Best hard rock/heavy metal band

Who is the best hard rock/heavy metal band in your opinion?

• Led Zeppelin

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Black Sabbath

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Judas Priest

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Iron Maiden

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Metallica

• Megadeth

• Dio

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saxon

• Motorhead

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Dokken

• Queensryche

• Helloween

• Gamma Ray

• In Flames

• Nightwish

• Kalmah

• Children of Bodom

• Rage Against the Machine

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Ozzy Osbourne

• Rush

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
If it's made after 1924 I don't care. My friends listen to these metal songs, I think those songs are horrible.

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Best of the 1970s

Black Sabbath

Best of 1980s

Guns and Roses

Best of the 1990s

Tool

Best of the 2000s

deftones

Y'all Nordic metalheads might just think I'm soft, but I'm from the crust punk era, our blast beats can beat up on your blast beats any day, but this wasn't a punk thread it was metal/rock ;)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

James2

High Elder
Reaction score
Definitely Zeppelin.

AC/DC should make the list, too.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
CoptoGeek said:
Iconodule said:
The 90's gave us Norwegian black metal and death metal, the highest and best forms of metal. Of course it also brought us nu-metal, but I can't say that nu-metal is any worse than the 80's hair metal.
Inferior knock-offs of Celtic Frost & Venom and, of course, the big 4.
Venom sucks and always has. Celtic Frost has some winners, but the fact that you exclude Bathory, Tormentor, and Sarcofago reveals that you are a false. No entry.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Hmmm, no Pantera, no Slayer, pretty big omissions.  I voted Zeppelin and Sabbath.  Among new bands, I like The Sword.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Deacon Lance said:
Hmmm, no Pantera, no Slayer, pretty big omissions.  I voted Zeppelin and Sabbath.  Among new bands, I like The Sword.
Yeah, seriously.  ??? :'(

Randa

Reaction score
HabteSelassie said:
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Best of the 1970s

Black Sabbath

Best of 1980s

Guns and Roses

Best of the 1990s

Tool

Best of the 2000s

deftones

Y'all Nordic metalheads might just think I'm soft, but I'm from the crust punk era, our blast beats can beat up on your blast beats any day, but this wasn't a punk thread it was metal/rock ;)

stay blessed,
habte selassie
My list:

Best of the 70s:

Heavy metal: Black Sabbath
Hard rock: Led Zeppelin

Best of the 80s:

Heavy metal: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest
Thrash metal: Metallica, Slayer
Hard rock: Guns n Roses, AC/DC
Hair metal: Motley Crue

Best of the 90s:

Heavy metal: Pantera

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score

Timon said:
HabteSelassie said:
Best of the 2000s

deftones
YES.  the track of their new record sounds killer too. theyre one of my favs.
I've been listening steadily to the deftones 1998 and I can't tell you how many people used to just simply HATE on them for no good reason whatsoever!  After White Pony folks started to notice, and after Saturday Night Wrist suddenly they became more accessible.  Thanks for the big up!  What is your favorite album?

They seem to have three distinct eras

The Adrenaline/Around the Fur rap rock era

The Self-Titled/Saturday Night Wrist more standard metal era

and now the Diamond Eyes post-rock album..

What I love about deftones is that they've matured and evolved, both musically and lyrically, where as so many bands become just another cliche of their sound.  I've literally grown up with this band, and they've seemed to grow up with me!

That new track is bad! I can't wait till November 13!! I simply CAN'T believe that after 20 years these guys still keep bringing out such great music! I wish Chi would wake up :(
stay blessed,
habte selassie

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score

Asteriktos said:
Iconodule said:
This thread is giving me elitist indigestion.
+1  ;D
In defense, Sabbath, Tool, and deftones ALL started underground and became elite because of their sheer talent

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
HabteSelassie said:

Asteriktos said:
Iconodule said:
This thread is giving me elitist indigestion.
+1  ;D
In defense, Sabbath, Tool, and deftones ALL started underground and became elite because of their sheer talent

stay blessed,
habte selassie
They (the bands) aren't who is being elite...  though for me it was mostly the Pantera stuff that got to me... but to each their own...  8)

CoptoGeek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Venom sucks and always has. Celtic Frost has some winners, but the fact that you exclude Bathory, Tormentor, and Sarcofago reveals that you are a false. No entry.
Oh, I hate Venom too. Those guys gave me the creeps!  Always stayed away from them & the King Diamond/Merciful Fate stuff. Loved Slayer, they're "satanic" stufff was more schtick so it didn't really bother me.

The exclusion of those other bands only indicates I'm old & set in my ways. Like the hippie who never got past the 60s, for me the metal that I knew died a painful death in the 90s.

kurtismjohnson

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
HabteSelassie said:

Timon said:
HabteSelassie said:
Best of the 2000s

deftones
YES.  the track of their new record sounds killer too. theyre one of my favs.
I've been listening steadily to the deftones 1998 and I can't tell you how many people used to just simply HATE on them for no good reason whatsoever!  After White Pony folks started to notice, and after Saturday Night Wrist suddenly they became more accessible.  Thanks for the big up!  What is your favorite album?

They seem to have three distinct eras

The Adrenaline/Around the Fur rap rock era

The Self-Titled/Saturday Night Wrist more standard metal era

and now the Diamond Eyes post-rock album..

What I love about deftones is that they've matured and evolved, both musically and lyrically, where as so many bands become just another cliche of their sound.  I've literally grown up with this band, and they've seemed to grow up with me!

That new track is bad! I can't wait till November 13!! I simply CAN'T believe that after 20 years these guys still keep bringing out such great music! I wish Chi would wake up :(
stay blessed,
habte selassie
Im one of those people who didnt get much into them until White Pony and it is def still my favorite. But I also got really into Diamond Eyes when it came out.  For some reason, I was a little slow getting into Saturday Night Wrist and some of the others. I went through a short phase where I didnt listen to them as much, but I came back around. Ha. If "Leathers" is any indication of how this new record is going to turn out, then it should be killer!! Im pumped.

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/deftones-unleash-angst-and-tension-in-new-album-koi-no-yokan-premiere-20121108

stream the entire new deftones record koi no yokan which comes out monday :)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
This is admittedly not my forte, but I'm going to say Thin Lizzy wins, because that's pretty much the right answer to anything.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
celticfan1888 said:
CoptoGeek said:
I'd like to give Chinese Democracy a shot
No...you don't.
I very like "There was a time" however I agree that album is not close at all to the previous ones.
That song certainly was not bad, I agree. I also appreciated one or two others, but some of the songs on the album were just strange. lol. I was not a huge fan of the title song as well.