• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Bishop Mark Maymon no longer administrator of the OCA's Diocese of the South?

Tikhon29605

High Elder
Reaction score
I have just read on another forum that Bishop Mark has been removed as the administrator of the Diocese of the South at St Seraphim's Orthodox Cathedral in Dallas.  Is this true? Does anyone know anything about it? Why was he removed? Who removed him? Was he re-assigned somewhere else?  What is going on at St. Seraphim's?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
Here's their bulletin page:

http://www.stseraphim.org/latest_news.html

And here's the Clergy page:

http://www.stseraphim.org/clergy.html

Hope that is helfpul.  :)

nstanosheck

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
nstanosheck.blogspot.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
It might have something to do with the fact that he gave Mark Skokoe of OCANoose a priest's private emails and that the parishioners of the cathedral did not like him, or his ruling style, according to local reports.

zekarja

High Elder
Reaction score
Bishop Nikon is locum tenens of the Diocese of the South.

Veniamin

Archon
Reaction score
Well, yes, but since Bishop Mark was received from the Antiochian Archdiocese, he served as Diocesan Administrator under both Metropolitan Jonah and Bishop Nikon as locum tenens.  His office as Administrator shouldn't be confused with who the locum tenens is. 

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Theyhave found someone to take care of the South. There was no misconduct involved.

kijabeboy03

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Alexandrian Orthodox Church Abroad
Given that Bishop Mark is still making pastoral visits to the rest of the Diocese's parishes it may just be that the problem is more with the cathedral in Dallas than with Bishop Mark. Just a thought...

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
kijabeboy03 said:
Given that Bishop Mark is still making pastoral visits to the rest of the Diocese's parishes it may just be that the problem is more with the cathedral in Dallas than with Bishop Mark. Just a thought...
Very wise words.  I think I agree with you.  Let's all wait to hear more and not assume the worst about poor Bishop Mark.  Give the guy a break.

kijabeboy03

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Alexandrian Orthodox Church Abroad
It'll all come out in the wash sooner or later and then we'll be wondering how on earth all of this became such a big deal :-/.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the South (OCA)
Here is the notice on the DOS site ( I am posting the entire news release as it is but a short paragraph. However, the site includes a picture of Bishops Nikon and Mark with the deans. Father Burch is the young fellow third from the right and a son of our parish: "Fr. Marcus Burch was received into the church, attended St. Vladimir ’s and was ordained to the priesthood in 1997." See at (http://holyapostles.org/wordpress/home/history/). Axios!

"May 31, 2011
During the meeting of the Holy Synod in Chicago, IL, on May 24-27, His Grace Bishop Nikon, as Locum Tenens of the Diocese of the South, conveyed Bishop Mark’s request to be relieved of  his duties as administrator of the Diocese of the South as well as other diocesan responsibilities given to him previously. The Holy Synod accepted Bishop Nikon’s recommendations concerning Bishop Mark. Bishop Mark remains as a guest in the Diocese of the South.  In addition to his visits to the Dallas area, His Grace Nikon has visited with the clergy and faithful in the South Florida, Orlando, and Carolinas Deaneries. On Monday and Tuesday, May 30 and 31, His Grace chaired a meeting of the deans to facilitate and finalize the procedures to be followed by the Episcopal Search Committee of the Diocese of the South.  During this two-day meeting, Bishop Nikon appointed Archpriest Marcus Burch as chancellor of the Diocese of the South. Fr. Marcus’ duties as Rector of St John of the Ladder Orthodox Church in Greenville, SC, and Dean of the Carolinas remain the same. Furthermore, upon recommendation of the deans, Bishop Nikon appointed the Archpriest Theodore Pisarchuk to be Missions Coordinator of the Diocese of the South."

http://www.dosoca.org/

AmatorDeus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgalloway.net
Fr. Marcus was actually asked by the Metropolitan to become the administrator before Bishop Mark, but he declined because he did not want to move from our parish to Dallas.  I don't know what caused Bishop Mark's tenure as administrator to end, but now Fr. Marcus is serving as administrator remotely from St. John of the Ladder mission in Greenville, SC.  Fr. Marcus noted after liturgy on Sunday that he views this position as temporary and when the Diocese of the South has a permanent bishop again (hopefully by next summer) that he may or may not remain the administrator depending on the new bishop's prerogative.

