Been away from church

sprtslvr1973

High Elder
Reaction score
In the last two years, my church attendance has easily averaged less than once per month. I read scripture and listen to a podcast at least once per week and tithe regularly, though this is as much pagan superstition as a Christian discipline for me, I am sorry to say.
I regularly work Saturday and thus find Sundays my only day off. As such, I am fatigued. Meanwhile, I have semi-arrogant and selfish/semi-genuine reasons for not going back to any of the Orthodox churches I have previously attended. I thought about going to a conservative Anglican church close to where I live, but cannot even get off my duff to do that.
Along with prayers, please share any tangible advice you have, ideally, if you have struggled with this yourself.
God bless

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
sprtslvr1973 said:
In the last two years, my church attendance has easily averaged less than once per month. ...

not going back to any of the Orthodox churches I have previously attended. I thought about going to a conservative Anglican church close to where I live, but cannot even get off my duff to do that.
Along with prayers, please share any
Which church do you attend?

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Hopefully others have helpful insight into this.

Out of curiosity, were you raised attending church regularly? I've got a plethora of excuses that I use to attend services irregularly, some very much legitimate, some not so much.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just do it! Attend a local Orthodox Church, starting this coming Sunday--Sunday of the Prodigal Son. If the Gospel does not touch your heart and put some resolve in you, perhaps the hymn "Open to me the doors of repentance" may do the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqVECqe5V-g

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Haven't been to church in several years.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I attempted to start attending regularly, but now that might not be possible. I also don't attend if I'm not praying often enough, there's no point otherwise.

sprtslvr1973

High Elder
Reaction score
rakovsky said:
sprtslvr1973 said:
In the last two years, my church attendance has easily averaged less than once per month. ...

not going back to any of the Orthodox churches I have previously attended. I thought about going to a conservative Anglican church close to where I live, but cannot even get off my duff to do that.
Along with prayers, please share any
Which church do you attend?
Mainly an OCA church made up of converts, though also a GOC, an Antiochian and a ROCOR a couple of times.

sprtslvr1973

High Elder
Reaction score
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) said:
Just do it! Attend a local Orthodox Church, starting this coming Sunday--Sunday of the Prodigal Son. If the Gospel does not touch your heart and put some resolve in you, perhaps the hymn "Open to me the doors of repentance" may do the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqVECqe5V-g
With God, I will.

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
Why change to the Anglicans?
Well, I live pretty far from my parish.
Since I have crashed my car, I have not attended (besides, I was travelling and I moved to a new apartment, so my life is pretty messy).
The mess has been consuming me for a while, and I'm in a pretty deplorable situation, but I'm putting myself together. It's always possible to do so, and it's always possible to confess yourself for being careless of for slipping.
I'm just puzzled to why you would join the Anglicans.

eddybear

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
xOrthodox4Christx said:
I attempted to start attending regularly, but now that might not be possible. I also don't attend if I'm not praying often enough, there's no point otherwise.
If you are not praying enough, perhaps the very thing you need most is to attend, so as to be inspired and encouaged to start praying more.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
eddybear said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:
If you are not praying enough, perhaps the very thing you need most is to attend, so as to be inspired and encouaged to start praying more.
I don't intend on taking the Eucharist without proper preparation, and leaving the Church without intending to finish the liturgy is forbidden by the canons and condemned by the Fathers.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
xOrthodox4Christx said:
eddybear said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:
I don't intend on taking the Eucharist without proper preparation...
Very good.

...and leaving the Church without intending to finish the liturgy is forbidden by the canons and condemned by the Fathers.
IIRC, staying after the dismissal of the catechumens without intending to commune is what is "forbidden by the canons and condemned by the Fathers", although that isn't enforced in even the strictest jurisdictions. 

You can come to church and leave early.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:
eddybear said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:
I don't intend on taking the Eucharist without proper preparation...
Very good.

...and leaving the Church without intending to finish the liturgy is forbidden by the canons and condemned by the Fathers.
IIRC, staying after the dismissal of the catechumens without intending to commune is what is "forbidden by the canons and condemned by the Fathers", although that isn't enforced in even the strictest jurisdictions. 

You can come to church and leave early.
Or, I could use my convenient excuse of being directionally challenged.  ;)

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Before this evening I hadn't been to church in about three years. I just attended Vespers and stayed afterward for confession. Confessing three years' worth practically felt like a life confession in all honesty. I'll be at the Liturgy tomorrow and, again, commune for the first time in three years.

Honestly I'm not sure what spurred me on to attempt to break from such long and habitual lethargy, but it's nice. Like the OP, I also work Saturdays so even when I started getting every Sunday off (I used to work most of them) it was easy to use it being my one day off as a perpetual excuse.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Nephi said:
Before this evening I hadn't been to church in about three years. I just attended Vespers and stayed afterward for confession. Confessing three years' worth practically felt like a life confession in all honesty. I'll be at the Liturgy tomorrow and, again, commune for the first time in three years.
:)

Welcome back. 

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:

Welcome back.
Thanks. :)

Really weird but nice to go back to Liturgy after such a long absence.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Nephi said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:

Welcome back.
Thanks. :)

Really weird but nice to go back to Liturgy after such a long absence.
It hasn't changed in a few hundred years, so you're OK.  ;)