• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Being neighborly in uncertain times

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

There was a story that came out a few days ago about a man who tried to help some people who had a flat tire.  Before it was all said and done, they shot him dead.  It got me thinking about trying to fulfill Christ's admonishments to us to give to all who ask and go the extra mile.

In this day and age, you can't trust a soul.  At least it seems that way.  Just trying to help out a person could get you shot or stabbed.

What are we who believe and want to follow Christ's example to do?

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Give to those who ask of you. Whoever loses their life for Christ's sake will find it.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Put on the mindset of a grown man, for one thing. Or do you stay under your bed in case of lightning? The chance of being shot in a random act of deadly violence remains statistically nothing. Folks are just folks. While most are good folks.

Now, if we were living in a war zone, all the greater need to follow Christ's command. He who will never risk his neck for another's contributes to atrocities and certainly lacks the spirit of Christ.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
Hey y'all,

There was a story that came out a few days ago about a man who tried to help some people who had a flat tire.  Before it was all said and done, they shot him dead. 
There's nothing else to that story at all?

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Put on the mindset of a grown man, for one thing. Or do you stay under your bed in case of lightning? The chance of being shot in a random act of deadly violence remains statistically nothing. Folks are just folks. While most are good folks.

Now, if we were living in a war zone, all the greater need to follow Christ's command. He who will never risk his neck for another's contributes to atrocities and certainly lacks the spirit of Christ.
Hm...
What prayer would you recommend?

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I think being "wise as serpents and harmless as doves" as well as apt timing both apply here.  The question/sentiment in the OP is one I hear IRL fairly frequently, and legitimately needs to be addressed.  The concern tends to be framed within a context that trust (defined here as believing someone won't hurt you) is a prerequisite for compassion, kindness, etc. toward strangers.  And that often seems to be the predominant question--is it safe for me to help?  What if we asked instead, "Does this person need help?  What kind of help do they need?  Am I equipped to offer that help?"  In order to help someone effectively, we need to know when and how to help and be equipped to do so at the right time.  Encompassing all that is willingness--are we ready to help, should we find ourselves in a position to do so?  We won't always be in that position, even if we're aware of a problem.  In that case, we pray; it is not powerless.  Knowing when it's our "turn" is a matter of prayer and discernment (and maybe ultimately some guessing).  Another thing to consider is whether our assistance is actually for the person's good or for their gratification (or ours).  It's also worth noting that ministering to the people that are around us every day is just as noble, but less glorified in typical conversations.

To me, the alternative is everyone feeling like they have to fix everything, and when we all fail at that, feeling like horrible people.  And/or everyone trying to fix things that shouldn't be fixed, and not providing support where it's needed.

Just my thoughts, though.  I don't have any Patristic quotes to support them, and pulling out Scripture passages would take some time I won't have until evening.  :)

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Porter ODoran said:

The man posed a valid question.  There's no need to belittle his courage.

It all depends on where you live.  Thank the Lord, you feel free to stop and help everyone who needs help.  Some of us live in areas that DO resemble war-zones.  Ever been down any side streets in Detroit?

I too, struggle with this.  Thankfully, I haven't been given the opportunity to decide whether to help with a flat tire, but, I actually go out to search for those in need to give them some food and supplies.  Back when my mother was alive, we made blankets and goodie bags and had planned on driving through Detroit to pass them out to the needy.  In the end, I chickened out....because it is scary.  God forbid someone shot my mother, I would never forgive myself...and if someone killed me, who would have taken care of her?  You have to think these things through.

If I have my nieces/nephews with me, I will only stop to help if I think it is "safe", otherwise, I will call for help on the person's behalf. 

If I am alone, then I am more likely to stop, and have often stopped to help, and even given a few lifts to stranded people....but, only if I am alone in the car.  I do not wish to endanger others.

I have made it a habit of volunteering at a homeless shelter in Detroit, and helping those in need when and where I can....but, there's no need to throw yourself in to danger.

Help others, but, be wise about it.

At the airport a woman asked to use my phone to call her mom, who was coming to pick her up.  I put it on speaker, dialed her the number, and held on to my phone as she spoke in to it.  There are many ways of helping people.

Sam G

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Porter ODoran said:

It all depends on where you live.  Thank the Lord, you feel free to stop and help everyone who needs help.  Some of us live in areas that DO resemble war-zones.  Ever been down any side streets in Detroit?

I too, struggle with this.  Thankfully, I haven't been given the opportunity to decide whether to help with a flat tire, but, I actually go out to search for those in need to give them some food and supplies.  Back when my mother was alive, we made blankets and goodie bags and had planned on driving through Detroit to pass them out to the needy.  In the end, I chickened out....because it is scary.  God forbid someone shot my mother, I would never forgive myself...and if someone killed me, who would have taken care of her?  You have to think these things through.

If I have my nieces/nephews with me, I will only stop to help if I think it is "safe", otherwise, I will call for help on the person's behalf. 

