• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Blake's 7 coming back!

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I have no idea if there's anyone else here that was a fan of this '70s/early '80s BBC science fiction series, but I'm very excited to see that they have announced a re-make:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22079232

If they can do something along the lines of the Battlestar Galactica remake, I will be seriously happy. It was probably my favourite series as a child (even pipping Doctor Who) and even when watching re-runs as a teenager, I still found the writing and the characters excellent - so long as you were able to look past the absolutely diabolical special effects.

Not sure if this is the right place to put this thread (please move if not) and there's a good chance I'm the only one here who will have any interest in this, but I thought I'd share the news in case I'm not the only Blake's 7 fan on the forum.

James

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
This is so weird. I was just thinking about this show this morning. I mean, really thinking about it- remembering whole bits of dialogue. I was wondering how they got away with being so relentlessly bleak in the 1970's, especially toward the end of the series. I haven't seen the show in a long time. I would love to see it get a bit of the BSG treatment- of course, BSG was working off of a pretty bad old show, and the original Blake's 7 is great.

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
This is so weird. I was just thinking about this show this morning. I mean, really thinking about it- remembering whole bits of dialogue. I was wondering how they got away with being so relentlessly bleak in the 1970's, especially toward the end of the series. I haven't seen the show in a long time. I would love to see it get a bit of the BSG treatment- of course, BSG was working off of a pretty bad old show, and the original Blake's 7 is great.
Yeah, that last episode was a shocker wasn't it? Glad to see I'm not the only one who remembers the original fondly. To be honest, though, end '70s/early '80s Britain probably really was that bleak - I mean that show ran through the period that saw the Winter of Discontent and the first couple of years of Thatcher's government. And then there was the all-pervasive Cold War, of course - even Doctor Who had some bleak moments in the ''70s/'80s.

James

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
jmbejdl said:
Iconodule said:
Yeah, that last episode was a shocker wasn't it? Glad to see I'm not the only one who remembers the original fondly. To be honest, though, end '70s/early '80s Britain probably really was that bleak - I mean that show ran through the period that saw the Winter of Discontent and the first couple of years of Thatcher's government. And then there was the all-pervasive Cold War, of course - even Doctor Who had some bleak moments in the ''70s/'80s.

James
Servalan = Margaret Thatcher? Hmm...

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
jmbejdl said:
Iconodule said:

James
To be honest, if you'd offered me a choice between the two I'd have chosen Servalan.

James

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
jmbejdl said:
Iconodule said:
jmbejdl said:
Iconodule said:

James
To be honest, if you'd offered me a choice between the two I'd have chosen Servalan.

James
Servalan: Oh Tarrant, I'm just the girl next door...
Tarrant: If you were the girl next door, I'd move.
Servalan: Where would you move to, Tarrant?
Tarrant: Next door.

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
jmbejdl said:
Iconodule said:
jmbejdl said:
Iconodule said:

James

James
Servalan: Oh Tarrant, I'm just the girl next door...
Tarrant: If you were the girl next door, I'd move.
Servalan: Where would you move to, Tarrant?
Tarrant: Next door.
If you're going to take my 'I'd have chosen Servalan' comment that way (not how I intended it, though I see why you might think so), then I'd have chosen Soolin.

James

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Well, it's been 4 years, and I can't find any updates online about this project. That's not very promising.