AmatorDeus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgalloway.net
Thank you Fr. Anastasios - it has been a long time. :)

I'm not much for online Orthodoxy these days, but I was searching the forum while researching choir music and found this topic.  I happened to actually know something not mentioned, so I thought I'd pipe in.  I just checked - that was my first post here in six years!

Amazing that so much has happened in so few years. 

Reaction score
I was able to see Bishop Mark this weekend.
He is still the humble man I knew years ago.
I am glad he lives as close as he does to me. I didn't know that before this weekend and will try to make a point of visiting him when he will have me.
I would not call him a friend. Just a priest I knew once. Very sad to see him treated the way he has been by those who call themselves Orthodox. If he has sin, he is not aware of it. Years of living the street life have made it easy to see when someone is not living as they know they should. Sin eats a man from within. He cannot hide it's existence to those who study human behavior anymore than a child with a pooped diaper can hide it from anyone with a nose.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Bishop Mark elected to the Diocese of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania by the Holy Synod of the OCA.

http://oca.org/news/headline-news/holy-synod-elects-bishop-mark-maymon-to-eastern-pa-see

Installation date, TBD.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Tikhon29605 said:
I have just read on another forum that Bishop Mark has been removed as the administrator of the Diocese of the South at St Seraphim's Orthodox Cathedral in Dallas.  Is this true? Does anyone know anything about it? Why was he removed? Who removed him? Was he re-assigned somewhere else?  What is going on at St. Seraphim's?
The Bishop would be stationed in the American Diocese headquarters. (Which is everywhere in America)

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
WPM said:
Tikhon29605 said:
I have just read on another forum that Bishop Mark has been removed as the administrator of the Diocese of the South at St Seraphim's Orthodox Cathedral in Dallas.  Is this true? Does anyone know anything about it? Why was he removed? Who removed him? Was he re-assigned somewhere else?  What is going on at St. Seraphim's?
The Bishop would be stationed in the American Diocese headquarters. (Which is everywhere in America)
I think that bishop's see is as Bishop of Philadelphia, PA but resides at St. Tikhon's outside of Scranton in South Canaan, PA.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
podkarpatska said:
WPM said:
Tikhon29605 said:
I think that bishop's see is as Bishop of Philadelphia, PA but resides at St. Tikhon's outside of Scranton in South Canaan, PA.
But that is only the regional Northeastern US not the further spread of West and South USA.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
WPM said:
podkarpatska said:
WPM said:
Tikhon29605 said:
But that is only the regional Northeastern US not the further spread of West and South USA.
There are different dioceses of the OCA.  His Diocese covers eastern Pennsylvania.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
WPM said:
podkarpatska said:
WPM said:
Tikhon29605 said:
Bishop Mark is the new OCA bishop of the Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania. Those regions are in different dioceses.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
The administrative center is St. Tikhon's but the cathedral is in Philly (approx. 3 hours apart).

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
hecma925 said:
Bishop Mark elected to the Diocese of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania by the Holy Synod of the OCA.

http://oca.org/news/headline-news/holy-synod-elects-bishop-mark-maymon-to-eastern-pa-see

Installation date, TBD.
εις ετη πολλα, Δεσποτα!

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
podkarpatska said:
Iconodule said:
The administrative center is St. Tikhon's but the cathedral is in Philly (approx. 3 hours apart).
What parish is the cathedral?
St. Stephen's.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
http://oca.org/news/headline-news/bishop-mark-installed-as-bishop-of-philadelphia-and-eastern-pennsylvania
The Rite of Installation, during which His Grace, Bishop Mark [Maymon] was enthroned as Bishop of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania, was celebrated at the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy at Saint Stephen Cathedral here Saturday, May 10, 2014

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I don't think he'd have a need to remain administrator with a diocese to govern, but who knows if he will turn into an absentee bishop.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
ilyazhito said:
I don't think he'd have a need to remain administrator with a diocese to govern, but who knows if he will turn into an absentee bishop.
Well, he was administrator of the DOS for a bit, but after a bit of a kerfuffle (which I know not all the details), he became "Bishop of Baltimore", really just doing stuff on the Metropolitan Council.  But now he has a Diocese to lead.  Hopefully, he will be a good pastor.