• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Best translation of " The Brothers Karamazov"

MarkosC

Reaction score
All, the thread on novels got me thinking.  I will spend substantial parts of the next two months on planes or on buses.  During this time, I hope to read "The Brothers Karamazov". 

Which English translation do you all recommend?

Thanks,

Markos

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
I prefer that of Richard Prevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, but that is a preference from this non-Russian reader and based on how the book reads in English, not how true it is to the Russian.

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I have the translation that Αριστοκλής mentions. I really like it. But I have heard wonderful things about Pevear's translation as well.

Justinian

Reaction score
I second the above poster's recommendations. Beware of the Constance Garrett translation of Brothers Karamazov or any Russian work for that matter. I have it on good authority that she "winged" some of her translations, thus not giving you adequatley the full beauty and purpose of the original works themselves. 

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Justinian said:
I second the above poster's recommendations. Beware of the Constance Garrett translation of Brothers Karamazov or any Russian work for that matter. I have it on good authority that she "winged" some of her translations, thus not giving you adequatley the full beauty and purpose of the original works themselves. 
Lol, just my luck. That is the very translation I picked up today at the bookstore.

Oh yeah, and Thread resurrection!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Αριστοκλής said:
Richard Prevear and Larissa Volokhonsky
I'm not a translation snob like Achronos, but even a simpleton like me knows that this is the best one.

But if you have Garnett that'll work just fine. When you're starving it makes no sense to turn down a baked potato because you wanted filet mignon. Or something.

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Αριστοκλής said:
I'm not a translation snob like Achronos, but even a simpleton like me knows that this is the best one.

But if you have Garnett that'll work just fine. When you're starving it makes no sense to turn down a baked potato because you wanted filet mignon. Or something.
That's because you're not a snob. A real snob would rather starve than eat crap.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Αριστοκλής said:

It's actually the The Brothers Karamazov (Second Edition) (Norton Critical Editions) .