• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Bishops stop commemorating Moscow Patriarch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
Metropolitan Theodore of Mukachevo of the Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine joined Metropolitan Evlogius of Sumy in stopping commemorating Patriarch of Moscow in their dioceses. The same applies to dioceses of Rivne, Volodymyr-Volynskyi and Zhytomyr.

reported by OrthodoxNews on Twitter

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
MP is going to be branded a topical enabler, even a nationalist. It's not a good day for Orthodoxy when core values of the faith are replaced with ideologies of granger. Waiting to see what canon laws are going to be thrown at him for his dismissal.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
From what im seeing among the Moldovans, sympathy for Moscow is largely gone there too. But even though many priests are quite clear and vocal, no bishop has said anything yet other than offering prayers for peace . We shall see, as the Romanian Patriarchate may try to take advantage of the situation.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Fr. Kuraev’s opinion: “I’ve already said in ‘14 that the first Russian soldier crossing the Ukrainian border will dig the grave of the Russian church in Ukraine.”

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
Either way one looks at it. this war won’t be good for the Moscow patriarchate.
It not going to be good for the whole church, the schism wint heal now, but deepen, it embarrassing

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
From what im seeing among the Moldovans, sympathy for Moscow is largely gone there too. But even though many priests are quite clear and vocal, no bishop has said anything yet other than offering prayers for peace . We shall see, as the Romanian Patriarchate may try to take advantage of the situation.
Let's hope the Eastern Catholic sects and the protestant poachers dont atleast.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
It not going to be good for the whole church, the schism wint heal now, but deepen, it embarrassing
I share your worries, but let's not speak for the Holy Spirit. It's an opportunity for repentance just like it's an opportunity for much more hate.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Even Metropolitan Onurfriy of the UOC of MP is not happy with the MP.

God is acting... and revealing the wolves hiding in sheep's clothing...

Christ warned us...

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is related to the topic:

APPEAL OF THE PRIESTS OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH WITH A CALL FOR RECONCILIATION AND ENDING THE WAR
The list of signatories is constantly increasing (up to 253 at the time of this post).

If you use google translate, the first three signatories are missing, they are:
1. Abbot Arseny (Sokolov), Representative of the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia to the Patriarch of Antioch and All the East
2. Hegumen Nektary (Morozov)
3. Priest Alexy Antonovsky

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Metropolitan Theodore of Mukachevo of the Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine joined Metropolitan Evlogius of Sumy in stopping commemorating Patriarch of Moscow in their dioceses. The same applies to dioceses of Rivne, Volodymyr-Volynskyi and Zhytomyr.

reported by OrthodoxNews on Twitter
When they start commemorating the Ucrainican "Met." Epiphanio, I'll worry.
Well, actually I won't. Christ is, and still will be, the Head of His Church.

Even Metropolitan Onurfriy of the UOC of MP is not happy with the MP.
oh? You have some evidence of this, or are you reading hearts again?
God is acting... and revealing the wolves hiding in sheep's clothing...
you do recall the tale of the boy who cried wolf, no?
Christ warned us...
Indeed He did.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When they start commemorating the Ucrainican "Met." Epiphanio, I'll worry.
Well, actually I won't. Christ is, and still will be, the Head of His Church.

oh? You have some evidence of this, or are you reading hearts again?

you do recall the tale of the boy who cried wolf, no?

Indeed He did.
I like the boy who cried wolf analogy. Which boy was lying prior to the invasion of Ukraine? As I believe I have mentioned many times here, lies and the bearing of false witness are the worst of all sins, worse than murder in their destructiveness.

Is there a way to quote so the context is complete?

melkite

Elder
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton
Catholics with a lot of opinions on Ukrainian Orthodoxy at a time of political and ecclesial crisis... This brings flashbacks. At least we're getting clear info.
There are also plenty of us that recognize Orthodoxy's internal issues are not ours to opine on. However, it's perfectly legitimate for us to observe what's going on and have opinions of how it may affect us in the future.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Developing story:
Patriarch Kirill declares bishops of Sumy and Lviv as schismatic.
Moscow Patriarch Kirill: Ukraine Orthodox bishops in 'schism'
“The termination of the commemoration of the Primate of the Church, not because of doctrinal or canonical errors, or delusions, but because of discordance with certain political views and preferences, is a schism, for which anyone who commits it will answer before God, not only in the age to come, but also in the present,” Patriarch Kirill of Moscow wrote March 2 to an archbishop of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which is governed by Kirill.

