• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Byzantine Catholicism in Slovakia

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I'm interested in any information you might have on Byzantine Catholicism in Slovakia. 

My great grandparents were from Jastrabie, Slovakia, and raised my grandfather a Byzantine Catholic.  He even made the sign of the cross the way Orthodox do!

My great grandparents were married in the Byzantine Catholic Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God.  http://grksarjastrabie.fara.sk/joomla/  Below are pictures.  What fun genealogy is!

Ain't that something?

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Frankly speaking, despite being our neighbours, I associate Greek Catholicism in Slovakia with such multimedia:
http://www.grkat.nfo.sk/hudba/index.html#Chrys-svb
http://www.grkat.tv/home

Plus also the characteristic wooden churches in the mountains, typical for Lemkos, Boykos, Hutsuls - surely, also typical for Orthodox parishes in this area.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Some of the churches comprising the OCA and ACROD today were of Slovakian Byzantine Catholic origin.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Some of the churches comprising the OCA and ACROD today were of Slovakian Byzantine Catholic origin.
How did that happen?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
And then there is the later case of Fr Orestes Chornock bringing Greek Catholic parishes under the EP to form ACROD. Not that all of them were of Slovakian origin but some are.

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Alpo said:
Dominika said:
Alpo said:
Iconodule said:
How did that happen?

Saint Alexis (Toth)
Him alone?
Well, God, too.
FWIW, My parish was an Eastern rite Catholic Church.  Around 1900 we were received into the Orthodox Church by St. Tikhon of Moscow (my patron).  Old documents say this was because the Roman Catholic diocese at the time refused to send us an Eastern rite priest.

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
And then there is the later case of Fr Orestes Chornock bringing Greek Catholic parishes under the EP to form ACROD. Not that all of them were of Slovakian origin but some are.
How are you using the term Slovakian?  As citizenship? Because the country of Slovakia did not exist.  As ethnicity?  There is both a Slovakian Greek Catholic Church for Ethnic Slovaks and a Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church for Ethnic Rusyns.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Sorry, yes, I'm referring to the region known today as Slovakia. It would have been part of the Austro-Hungarian empire at the time of immigration.

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Sorry, yes, I'm referring to the region known today as Slovakia. It would have been part of the Austro-Hungarian empire at the time of immigration.
This book dates back to 1963 when the memories of all the in-fighting were still fresh:
https://archive.org/details/HistoricalMirrorGreekRiteCatholics1884-1963