• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

buying a safe

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ok i know this is kinda a weird topic, but here goes.

im looking to buy a safe to store some stuff of personal value, in the event of a fire/burglary/water/etc. it needs to be atleast 20 inches deep and height needs to be more than 30 inches.

kinda want a heavy safe and ill have someone deliver it.

you all know some pretty quirky stuff so i think there is a good chance someone can help me out here.

im not looking to spend thousands of dollars on one and im not looking for what mt athos has for their icons.

ive been wanting to do this for a long time now but just now considering it since im in an apartment with a lot of people and it is not gated. who knows if a water heater starts leaking through the ceiling or a fire destroys everything.

theres no monetary value just some stuff i have that goes back a few generations.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
Have you tried searching on the internet  ;)?

Have you thought about a safe deposit box in a bank?

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
Fire safes aren't rated for very serious fires, and anyone who really wants to can get into a personal safe. A file cabinet and some ziplocks are the sane way to go IMO. Or J Michal's suggestion.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Dry storage is one option. You know those storage buildings that you can rent to put stuff? ..

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Below is what we use in a nuclear power plant:

http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/file-cabinets-accessories/fire-proof-file-cabinets/product-prod3293244

For an unauthorized person to get into these, they would have to really want what was in them and have some time to get through the lock.  For the stuff we really want to secure, we weld tabs with holes in them to the file (not the drawer) and then run a steel rod through the tabs so that the drawers cannot be opened.  This rod is padlocked so that it cannot be removed without yet another key.

yeshuaisiam

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Get one that has a fire rating and has the capability to being bolted to your foundation/floor.  This way somebody can't just "dolly" the safe out of your home.  It doesn't have to be a pricey one, just so long as it bolts/screws down (from the inside of course).

Also you don't want one that feels like sheet metal only.

Costco has some good safes.

Michael David

Reaction score
Ever look at a gun safe from a sporting goods store? Plenty tall, should be about the right width, and they are usually over 200 pounds. Prices hover between say $500-900 for a pretty good quality one. You do have to bolt them down because they are "front heavy," but as said, if you worry about theft, it should be anyways. These sorts of stores would deliver it as well.

Other people here provided great options! I think it certainly depends on what you're storing. If it's a bunch of oddly shaped things of different heights and widths, or if its primarily papers, that will have an impact.

Best of luck!

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
He's in an apartment.  I'm not sure they'd appreciate him bolting things to their floors.  I think a safe deposit box in a bank is the way for him to go for now, unless he's got really big stuff like furniture, etc. or lots and lots and lots of small stuff, then the dry storage option might work.  If he wants easy access to it, these two options could be problematic.

Here's a thought----he could just put the stuff in shoe boxes in a closet and booby-trap them  ;D ;D.  Works against thieves.  Against fire and water, well...not so much  ;D.

Michael David

Reaction score
J Michael said:
He's in an apartment.  I'm not sure they'd appreciate him bolting things to their floors.  I think a safe deposit box in a bank is the way for him to go for now, unless he's got really big stuff like furniture, etc. or lots and lots and lots of small stuff, then the dry storage option might work.  If he wants easy access to it, these two options could be problematic.

Here's a thought----he could just put the stuff in shoe boxes in a closet and booby-trap them  ;D ;D.  Works against thieves.  Against fire and water, well...not so much  ;D.
Haha, that's certainly true! Very good point.

And booby-traps are a good idea too! Some sort of external storage place makes more sense, but they don't use booby-traps.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Punch said:

http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/file-cabinets-accessories/fire-proof-file-cabinets/product-prod3293244

For an unauthorized person to get into these, they would have to really want what was in them and have some time to get through the lock.  For the stuff we really want to secure, we weld tabs with holes in them to the file (not the drawer) and then run a steel rod through the tabs so that the drawers cannot be opened.  This rod is padlocked so that it cannot be removed without yet another key.
Cool!  That's similar to something I got a few years back.  Just for papers and stuff.  Now if only I could get organized enough to actually put them IN it!!!  :D

Jason.Wike

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Punch said:

That doesn't make me feel confident about nuclear power plants, you would think anyone wanting to run off with something would find it impossible to get on the grounds at all, much less to a filing cabinet.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
If you really want to keep something safe, put it on an island in the middle of a poison lake surrounded by impenetrable fire and let it be guarded by Komodo dragons.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I find that this one suits my needs just perfectly and would highly recommend one for you as well.  It is only $4 million dollars for the solid gold version.  You can cheap out and get a gold plated one for 40k, but what the heck, for your important belongings, they deserve to be encased in gold.

http://www.superyachtworld.com/lifestyle/ultimate-design-millionaire-safe/