• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Buggies are running amok.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Several weeks ago I was thanking Him for little gnats.  They are so tiny and so amazing. . . and I love ants. . .and bees. . . . and grasshoppers and crickets. . .and praying mantises. . . but I draw the line on the blood sucking critters.  I can pray for the grace to love them too.. .but I'm so not there yet.  

I picked up a case of lice just recently.  So I've treated and treated and treated for the past three weeks.  Washed everything in the house, sprayed. . . every single day.  I finally called the doctor because these things are not going away.  I used the prescription and maybe hopefully I will be DONE with them this week.

Just in time for bed bugs to make an appearance.  . . .gah. . .really??!  Well, I did travel a LOT last year.  These things make sleep miserable.  . so I cleaned and dusted with powder and sprayed. . .and what do they do. . . move to my recliner in the living room.  They aren't bothering my hubby at all (chemo and radiation).  But they are eating me and my dog Jess alive.  

Then . . .nope, not finished yet . . . (beginning to feel like the Pharaoh, here.) there are three places where there are holes in the ceiling where raw wood is showing.  The roof is fixed, so thankfully these places are at least not leaking any longer. . .but they have either gotten wood mites or chiggers in them, one. . .and of course, one of these holes (five feet by four feet) is over my downstairs desk where I work. ..and the other is in the foyer (three by four feet) where I fold clothes and the other is the complete laundry room roof where I wash and dry the clothes. . .

So I've been praying and asking what He's trying to show me. . .or should I just be patient for Him to use this for His glory?  Or. . .could He PLEASE have mercy on me??!!

Please pray.

I'd like to say I just don't need this on top of everything else. . . but I know that isn't the way life works - and so I'm trying to keep a good attitude about it.  

:)

I'll post a pic when I shave my head.  ;)

But fun aside, please pray.  I'm very tired, and have had to ignore other things that are important in order to clean this mess up.  

Thank you,

so I'm just . . . really miserable right now.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Just recently I had so many mosquitos flying around my car in broad daylight.  It's as if they were waiting for me.  Not a pleasant experience.

Some time ago, I roomed with my friends in Brooklyn when doing a rotation there.  Needless to say, the apartment was bed bug infested, like 75% of all of Brooklyn.  Had to endure 6 weeks of that crap.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
quietmorning said:
Several weeks ago I was thanking Him for little gnats.  They are so tiny and so amazing. . . and I love ants. . .and bees. . . . and grasshoppers and crickets. . .and praying mantises. . . but I draw the line on the blood sucking critters.  I can pray for the grace to love them too.. .but I'm so not there yet.  

I picked up a case of lice just recently.  So I've treated and treated and treated for the past three weeks.  Washed everything in the house, sprayed. . . every single day.  I finally called the doctor because these things are not going away.  I used the prescription and maybe hopefully I will be DONE with them this week.

Just in time for bed bugs to make an appearance.  . . .gah. . .really??!  Well, I did travel a LOT last year.  These things make sleep miserable.  . so I cleaned and dusted with powder and sprayed. . .and what do they do. . . move to my recliner in the living room.  They aren't bothering my hubby at all (chemo and radiation).  But they are eating me and my dog Jess alive.  

Then . . .nope, not finished yet . . . (beginning to feel like the Pharaoh, here.) there are three places where there are holes in the ceiling where raw wood is showing.  The roof is fixed, so thankfully these places are at least not leaking any longer. . .but they have either gotten wood mites or chiggers in them, one. . .and of course, one of these holes (five feet by four feet) is over my downstairs desk where I work. ..and the other is in the foyer (three by four feet) where I fold clothes and the other is the complete laundry room roof where I wash and dry the clothes. . .

So I've been praying and asking what He's trying to show me. . .or should I just be patient for Him to use this for His glory?  Or. . .could He PLEASE have mercy on me??!!

Please pray.

I'd like to say I just don't need this on top of everything else. . . but I know that isn't the way life works - and so I'm trying to keep a good attitude about it.  

:)

I'll post a pic when I shave my head.  ;)

But fun aside, please pray.  I'm very tired, and have had to ignore other things that are important in order to clean this mess up.  

Thank you,

so I'm just . . . really miserable right now.
LORD have mercy.  If they ever make a remake of Star Trek I, send in a picture of the shaved head.  It may get you the part. :)

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Just recently I had so many mosquitos flying around my car in broad daylight.  It's as if they were waiting for me.  Not a pleasant experience.

