• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Blessed St. David's Day (patron saint of Wales)

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
St. David of Wales is my Orthodox patron saint who I chose to acknowledge my Welsh alongside my middle eastern ancestry. Let us pray for his intercessions for the salvation of all & return & revival of full Orthodox Christian faith to the beautiful land of Wales.

Introduction
Saint David
Saint David's Cross, St Davids, Pembrokeshire, Wales Saint David, or Dewi Sant as he's called in the Welsh language, is the patron saint of Wales. His day is 1st March.

His influence is shown in the number of churches dedicated to him in Wales and the celebrations each Saint David's Day.

Saint David factfile
There aren't many facts about St David; but here are the only undisputed ones.

He really existed
He was at the heart of the Welsh church in the 6th century
He came from an aristocratic family in West Wales
His mother was a saint, Saint Non
His teacher was also a saint, St Paulinus
He founded a large monastery in West Wales
He was one of the early saints who helped to spread Christianity among the pagan Celtic tribes of Western Britain
He became Archbishop of Wales, but remained in his community at Menevia (now called St Davids)
He was active in supressing the Pelagian heresy
His shrine became a great place of pilgrimage; four visits to the shrine at St David's were considered the equivalent of two to Rome, and one to Jerusalem!
The most famous story about Saint David tells how he was preaching to a huge crowd and the ground is said to have risen up, so that he was standing on a hill and everyone had a better chance of hearing him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/saints/david_1.shtml#top

St. David of Wales

March 1st
Troparion (Tone 1)
Having worked miracles in thy youth, founded monasteries and converted the pagans who had sought to destroy thee, O Father David, Christ our God blessed thee to receive the episcopate at the place of His Resurrection. Intercede for us, that our lives may be blessed and our souls may be saved.

Kontakion (Tone 6)
The living waters of godly discipline encompassed thee and the saving waters of faith flowed through thy teaching, O Hierarch and Waterman David. Symbolising the baptism of Wales in thy life, thou art worthy of all praise, wherefore we keep festival in thy honour, glorifying thy eternal memory.

King Xantus of South Wales, while riding through a field on his horse saw St. Non and was so overtaken with her beauty and his lust for her that he raped her. She returned to her monastery and bore St. David. He was raised in the women's monastery. He was ordained a priest and later studied under St. Paulinus. He is said to have founded ten or twelve monasteries and 50 churches in Wales and is the Apostle to Wales and its Patron Saint. His monasteries were known for their more extreme asceticism, following more of the Eastern model. The monks ate no meat or fish and drank only water, no wine or beer. Thus, by the 9th century, he had acquired the nickname Aquaticus or "Waterman". David attended a synod at Brevi in Cardiganshire and strongly opposed Pelagianism. He was consecrated archbishop by the patriarch of Jerusalem while on a visit to the Holy Land. The Welsh church held onto this tie to resist the innovations of the West and to hold onto Orthodox rite and theology. St. David died at his monastery in Menevia. The date for his death is reported by various sources as 544, 589 or 601. His name is Dewi or Dewid in Welsh. St. David's godly and fruitful life speaks out forcibly against abortion.
His scroll reads: "O Lord our Lord, how excellent is your name in all the earth."

This Icon is by the hand of Nicholas Papas.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.comeandseeicons.com/d/inp40.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.comeandseeicons.com/d/inp40.htm&h=373&w=300&sz=57&tbnid=R3ZB-o7tIXmoGM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=98&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dst%2Bdavid%2Bof%2Bwales%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=st+david+of+wales&hl=en&usg=__4qEPXV9bMMlPARwVsk3XwoWbfbk=&sa=X&ei=rLFPT8i_FZLjggfnkKncDQ&ved=0CDYQ9QEwBw

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Happy St. David's Day! I love Wales.

:angel:

Shame I don't have any leeks to put in my hat.  ;)

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
biro said:
Happy St. David's Day! I love Wales.

:angel:

Shame I don't have any leeks to put in my hat.   ;)
Yeah, forgot about the leeks. Wales is a beautiful land & I  visited  there in 2010 & went to St. David's cathedral, Llandewi Brefi etc.