• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Black Metal band based specifically around Russian Orthodox aesthetics

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score

https://witchinghourproductions.bandcamp.com/album/litourgiya

Polish band called Batushka. I think the intention is blasphemy, but that's not totally clear. The chants sound unaltered to me.

Need someone who knows Church Slavonic to listen to the whole thing and tell me if they've altered the words, or just left them in the normal Christian way.

Rhinosaur

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
There is a subgroup of black metal, sometimes called white metal, which is pro-Christian.  The upside down cross for this band, however, leads me to believe that this is not what they are.

LukeDM

Reaction score
I can't understand Church Slavonic, but Encyclopaedia Metallum cites their lyrical themes as "blasphemy." Based on the fact that they've only released this album and a single, I don't imagine that the prayers would be correct, which is a shame.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Batushka/3540404077

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Why "Russian Orthodox" as e.g in the first piece of the album mostly Bulgarian chant is used?

It's difficult to catch what they sing (I've heard some parts of the Magnificat and 50th psalm).

There is also no good quality of the booklet

So I can't read what's written.

But the cross placed upside-down is worrisome.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
They've scratched out the faces of Christ and the Theotokos....I went to the website, but, I can't bring myself to listen to any of it.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
They've scratched out the faces of Christ and the Theotokos....I went to the website, but, I can't bring myself to listen to any of it.
Making brand new icons look "ancient" is a thing people who make icons for church stores do.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
mike said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Making brand new icons look "ancient" is a thing people who make icons for church stores do.
Which is silly but not quite the same as defacing.