• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Bees observed revering holy icons from manastirglogovac.blogspot

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
http://manastirglogovac.blogspot.com/2013/09/blog-post_3.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ManastirGlogovac+%28Manastir+Glogovac%29

excerpt translation :

The bee is small among flying things, but her fruit hath the chiefest sweetness. ~ Ecclesiasticus 11:3

Bees observed revering holy icons.

"In the region of Kapandriti near Athens, a beautiful thing had happened. Ten years ago, a pious beekeeper Isidoros Timinis, got an idea to place an icon of The Crucifixion of the Lord into a hive. Soon after, when he opened the hive, he was astonished, honey bees showed respect and devotion to the icon, they have made their cells in the wax, but left the face and the body of the Lord uncovered. Since then, he places icons of the Savior, the Mother of God and the saints, into a hive every spring, and the result always remains the same.

Monk Simeon
(Click this link to see full translation) https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=140127513027166&id=100010897541680

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maria, do you want an actual review of this blog post, or are you just using this thread to announce something spectacular? ???

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
I am hoping to get a review of this blogspot.

I do not know much about Glogova Monastery or where it is located.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
My friend, Matthew, who is not a member of OCnet due to his time commitments, made this observation:

I have not heard of this before. I have looked at the photos, and they look genuine, but either the photos could be carefully shopped, or the photos are genuine but the wax combs could have been cut, sculpted, shaped and finished with controlled heat to give them a natural look. However, I think that someone going to such lengths to perpetrate a fraud who likely is also pious is unlikely, so, without experts examining the articles directly, I would feel the likely thing to conclude, until proven otherwise, is that they are likely a genuine sign.

Miracle working relics and icons exist regardless of the worthiness or faith of the people who have possession of them, and often such signs are a call to repentance, rather than a sign of approval.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maria said:

Here's my review: Never trust a photograph posted online.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Maria said:

could this be it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glogovac_monastery

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
I think this Matthew is overthinking things. Beekeepers paint or otherwise lay down a "foundation" of prepared wax that prompts the bees to build from there. The subject of the story is saying he covered the entire icon with foundation wax, and he may be telling the truth; however, it would be elementary for a beekeeper simply to avoid the face of the icons when applying the wax.

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
My beekeeping was cut short after an introductory course when my mother-in-law refused to allow a hive on the property, but I'm inclined to think Porter ODoran is on to something in reply #10.

Alternatively, it might be that there is some physical property of the icon other than the image depicted that is keeping the bees away. This could easily be tested by preparing a picture of something non-religious using the same methods. But unless the honey is being sold for an inflated price because of its miracle properties, I don't see any particular harm in allowing those who believe the bees are showing reverence to continue doing so and letting skeptics continue in their skepticism.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Just as an side, the name Lalibela (literally "The Bees Recognize His Sovereignty") originated as a reference to another reported miraculous incident involving bees.