• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Breaking the organ donor taboo in Greece

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Story at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7598743.stm

Greece's leading heart transplant surgeon is urging the Athens government to capitalise on a recent high-profile case and encourage more people to carry organ donor cards.

Despite having the worst road accident record in Europe, Greece has the lowest rate of organ donations on the continent, due to ignorance, taboos, and religious beliefs.

But in the past month, there has been a surge of Greeks embracing the concept of donations, following the generosity of an Australian father called Oliver Zammit.

Brief excerpt added so our members can decide if they want to read further (and to make this post compliant with forum policy)  - PtA

tuesdayschild

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
"...due to ignorance, taboos, and religious beliefs."

::)

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
Time for Greece to take the EU lead and establish a Shock Trauma Center where any accident victim can receive Trauma Services in less than an hour.  Everyone in that country has cell phones with instant access to Emergency Services.  Works for 41 years in MD:

R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center

If someone dies, organ transplantation services will be available since the body can be kept alive longer.

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Greece, as well as the United States, for that matter, needs to adopt a presumed consent law relating to organ donations, similar to France's. Unless you specifically opt out of organ donation you should be presumed to have given your consent.

There's no excuse for letting people die just so your organs can rot in the ground with the rest of your corpse.

Maksim

Reaction score
I suspect that this issue will become more controversial if recent questions regarding personality changes after major organ transplants continue.  I have always been skeptical, but it seems that more and more scientists have become concerned about the issue of "transplanted personality". 

In this regard, perhaps Metropolitan Philaret was on to something:  http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/heart_trans.aspx

No medicines, no remedies or attempts to prolong, to detain this departing life, can help any longer... But now—a solution is found! The man is given a new, strange heart, and with this is introduced into his organism a new, strange life, belonging to another man...

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
greekischristian said:
Greece, as well as the United States, for that matter, needs to adopt a presumed consent law relating to organ donations, similar to France's. Unless you specifically opt out of organ donation you should be presumed to have given your consent.

There's no excuse for letting people die just so your organs can rot in the ground with the rest of your corpse.
Liberty Man strikes again, defending the inconsistency of the "enlightenment."

Sorry, Greeki, my organs, according to your principles, are mine to do with I want.  That includes letting them rot, letting them being shalacked and put on the mantel, roasted and served at the funeral lunch.  Anything I want.

Why shouldn't the state presume that having a fertile womb and engaging in sex implies consent to carrying to full term.  The state already presumes that donating sperm in such a transaction implies consent to support the result at least 18 years?

Why shouldn't the state presume that because I died, the state can take all my worldly possessions, if they want my body?  The death tax already presumes that.

For that matter, why wait until I died?

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
Story at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7598743.stm

Greece's leading heart transplant surgeon is urging the Athens government to capitalise on a recent high-profile case and encourage more people to carry organ donor cards.

Despite having the worst road accident record in Europe, Greece has the lowest rate of organ donations on the continent, due to ignorance, taboos, and religious beliefs..
Do they distinguish between the three? :police:

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I must say, I'm shocked that there are those who would oppose organ donation even in this group. Sad.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to add a teaser to the link.

Anyway, I must say that I thought the article had a positive aspect to it, in that people - who might have previously been closed to the idea of organ donation - were looking at the options. Whereas it might be, secularly speaking, the individual's "right" to waste one's organs by having them buried to rot in the ground, or to have oneself taxidermied and kept in a cupboard to be brought out on special occasions, the Church doesn't have a dogma on this matter. People who might have thought that organ donation was taboo, through ignorance or a misunderstanding about the position of the Church, are actually being made aware that it is not and might, out of love, give what they no longer need to someone who does. Seems to me that this is a step in the right direction.

Apparently, Archbishop Serapheim of Athens, stated in 1985, that he had willed his kidneys and eyes for donation after his death - http://books.google.com.au/books?id=c_XqJGGvF5QC&pg=PA168&lpg=PA168&dq=%22organ+donation%22+%2B+%22eastern+orthodox%22&source=web&ots=uSb1nRPkRB&sig=hU1ZAXbUiJ-V3R6FkCSHj_OcDIQ&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
greekischristian said:
I must say, I'm shocked that there are those who would oppose organ donation even in this group. Sad.
One, you didn't speak of organ DONATION.

You spoke of organ CONFISCATION.

But being "enlightened," I'm quite sure you don't know the difference.

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
greekischristian said:

I suggested implied consent with the specific option of opting out. Of course, I wouldn't really have any problems with confiscation after death. Only living individuls have rights, the dead have no rights. I see no conflict between this view and the ideals of the enlightenment...to suggest that those who no longer exist should enjoy the same rights as the living is simply absurd.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
greekischristian said:
ialmisry said:
greekischristian said:

I suggested implied consent with the specific option of opting out.
How about servitude with the specific option of opting out?  McCain and Obama should have brought it up on that National Service Forum.

Of course, I wouldn't really have any problems with confiscation after death. Only living individuls have rights, the dead have no rights. I see no conflict between this view and the ideals of the enlightenment...to suggest that those who no longer exist should enjoy the same rights as the living is simply absurd.
So, like I said, why not let the state confiscate estates.  The dead didn't take it with them, why not let the living state take it, last will and testiment or no last will and testiment.

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
How about servitude with the specific option of opting out?  McCain and Obama should have brought it up on that National Service Forum.
Why not post that in the politics thread and we'll talk about it.

So, like I said, why not let the state confiscate estates.  The dead didn't take it with them, why not let the living state take it, last will and testiment or no last will and testiment.
I'm not really against high inheritance taxes...it's a reasonable way for the state to collect revenue while having a minimum impact on the economy. The negative impacts are really only seen in small-scale agriculture, which is a sector of the economy we only prop up for outdated cultural reasons.