Boy Scouts reconsidering stance on gay members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
The Boy Scout of America [BSA] is considering ending its longstanding national membership restrictions based on sexual orientation.

Under the change now being discussed, the different religious and civic groups that sponsor Scout units would be able to decide for themselves how to address the issue — either maintaining an exclusion of gays or opening up their membership.
One Catholic commentator predicted that if the BSA go through with this, then the BSA would be excluded from Catholic parishes, since to sponsor a BSA unit would be to cooperate with a group that supports what is considered an immoral position.

Do Orthodox parishes have BSA units, and would this potential change affect Orthodox-BSA relationships?

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
My GOA parish did, but that was nearly a half-century ago though. I'll check later to see if it is still active. It was a very large troop back in the early 60's.

No way to answer your second question from here.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The BSA currently allows Muslims, Protestants, Jews and Buddhists to join. Does that mean that Catholic churches that host BSA troops are endorsing those positions?

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Iconodule said:
The BSA currently allows Muslims, Protestants, Jews and Buddhists to join. Does that mean that Catholic churches that host BSA troops are endorsing those positions?
True. I think the Catholic commentator is being a bit too dramatic.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
The Boy Scout of America [BSA] is considering ending its longstanding national membership restrictions based on sexual orientation.

Under the change now being discussed, the different religious and civic groups that sponsor Scout units would be able to decide for themselves how to address the issue — either maintaining an exclusion of gays or opening up their membership.
One Catholic commentator predicted that if the BSA go through with this, then the BSA would be excluded from Catholic parishes, since to sponsor a BSA unit would be to cooperate with a group that supports what is considered an immoral position.

Do Orthodox parishes have BSA units, and would this potential change affect Orthodox-BSA relationships?
The Girl Scouts did this years ago, neither the Orthodox or Catholic Churches disaffiliated with them.  Most seem unaware that the local Chartering Organization has complete control over the troop.  They approve leadership and can, although this very rare nowadays, have a closed troop for oly members of that faith.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Αριστοκλής said:
Since when is "sexual orientation" comparable to a religion?
For some people it seems they are identical, since this is the only thing their religion seems to care about. But never mind that...

The argument is, "If an organization allows someone who is x to be a member, then hosting that organization means endorsing x." You either take that logic to its ultimate, silly conclusion or you shouldn't employ it at all.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Αριστοκλής said:
For some people it seems they are identical, since this is the only thing their religion seems to care about. But never mind that...

The argument is, "If an organization allows someone who is x to be a member, then hosting that organization means endorsing x." You either take that logic to its ultimate, silly conclusion or you shouldn't employ it at all.
To answer the original question, when it has an agenda.

And the gays in this case certainly have an agenda.

Now, if you let an openly gay scout in, you're going to either a) have to him sleep in the same tent as the other boy(s) or b) have him sleep by himself.  b somewhat contradicts the whole point of scouting. a raising the question of why they couldn't have a girl sleep in the same tent (they've already had the battle of girls being let into Boy Scouts.

Do I have to explain to the silly why a Church would have a problem with that?

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
ialmisry said:
Iconodule said:
Αριστοκλής said:

Now, if you let an openly gay scout in, you're going to either a) have to him sleep in the same tent as the other boy(s) or b) have him sleep by himself.  b somewhat contradicts the whole point of scouting. a raising the question of why they couldn't have a girl sleep in the same tent (they've already had the battle of girls being let into Boy Scouts.

The Church has a problem with a gay person sleeping in the same tent as a straight person?

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the Church's concern is that they assume all gay men are potentially pedophiles, who want to hang out with boys, and of course we just can't have that. (any more)

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
ialmisry said:
Iconodule said:
Αριστοκλής said:

The Church has a problem with a gay person sleeping in the same tent as a straight person?
  :laugh:

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
stavros_388 said:
Jetavan said:
ialmisry said:
Iconodule said:
Αριστοκλής said:

:laugh:
The lawsuits have reminded the Vatican of that.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
ialmisry said:
Iconodule said:
Αριστοκλής said:

Only when the straight boy is sexually attracted to gay boys.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Jetavan said:
ialmisry said:
Iconodule said:
Αριστοκλής said:

So it is fine if the straight boy is sexually attracted to straight girls?