Some time ago, I roomed with my friends in Brooklyn when doing a rotation there.  Needless to say, the apartment was bed bug infested, like 75% of all of Brooklyn.  Had to endure 6 weeks of that crap.
Quietmorning, I'm so sorry, I didn't realize this is prayer forum.  Lord, have mercy!  Definitely will pray for you.  :)

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
minasoliman said:

Quietmorning, I'm so sorry, I didn't realize this is prayer forum.  Lord, have mercy!  Definitely will pray for you.  :)
No apologies necessary. :) 

marigold

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lord, have mercy on Your handmaiden, quietmorning. Alleviate her burdens, of which she has many at the moment.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
hope it's all getting better for you.
may God give u strength

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Update:

Lice is gone.
Bedbugs appear to be gone.

But we are still invaded with mites.  They have gotten so bad that I'm getting about an hour of sleep a night.  Jess has sores on her paws from chewing them.  I called the vet today and explained what was going on.  She was wonderful.  She asked me to bring Jess down to see her, told her we have some kind of mite invasion - she asked me to describe them - told her that there were four kinds and described them to her. . . told her I didn't think it would be a good idea for us to come down there.  LOL - she agreed and prescribed medication for Jess and the cats, told me they are bird mites - we probably have abandoned nests in the roof or eaves or something.  Told me that I need to call the doctor immediately and start treatment for me and my husband - especially my husband since he is on chemo.  Called the doc - my husband called spoke to his doc - they don't have a clue what to do.  They are getting into our eyes, nose and ears - not to mention biting us.  I called an exterminator - they are going to call me in the morning once the find out what they can do and what they can't do.  Seems that this is a pretty rare event around here, or something.  I don't know.

So tomorrow I get to call the CDC to get a protocol for mine and my husband's doctors for treatment.
And hopefully the bug people can get this taken care of.

Ok - now the good stuff.  I needed this.  I can't tell you how I needed this.  This was a God send as bad as it is and as miserable as I am.  I do something that I haven't seen before.  I am an 'adult child' an adult that grew up in an abusive and neglectful household.  I tend to need permission to act - and I tell someone there is a need and if I am ignored, then I wait and wait and wait . . .and usually a crisis like this happens because I revert back to that child who can't do anything.  So calling the exterminator way back when I first mentioned the problem to my husband was something I didn't even think to do.  I had to have permission to act, I had to wait and wait and wait.  . .  for the ok.  Part of the whole dysfunction thing.  

I never saw this as clearly as I see this now.  Thank God for bugs.  Even bloodsucking bugs. . .the kind that cause a crisis so that I can heal a little and become a little more able to take care of the person that is the adult, now.  

Thank you for your prayers.  I don't know that I would have seen and understood this without His grace and your prayers.

I am in your debt.  Thank you.

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
Glad thingss are looking up and especially for the new insights.  Still praying for you though.  Lord, have mercy.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Maximum Bob said:
Glad thingss are looking up and especially for the new insights.  Still praying for you though.  Lord, have mercy.
Thank you for your continued prayers, Bob . . .we're not out of the woods, yet.  :)

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Through the intercessions of St. Basil the Great, LORD have mercy!

NanaDeborah

Elder
Reaction score
Ok - now the good stuff.  I needed this.  I can't tell you how I needed this.  This was a God send as bad as it is and as miserable as I am.  I do something that I haven't seen before.  I am an 'adult child' an adult that grew up in an abusive and neglectful household.  I tend to need permission to act - and I tell someone there is a need and if I am ignored, then I wait and wait and wait . . .and usually a crisis like this happens because I revert back to that child who can't do anything.  So calling the exterminator way back when I first mentioned the problem to my husband was something I didn't even think to do.  I had to have permission to act, I had to wait and wait and wait.  . .  for the ok.  Part of the whole dysfunction thing. 

I never saw this as clearly as I see this now.  Thank God for bugs.  Even bloodsucking bugs. . .the kind that cause a crisis so that I can heal a little and become a little more able to take care of the person that is the adult, now. 

Thank you for your prayers.  I don't know that I would have seen and understood this without His grace and your prayers.