If I am alone, then I am more likely to stop, and have often stopped to help, and even given a few lifts to stranded people....but, only if I am alone in the car.  I do not wish to endanger others.

I have made it a habit of volunteering at a homeless shelter in Detroit, and helping those in need when and where I can....but, there's no need to throw yourself in to danger.

At the airport a woman asked to use my phone to call her mom, who was coming to pick her up.  I put it on speaker, dialed her the number, and held on to my phone as she spoke in to it.  There are many ways of helping people.
+1

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Porter ODoran said:

I sincerely believe it is not a valid question, since, as I pointed out, random deadly violence is statistically negligible, and it's specifically fear of this which he was spreading. What you're describing is more nearly violence as money-motivated crime, and yes that can be somewhat common in certain areas. I've lived in large urban areas, including New York, for 23 years. Lancaster, Pennsylvania, was worst for my personal experience because of the era and the neighborhood I lived there. There were guns fired every night, and I once biked thru a mass fight including police and gang members that the papers reported next day included two knifing fatalities. But even in such cases -- which are not what Gabriel was talking about -- and he lives way out in the country where people don't even need to lock their doors -- even in such cases, it's good to find peace of mind by remembering that the violent folks are almost always after each other and that we still have a duty to our fellowman. And God who suffered violence himself is always in control. Further I'll just add that all violent crime is at a national average low.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Porter ODoran said:

I sincerely believe it is not a valid question, since, as I pointed out, random deadly violence is statistically negligible, and it's specifically fear of this which he was spreading.
Well, as long as you "sincerely" believe that, I guess no possible rational argument can be raised in opposition.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Porter ODoran said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Porter ODoran said:

I sincerely believe it is not a valid question, since, as I pointed out, random deadly violence is statistically negligible, and it's specifically fear of this which he was spreading.
Well, as long as you "sincerely" believe that, I guess no possible rational argument can be raised in opposition.
Giving up rather quickly, aren't you?

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Porter ODoran said:

If you don't believe it was valid, why bother wasting your time pontificating?  I wasn't spreading fear, but attempting to understand Christ's words a little better.  AFAIK, this is a Christian forum where such questions should not only be asked, but encouraged.  Did you ever think I was asking on behalf of someone who wanted to know but was afraid to ask?  YOur terse response would have done some damage to her.  After reading your response, guess what?  I doubt they ever bother to venture a question.  Further more, even way out in the country, drug use is a major epidemic.  A knock at the door from someone wanting a cup of sugar has ended in death more than a few times out here. 

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Porter ODoran said:

I have seen the work you've done, dear sister.  It is inspirational and I aspire to be a better Christian because of your wonderful deeds.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
One time I heard this guy was eaten by sharks while rollerskating. This is what happens when you let kids play Satanic roleplaying games.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
One time I heard this guy was eaten by sharks while rollerskating. This is what happens when you let kids play Satanic roleplaying games.
Now, was he trying to help the sharks or was he trying to get them to play D & D? 

William T

Archon
Reaction score
There is basic discernment.  If you don't feel you are that good at assessing a situation, you can always call a cop or something that's help as well. In the context of this thread any answer that points to self examining yourself would be to make sure you are comfortable with your perspective that you are not overreacting in too fearful a way.

To use Aristotle's advice: try to make sure your disposition is somewhere between recklessness and  timidity.  If you think that is the case, I guess that's the best you can ask for in your actions or results.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I agree with Liza. We are all in unique situations and encounter different people. When you give to someone who asks from you, that's where we have to decide what is the best way in that moment to express love to our neighbors. There isn't a one-size fits all approach but I'd say we cannot do it out of egotistical or spiritually prideful intentions.

I was on the way home from work the other day and I had passed by a woman holding a cardboard sign saying "Recently Homeless". It caused me great vexation because I was powerless to alleviate her problem. My landlord evicted my neighbor for breaking his lease having someone else living with him, so what could I do? I know of no one that has the room to shelter them. My remorse and inner turmoil caused me to sin because I no longer had trust in God. What can a small prayer do for that person, I asked myself?

I agree also you shouldn't throw yourself in dangerous situations. This is an area I lack a lot of discernment. I never think handing someone money out of my wallet, after they would follow me and I get mugged. Maybe I should have saw them as threatening or had bad motives, but they ask and if I have it, I'll give. Whatever happens after happens. Those are all things each of us have to decide on our own. It's something I struggle with too.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
William T said:
There is basic discernment.
Not sure what you mean by "basic".
in your day to day life or in somewhat extraordinary circumstances do you have any sensors in your head that say "this might be dangerous situation" vs "this situation is OK to act as I normally would".

