Being Confident of this...

FountainPen

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
FountainPen said:
I absolutely did answer your question.
I beg to differ. You're like a Christian quoting Bible verses at an atheist. You can't even say for certain you believe in God and you want to jump right to, "I am saved."

We don't have infallible access to our own minds.
Of course my belief is going to be based on Holy Scripture -- why would it not be? Why would i have to start right from the existence of a God and the origins of the universe?

You and i are one Christian discussing with another about belief. Let's not turn this into a game of philosophical ping pong because i've neither the desire nor the inclination to flex my intellectual muscles, especially at this time of night.

FountainPen

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
Let me ask you something. If a good trusted friend who came int o some money told you they had put aside a certain amount to pay for your schooling for the next three or four years however long you needed it. Would you be confident that if they said they were going to pay....they would? And yes, before you try and think of loopholes, they have the funds protected. (#laughs) Even if you can say that you would be mostly confident, how much moreso can we be confident in almighty God and our heavenly Father when He says He will complete a work in us?
But it will profit you nothing if you fail every course.

For the Lord said: "From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more."
If i good friend tells you they will do something, you can pretty much trust they will do it. That's what the analogy was about.

Of course much will be required. God entrusts all kinds of gifts and callings in varying degrees which is why you have those weak in the faith, those strong, those who are babes and those who are wise and experienced in the faith.
Does God ultimately have mercy on absolutely everyone?
Romans 9:15
"For he says to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion."

I can't believe you had to ask that.
I am aware of the verse. I am asking you, do you believe that God has mercy on absolutely everyone?
I believe... that God will have mercy on whom he will have mercy.
What if, "on whom He will have mercy"= everyone?
What if it does?

Is the sky going to fall in?

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
FountainPen said:
I beg to differ. You're like a Christian quoting Bible verses at an atheist. You can't even say for certain you believe in God and you want to jump right to, "I am saved."

May I use this?  ;D

FountainPen

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
So you think he won't have mercy on some, or might not?
You have the same words in front of you as i do.

I don't presuppose to know the mind of God.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:

This is where one ought to take a detour and demonstrate the typical understanding of mercy here ain't very accurate.

You might find you both are in more accord than not after that.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:

The verse was in the context of justifying to the Hebrews why not all Jews would continue in the faith despite the Old Covenant.

Does God have mercy on those in hell?

FountainPen

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:

The verse was in the context of justifying to the Hebrews why not all Jews would continue in the faith despite the Old Covenant.

Go ask your priest.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:

Go ask your priest.
I already know what he would probably say. I'm asking you, missy.  ;)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:

Go ask your priest.
lol!

EDIT: And you say you are not Orthodox!

FountainPen

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:

Go ask your priest.
I already know what he would probably say. I'm asking you, missy.  ;)
Why, what's your point? There are many random questions in the world begging to be answered.

Will i ever get to drive a ferrari? How far east can you travel before you're heading west? Did Noah have woodpeckers on the ark?

What makes this one so pressing?

Hiwot

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
What happened to demas? surely it is not God's promise to him that was broken, 2 Timothy 4:10 "for Demas, because he loved this world, has deserted me and has gone to Thessalonica."

What does it mean to have confidence then? could it be, that we are to say yes to God constantly, so salvation is not forced upon us but while it is offered freely we still have to say yes and accept it? and that yes is not a one time deal,as we have seen with the case of demas who began but never finished, it is until we finish the race.... that there is a race by itself tells us that we must run and not sit and say someone has our crown waiting for us. we must cross the finish line to accept it, and that is the place of grace, to help us to work out our salvation in fear and trembling.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
FountainPen said:
Volnutt said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
Let me ask you something. If a good trusted friend who came int o some money told you they had put aside a certain amount to pay for your schooling for the next three or four years however long you needed it. Would you be confident that if they said they were going to pay....they would? And yes, before you try and think of loopholes, they have the funds protected. (#laughs) Even if you can say that you would be mostly confident, how much moreso can we be confident in almighty God and our heavenly Father when He says He will complete a work in us?
But it will profit you nothing if you fail every course.

For the Lord said: "From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more."
If i good friend tells you they will do something, you can pretty much trust they will do it. That's what the analogy was about.

Of course much will be required. God entrusts all kinds of gifts and callings in varying degrees which is why you have those weak in the faith, those strong, those who are babes and those who are wise and experienced in the faith.
Does God ultimately have mercy on absolutely everyone?
Romans 9:15
"For he says to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion."

I can't believe you had to ask that.
I am aware of the verse. I am asking you, do you believe that God has mercy on absolutely everyone?
What if, "on whom He will have mercy"= everyone?
What if it does?

Is the sky going to fall in?
Nope. Just trying to clarify what Nicholas was getting at.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:
NicholasMyra said:
FountainPen said:

Go ask your priest.
I already know what he would probably say. I'm asking you, missy.  ;)
Why, what's your point? There are many random questions in the world begging to be answered.

Will i ever get to drive a ferrari? How far east can you travel before you're heading west? Did Noah have woodpeckers on the ark?

What makes this one so pressing?
Because if you don't have faith in the mercy of God, then there's no point in having faith in your salvation or anyone else's.

Upon it stands and falls everything. And if anything can overcome it, then there is no hope.

"Oti eis ton aiona to eleos aftou"

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
FountainPen said:
Volnutt said:
FountainPen said:

Of course my belief is going to be based on Holy Scripture -- why would it not be? Why would i have to start right from the existence of a God and the origins of the universe?

You and i are one Christian discussing with another about belief. Let's not turn this into a game of philosophical ping pong because i've neither the desire nor the inclination to flex my intellectual muscles, especially at this time of night.
Scripture must be read, understood, and believed. It is in how we do these things that the philosophy comes in to play.

"Whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life," that is a statement that applies to a specific group of people, the believers. No belief, no salvation.

So, do you believe?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
Volnutt said:
FountainPen said:

May I use this?  ;D
It's not mine, just a common philosophy phrase, so go ahead :)

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
FountainPen said:
Ortho_cat said:
Many of us have a fairly good "working knowledge" of protestantism, as many of us have been raised in it for a good part of our lives.
And to those who do i capitulate.

I haven't been to a service, no. I have no desire to and if i did, the one near me isn't in English it's a Greek onlyist church not a native seeker-friendly one "...and for that reason, i'm out." #laughs
how are you sure its a greek onlyist church if you've never been?