• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Beyonce Mass

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
https://www.facebook.com/VICE/videos/867076020147056/?hc_ref=ARThyn0tyqXGTfABbfl3tgD6qEplm0434FQNKgZOXPXor-he2Zzt3EU3cjnUlPmsxus

Why study the prophets and saints and martyrs when you have Beyonce?!

Selam

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Just try to avoid the lake of fire, preserved for Becky with the good hair.

Reaction score
I hate to sound insulting or judgemental, but I'm not that shocked to find that this happened with the Episcopal Church. I mean, Washington National Cathedral has a Darth Vader grotesque, so it doesn't amaze me when Episcopalians show any lack of seriousness towards spirituality or tradition.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Beyonce has now bought an $850,000 church in New Orleans: https://www.christianpost.com/news/beyonce-buys-850000-church-in-new-orleans-weeks-after-controversial-beyonce-mass-224209/

If she is launching a cult I suppose thats one more awesome gift we can thank the Episcopalians for sharing with us.  They really are the light* of our life, aren’t they?

* A flickering flourescent tube in the loo, at any rate

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
Beyonce has now bought an $850,000 church in New Orleans: https://www.christianpost.com/news/beyonce-buys-850000-church-in-new-orleans-weeks-after-controversial-beyonce-mass-224209/

If she is launching a cult I suppose thats one more awesome gift we can thank the Episcopalians for sharing with us.  They really are the light* of our life, aren’t they?

This is the church in question:

The city is full of old buildings like this ready to be repurposed. Better they be turned into condos than fall in on themselves and turn to blight and wasted resources.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Alpha60 said:

The city is full of old buildings like this ready to be repurposed. Better they be turned into condos than fall in on themselves and turn to blight and wasted resources.
I look ar that and wish it had become an Orthodox convent.

maneki_neko

Reaction score
It's dumb, but I don't see how this is substantially different from what has been happening in certain kinds of mega churches for a while with their "praise and worship" obsession. Around 15 years ago when I was a teen in a southern mega church, they regularly played Lifehouse's "Everything" as part of the opening set (full rock band and stage) and said as long as we sang the song "to Jesus" it was okay.  ::) ::) ::)

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
maneki_neko said:
It's dumb, but I don't see how this is substantially different from what has been happening in certain kinds of mega churches for a while with their "praise and worship" obsession. Around 15 years ago when I was a teen in a southern mega church, they regularly played Lifehouse's "Everything" as part of the opening set (full rock band and stage) and said as long as we sang the song "to Jesus" it was okay.  ::) ::) ::)
But was it... A HOLY GHOST HOEDOWN?

maneki_neko

Reaction score
Volnutt said:
maneki_neko said:
But was it... A HOLY GHOST HOEDOWN?
Ugh they would have been totally down with that.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That was terrible.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
I mentioned that Beyonce Mass in another post, glad (or not) that became a thread on its own.

For me it was shocking because I didn't know how big was the departure of the episcopal church from sound doctrine and due respect, and also, my contact with anglicanism/episcopalianism is minimal, they dont have a big presence in Brazil, I am not sure about numbers, but I think there are more orthodox than anglicans/episcopalians in Brazil, I could be wrong, but even if I am, I'd say orthodoxy has more converts and better perspectives of growth than anglicans.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
Agabus said:
Alpha60 said:

I look ar that and wish it had become an Orthodox convent.
There is one in greater NOLA (I think technically it is on the North Shore), but IIRC they only have two nuns, one of whom is fairly old. There's an attached male monastery as well, but I don't think they're doing much better.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
coptic orthodox boy said:
What color were Mary of Nazareth and Mary Magdalene?
Probably not too far from the average Mizrahi Jew today, maybe a tad darker to account for more intermarriage over the centuries.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
coptic orthodox boy said:
What color were Mary of Nazareth and Mary Magdalene?
They were probably similar to the people of the Levant today.