84/Transfiguration_Raphael.jpg

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
I've always liked this one of Peter Paul Rubens:  The Crucifixion

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask about this. When I was at an Orthodox monastery in Ohio years ago I saw a painting of the grim reaper, in a study, sitting in a chair, and it had a very depressed tone to it. I thought it was mesmerizing, but I've never seen anything like it since then, in real life or on the internet. Anyone know where I can see such a painting again, without driving 200 miles to bother a bunch of monks just to see a painting in their library?