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
I never wanted to live in a time of troubles. It's very easy to make the mistake of thinking you're doing the right thing. Are Metropolitan Onufriy and his followers mistaken? We'll find out at the Last Judgment. If we're willing interested.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
What does it accomplish when the leaders of one jurisdiction stop commemorating the leaders of another?

melkite

Elder
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton
What does it accomplish when the leaders of one jurisdiction stop commemorating the leaders of another?
The ability to go one's own way with a perceived clear conscience.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
“The termination of the commemoration of the Primate of the Church, not because of doctrinal or canonical errors, or delusions, but because of discordance with certain political views and preferences, is a schism, for which anyone who commits it will answer before God, not only in the age to come, but also in the present,” Patriarch Kirill of Moscow wrote March 2 to an archbishop of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which is governed by Kirill.
There are canonical errors. Patriarch Kirill has failed to instruct both his clergy and his people by refusing to condemn an unprovoked war by some members of his flock on other members of his flock. The blood of Ukrainians spilt by Russians calls to God.

Apostolic Canon 58
If any bishop or presbyter neglects the clergy or the people, and does not instruct them in the way of godliness, let him be excommunicated, and if he persists in his negligence and idleness, let him be deposed.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
There are canonical errors. Patriarch Kirill has failed to instruct both his clergy and his people by refusing to condemn an unprovoked war by some members of his flock on other members of his flock. The blood of Ukrainians spilt by Russians calls to God.

Apostolic Canon 58
If any bishop or presbyter neglects the clergy or the people, and does not instruct them in the way of godliness, let him be excommunicated, and if he persists in his negligence and idleness, let him be deposed.
I truly believe Putin is an antichrist, and Patriarch Kirill is his false prophet, but I pray that I am wrong. How sad! After everything the Russian Church faced under communism, and it came to this... So many martyrs... And now this... 😭

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I'm in ROCOR, and I'm disappointed by how feckless Patriarch Kyrill's response has been. I don't know if he's re-creating what Metropolitan (and later Patriarch) Sergius (Stragodorsky) did to keep the Church alive during a time when it was persecuted by the USSR authorities, but I would have expected him to say something in support of "the suffering Ukrainian Orthodox people" or to emphasize brotherly links between Russia and Ukraine.

I have much respect for Metropolitan Onuphry and how he has been leading the Ukrainian Orthodox Church ever since the events of 2014. He made a very courageous statement about the war on the very first day, and is backing up his words with deeds (services and prayers for peace every day, opening churches to serve as bomb shelters, commissioning dioceses and raising money to help refugees and the Ukrainian army, support of the bishops not commemorating +Kyrill) ever since.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I truly believe Putin is an antichrist, and Patriarch Kirill is his false prophet, but I pray that I am wrong. How sad! After everything the Russian Church faced under communism, and it came to this... So many martyrs... And now this... 😭
Isaiah53IsMessiah, remember you're in Christian News, and polemics are not permitted here. Also, speaking disrespectfully of any clergy or hierarch is not permitted anywhere on this forum. This is a verbal warning, but in the future there will be points.
Thanks. --Ainnir

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
There are also plenty of us that recognize Orthodoxy's internal issues are not ours to opine on. However, it's perfectly legitimate for us to observe what's going on and have opinions of how it may affect us in the future.
This is fair.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Isaiah53IsMessiah, remember you're in Christian News, and polemics are not permitted here. Also, speaking disrespectfully of any clergy or hierarch is not permitted anywhere on this forum. This is a verbal warning, but in the future there will be points.
Thanks. --Ainnir
I'm sorry I didn't mean to break the rules, just sharing my opinion. :/

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Developing story:
Patriarch Kirill declares bishops of Sumy and Lviv as schismatic.
Moscow Patriarch Kirill: Ukraine Orthodox bishops in 'schism'
" Evlogy wrote that he remains in communion with Kyiv Metropolitan Onufriy, leader of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church under Kirill’s jurisdiction.... The archbishop did not explain how he could remove reference to the Moscow primate from the liturgy without effecting a schism. "
They might try to answer that before going on to their self-serving (and wishful) "analysis."

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Thread locked. —Ainnir