I am in your debt.  Thank you.
Oh Quietmorning, I can so identify with what you said here.  I am so happy for you, that this misery has brought about some real healing in your life.  I am confident that this was a big breakthrough for you, which will start a cascade of good changes in your life. Hugs to you!

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Lord have mercy.  May God continue to make His presence manifest in your life to help you heal and grow and may He relieve all of your burdens.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Ok.  I need to find out who on earth knows anything about treating bird mites in people.  I can't get anyone on the line at the CDC, or the health department.  Our doctors have no clue and asked us to contact the CDC.  The human mite (scabies) treatment does NOT work, here.  They are getting in to our eyes (they actually FIGHT to get in!) and up our noses and ears. . .and I'm sure they aren't the cleanest things alive.  

All the medical journals seem to think that taking a shower will do the trick.  NOT.  I left a message for an entomologist up at Vanderbilt - maybe he'll call me back, but even if he does, he can't write a protocol for a physician.  

Orkin ran into some problems with our attic.  They can only help until there are repairs done to it - and remove the nests around the house.   But this is a temporary fix.  We don't know if we have to throw out the furniture or not, yet.  

If you all have any ideas (on who I might contact to get a treatment protocol) please PM me.  . . . .and definitely keep praying.  

Thank you!

Fotina02

Reaction score
Lord have mercy.

Maybe ask your priest to come bless your house?

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Fotina02 said:
Lord have mercy.

Maybe ask your priest to come bless your house?
I think he should actually stay away for a bit. . .but yes, first thing on my list is a good house blessing as soon as we are not so contagious! :)

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Update:

We called new pest control people today.  They are bird licensed and know what they are doing.  I will call them back tomorrow to arrange for an appointment. 

I am exhausted.  No sleep from the constant bites from the mites.  If they aren't biting they are crawling all over - **shudders**.  It's amazing to me how something that TINY can possibly be felt. . . .I think they stomp or something.  (meh)  Coupled with having to do a massive amount of laundry every day and vacuum the whole house every day to keep them from mulitplying into the gazillions.  Tomorrow I have to work, I don't know how I'm going to get everything done.  Neal is beginning to be pretty weak and tires easily.  He has managed some help, but I don't want to push him. 

My priest called yesterday.  He is definitely going to bless the house as soon as we get this problem resolved. . .and he said that and maybe an exorcism.  :)  I think at this point, I may be in agreement with him. 

Please continue to pray. . . learning to be content in all things .  . . 

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping us updated so we can continue to pray for you.  Lord, have mercy.

NanaDeborah

Elder
Reaction score
Lord have mercy. I wish I lived nearby so I could come and help you with all that. And give you a big hug and take you out for coffee.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
mabsoota said:
sounds gross.
:(
may God give you peace.
Well, at least they are not disease vectors, as far as the peeps in the know, know. ..or at least that's what they 'think' - there isn't a lot known as there just haven't been that many cases.  

In any case. . .thank you for your blessing. . . we are finding our routine in this - so we are able to get everything done that needs to be done when it needs to be completed so that we can actually get into bed before 2am.  We are shooting for a nice normal 10pm - so far the earliest has been midnight (last night).  Yesterday I had a new perspective on this whole event. . .and was quite taken by it and felt very blessed.  So as gross as they are, they brought good tidings with their little nip/stings.  (Heh, sometimes you have to swallow something that turns your stomach to get to the good stuff.)

We had a bird licensed exterminator come out today - and we have quite the problem.  He gave us two options. One is a quick fix at nearly 20 grand (tent and fumigate) the other is absolutely not a quick fix and about five thousand less over the course of one or two years.  If we do anything, we will probably do that latter - as much as we can do and then sell the house to someone who wants an antique home to restore.  Who knows. . .not there yet. . .sometimes my best laid plans go all kablewy with something better from our Father.  Wait and see.

Today I am at peace. . .and by calculations I might just have one more night before the newbies on the block are old enough to take any bites.  :)

Lord have mercy, thank You mighty God for you grace in itty bitty mites.  It's amazing that something so teeny tiny can be such a force to be reconded with - and absolutely be used to change my life according to Your will.  Alleluia! Glory to You, Oh God!  Thy will be done!  +++

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
Wow, Lord, have mercy.  Continuing to pray for you.

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
I'm still praying for you.

Do you have homeowner's insurance?  Maybe that will pay for part of the cost?

Lord have mercy!