If you saw on the side of the road a teenage kid dressed like a goth kid with a large bowie knife sticking out of his back pocket at 12AM stranded on the side of the road in an isolated area with nothing obviously wrong with the car and a malicious look on his face and walking around like some vulture vs some family of four with smoke coming out of the car in a fairly populated area...would you measure that as the same situation?  Would that effect your actions?  It would mine, and probably most of the population of north america.  You do these decisions all the time, and for good reason, don't let unwarranted philosophy get in the way.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
William T said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
William T said:
in your day to day life or in somewhat extraordinary circumstances do you have any sensors in your head that say "this might be dangerous situation" vs "this situation is OK to act as I normally would".

If you saw on the side of the road a teenage kid dressed like a goth kid with a large bowie knife sticking out of his back pocket at 12AM stranded on the side of the road in an isolated area with nothing obviously wrong with the car and a malicious look on his face and walking around like some vulture vs some family of four with smoke coming out of the car in a fairly populated area...would you measure that as the same situation?  Would that effect your actions?  It would mine, and probably most of the population of north america.  You do these decisions all the time, and for good reason, don't let unwarranted philosophy get in the way.
LOL!  The knife didn't stop me....I still stopped and talked with William.  He appreciated the orange cream smoothy and burger.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
William T said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
William T said:

Just asked for clarification is all.  :)

William T

Archon
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
William T said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
William T said:

LOL!  The knife didn't stop me....I still stopped and talked with William.  He appreciated the orange cream smoothy and burger.

lol, impressive. My point was just to try to illustrate how we are capable of assessing and acting about situations in life, and that we also judge ourselves if we act too rashly or timidly based off who we are.  If you think about a baseball player wh chases after pitches he ought not, or doesn't swing at pitches he ought to have.  He often knows he should or shouldn't have went after a certain pitch.

In yor case you are much more intimate and familiar with assessing certain situations and interacting with other people that some may not, giving you the confidence to do something like that where from an outsider perspective that would have looked a bit dodgy.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
William T said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
William T said:

Hopefully that helped.

Perhaps maybe it's better off to put it this way...does something in your head say "something is wrong", if so ask yourself honestly "what is my role in this?"  If you can't figure out a specific role, and often if you have to ask yourself such a question the best thing to do is try and find a better authority. 

If you see someone in a burning building and the situation looks hopeless, call the fire department, that is an action, and in this case a better action if by all mark and measure to a non expert entering the burning building looks counter productive, the most responsible and less foolhardy response.  Deferring action and delegating it to someone else is sometimes the best action...in fact it's kind of the norm in day to day life.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
William T said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
William T said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
William T said:

Hopefully that helped.

Perhaps maybe it's better off to put it this way...does something in your head say "something is wrong", if so ask yourself honestly "what is my role in this?"  If you can't figure out a specific role, and often if you have to ask yourself such a question the best thing to do is try and find a better authority. 

If you see someone in a burning building and the situation looks hopeless, call the fire department, that is an action, and in this case a better action if by all mark and measure to a non expert entering the burning building looks counter productive, the most responsible and less foolhardy response.  Deferring action and delegating it to someone else is sometimes the best action...in fact it's kind of the norm in day to day life.
You're preaching to the choir.  I've got a pretty good intuition on these things.

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
Hey y'all,

There was a story that came out a few days ago about a man who tried to help some people who had a flat tire.  Before it was all said and done, they shot him dead.  It got me thinking about trying to fulfill Christ's admonishments to us to give to all who ask and go the extra mile.

In this day and age, you can't trust a soul.  At least it seems that way.  Just trying to help out a person could get you shot or stabbed.

What are we who believe and want to follow Christ's example to do?
If your friend is female, I don't know of a priest that would not advise her to be cautious as a women are frequently targets by predatory males.

If you have your kids in the car, do you pick up hitchhiker?  No

If someone tags you to let you use your super smart computer phone in a park with many homeless, do you hand them your phone?  No, not unless you are totally willing to part with it forever.

When a little guy in a dark parking lot at midnight calls out to you "Hey! Jew wan to partee?"  Then wants to know what time it is, do you tell him?  No, because he will stalk you and corner you and either / or rape, murder, rob you.  This actually happened to me at a motel when the card reader wouldn't function and the manager was asleep.  He cornered me while I kept hitting redial on my phone trying to get someone to come out.  He was coming at me with an evil look, then I gave him my best I am going to hurt you real bad look, which made him pause for about 3 seconds then continue at me.  The manager finally  woke up and opened his door about three doors down when he was 1/2 foot from fight for your damn life and honour.

So I started screaming at the manager to help, and he totally did not care.

This is how a busload of men rape a woman until she is dead.

So help when you can, but understand animal reality.

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Goodness gracious!
I know, huh.  And my daughter was watching from the car just astounded.  Just telling it made my PTSD flare up.

I still try to do stuff, like feed the people who pick cans from garbage bins outside.  One guy went all OCD on me though and stayed all day and washed everyone's garbage can and sorted all the recycling into neat piles then packed it all back in the cans.  Took him like 6 hours.