• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Biblical Flood Originated in Canada

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
3,535
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
32
Location
Alberta, Canada
http://sify.com/news/biblical-deluge-actually-happened-and-created-persian-gulf-study-news-international-kmko4wddfbj.html

Toronto, Dec 10 (IANS) The mythical deluge in the biblical story of Noah's Ark could have be an actual event caused by unprecedented worldwide floods triggered in Canada in 6000 BC, says a new theory.

The present-day Persian Gulf was also the creation of that deluge, says the theory by University of Birmingham archeologist Jeffrey Rose.
 

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
John of the North said:
http://sify.com/news/biblical-deluge-actually-happened-and-created-persian-gulf-study-news-international-kmko4wddfbj.html

Toronto, Dec 10 (IANS) The mythical deluge in the biblical story of Noah's Ark could have be an actual event caused by unprecedented worldwide floods triggered in Canada in 6000 BC, says a new theory.

The present-day Persian Gulf was also the creation of that deluge, says the theory by University of Birmingham archeologist Jeffrey Rose.
It was more of a 1-3 m rise in sea level, than a global flood.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
"Like maple syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States. "

"Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray - all day, every day."
 

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
1,567
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Fr. George said:
"Like maple syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States. "

"Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray - all day, every day."
I don't get the "Mayonnaise" on everything bit?

My family has been in Canada since the 1890's and I have never seen mayonnaise on our perogies (pyrohy) or with borscht.  Even at "Boston Pizza" which has a special Canadian pizza with perogies and fried onions.
 

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 5, 2002
Messages
7,253
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
57
Orest said:
I don't get the "Mayonnaise" on everything bit?
Yeah...that's the inaccurate statement with Fr George's movie quote!  :D

Great movie, btw!  :D
 

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
1,567
Reaction score
1
Points
36
FrChris said:
Orest said:
I don't get the "Mayonnaise" on everything bit?
Yeah...that's the inaccurate statement with Fr George's movie quote!  :D

Great movie, btw!  :D
I was trying to be ironic.  Sorry if my sense of humour (Canadian spelling) escapes you.
 

Luke

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 5, 2008
Messages
7,197
Reaction score
62
Points
48
So Canada sneezed and the United States caught cold?
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
So if it came from Canada...do they mean the Canada of Pangea? I would assume that a world flood would make more sense if it happened when there was just one continent.
 

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
3,535
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
32
Location
Alberta, Canada
Achronos said:
So if it came from Canada...do they mean the Canada of Pangea? I would assume that a world flood would make more sense if it happened when there was just one continent.
The theory is that when Lake Agassiz burst its banks, the new influx of water enter the ocean and contributed to a global raising of the water level. It would not be necessary to have only one continent for this to happen, assuming it did.
 

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Messages
7,989
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
41
Location
Wisconsin, USA
Fr. George said:
"Like maple syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States. "

"Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray - all day, every day."
So Paula "Mayonnaise on Everything" Deen is really Canadian. How many Southerners are now relieved!
 

dcommini

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
1,230
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
34
Location
Anchorage, AK
Website
lifeofanorthodoxsoldier.blogspot.com
Shanghaiski said:
Fr. George said:
"Like maple syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States. "

"Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray - all day, every day."
So Paula "Mayonnaise on Everything" Deen is really Canadian. How many Southerners are now relieved!
I thought she just used massive amounts of butter on everything... including butter...
 

Heorhij

Merarches
Joined
May 2, 2007
Messages
8,574
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
63
Location
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
For a while, I was convinced that this topic,

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,31311.msg506460/topicseen.html#msg506460

is my personal all-time favorite among completely useless, redundant topics that nonetheless, for whatever reason, attract people's attention like magnet.

Now, hmmmmm... this one is a fair competition... :p :p :p
 

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
This article gives more information on the implications that a rise in sea level (partially caused by the draining of Lake Agassiz in Canada) possibly had on early human civilization in the Gulf Region. Basically the whole Persian Gulf was habitable land, probably serving as home to the first humans to come out of Africa. Perhaps the rivers mentioned in Genesis relate to this submerged Gulf Region:


"Veiled beneath the Persian Gulf, a once-fertile landmass may have supported some of the earliest humans outside Africa some 75,000 to 100,000 years ago, a new review of research suggests.

At its peak, the floodplain now below the Gulf would have been about the size of Great Britain, and then shrank as water began to flood the area. Then, about 8,000 years ago, the land would have been swallowed up by the Indian Ocean, the review scientist said.
....
The Gulf Oasis would have been a shallow inland basin exposed from about 75,000 years ago until 8,000 years ago, forming the southern tip of the Fertile Crescent, according to historical sea-level records.

And it would have been an ideal refuge from the harsh deserts surrounding it, with fresh water supplied by the Tigris, Euphrates, Karun and Wadi Baton Rivers, as well as by upwelling springs, Rose said. And during the last ice age when conditions were at their driest, this basin would've been at its largest.

In fact, in recent years, archaeologists have turned up evidence of a wave of human settlements along the shores of the Gulf dating to about 7,500 years ago.
....
The most definitive evidence of these human camps in the Gulf comes from a new archaeological site called Jebel Faya 1 within the Gulf basin that was discovered four years ago. There, Hans-Peter Uerpmann of the University of Tubingen in Germany found three different Paleolithic settlements occurring from about 125,000 to 25,000 years ago. That and other archaeological sites, Rose said, indicate "that early human groups were living around the Gulf basin throughout the Late Pleistocene."
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
Does Orthodoxy hold a certain dogma to the Flood and Noah's Ark? I always took it as allegorical, but then there are those Gilgamesh stories that were in the Babylonian times. Not sure how to approach such.
 

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
3,535
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
32
Location
Alberta, Canada
Heorhij said:
For a while, I was convinced that this topic,

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,31311.msg506460/topicseen.html#msg506460

is my personal all-time favorite among completely useless, redundant topics that nonetheless, for whatever reason, attract people's attention like magnet.

Now, hmmmmm... this one is a fair competition... :p :p :p
If we can just get rid of all the Canada haters in this thread... :p
 

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Messages
7,989
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
41
Location
Wisconsin, USA
Achronos said:
Does Orthodoxy hold a certain dogma to the Flood and Noah's Ark? I always took it as allegorical, but then there are those Gilgamesh stories that were in the Babylonian times. Not sure how to approach such.
The Holy Fathers do not treat the story as merely an allegory but actual sacred history.
 
Top