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
theistgal said:
I think the Church's concern is that they assume all gay men are potentially pedophiles, who want to hang out with boys, and of course we just can't have that. (any more)
Well, there are lawsuits against the BSA for pedophiles preying on boys, IIRC.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Αριστοκλής said:
And since when is it considered sinful? I think David Gibson's opinion represents only a minute fraction of Catholics. (I guess I'm not telling you anything you haven't already figured out.)

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Shanghaiski said:
Αριστοκλής said:
Since people started worshipping it.
:D

But, seriously, it would then follow that the sun is a religion, since there have been people who worshiped it.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Jetavan said:
ialmisry said:
Iconodule said:
Αριστοκλής said:

So it is fine if the straight boy is sexually attracted to straight girls?
As long as you don't allow the straight boy and the straight girl to sleep in the same tent.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
And what is on that agenda for August 14th 2014 at 14:00?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Iconodule said:
Αριστοκλής said:

Really, what is more gay than the Boy Scouts other than parades?

brastaseptim

High Elder
Reaction score
I will never get this whole thing. I mean, I was in the Boy Scouts for six years- and left because of the all-Protestants troop's attitude towards Orthodox and Catholics, not their position towards gay scouts. I mean, I'm bisexual and there was never a problem- of course, none of them were ever exactly what I would call attractive anyway, so that bit never had a reason to come out.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
tuesdayschild said:
orthonorm said:
Isn't one of them a boy scout? The Village People is sorta like combining the worst of both worlds.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
orthonorm said:
ialmisry said:
My gay agenda for the rest of day:
Finish laundry
Put dishes away
Feed dogs
Do an online course for job
Study Hebrew
Force everyone else to become gay married
Watch NOVA
Say prayers
Go to sleep

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
brastaseptim said:
I will never get this whole thing. I mean, I was in the Boy Scouts for six years- and left because of the all-Protestants troop's attitude towards Orthodox and Catholics, not their position towards gay scouts. I mean, I'm bisexual and there was never a problem- of course, none of them were ever exactly what I would call attractive anyway, so that bit never had a reason to come out.
One day you too will be able to be officially within the Boy Scouts while being shunned for being bi.

Free at last!

brastaseptim

High Elder
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
brastaseptim said:
One day you too will be able to be officially within the Boy Scouts while being shunned for being bi.

Free at last!
Yes, because exhanging one shunning for another will be so tremendously fun.  ::)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
brastaseptim said:
orthonorm said:
brastaseptim said:

Free at last!
Yes, because exhanging one shunning for another will be so tremendously fun.  ::)
Irony.

Learn it soon.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Tallitot said:
orthonorm said:
ialmisry said:
Finish gay laundry
Put gay dishes away
Feed gay dogs
Do a gay online course for job
Study gay Hebrew
Watch gay NOVA
Say gay prayers
Go to gay sleep
Fixed that for you so that it properly demonstrates how being gay is the core of everything you do.

Because if that’s not the case, your gay day seems strikingly like my straight day (minus the Jew-y stuff), and that makes me as a Straight-American uncomfortable.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
orthonorm said:
tuesdayschild said:
orthonorm said:
Isn't one of them a boy scout? The Village People is sorta like combining the worst of both worlds.
No: a cop, a construction worker, an american indian, a leather guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Tallitot said:
orthonorm said:
ialmisry said:
Finish gay laundry
Put gay dishes away
Feed gay dogs
Do a gay online course for job
Study gay Hebrew
Watch gay NOVA
Say gay prayers
Go to gay sleep
Fixed that for you so that it properly demonstrates how being gay is the core of everything you do.
This thread gets more awesomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.