Can I wear a robe to the Divine Liturgy?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Please don't ask why ;)

Something along the lines of this:
[/img]
Lol, please do, and could you take pictures of the looks on the faces of the parishioners?  ;) :D  Seriously though, I dunno, I can't see anything wrong with it, though you might get some dirty looks. Maybe giving a heads up to the priest and/or deacon first would be good?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Yes, but the canons stipulate: "If a layman enter a temple of God in a dorky Western monk's robe, let him smack himself repeatedly in the face with a wooden board whilst repeating pie jesu domine, dona eis requiem." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYEuJ5u1K0&feature=fvst

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Iconodule said:
Yes, but the canons stipulate: "If a layman enter a temple of God in a dorky Western monk's robe, let him smack himself repeatedly in the face with a wooden board whilst repeating pie jesu domine, dona eis requiem." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYEuJ5u1K0&feature=fvst
Funny, I don't remember reading that in the canons.  I thought it came later in the Book of Armaments...

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
LOL!! Will do Asteriktos!

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Well, you certainly can't be arrested for indecent exposure. . .

I'll pass you some calamine lotion after you take it off - the burlap will certainly itch!

Seriously, though - my main concern would be whether it would be disruptive for someone else . . .or a stumbling block to them in some way.  It certainly would bend a few necks.  So, looking at your motives - which I have no idea what they are - but it's totally not necessary for me to know - are your motives selfless?  Are they loving?  Are they humble?  Is this necessary?  Are you doing it for the pure sake of Christ?  Are your motives honest? 

Though you might be mistaken for Francis of Assisi and then the Priest will have to get someone to shovel up all the manure from the animals you seem to collect. THAT might not make him very happy. 

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Iconodule said:

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
quietmorning said:
Seriously, though - my main concern would be whether it would be disruptive for someone else . . .or a stumbling block to them in some way.  It certainly would bend a few necks.  So, looking at your motives - which I have no idea what they are - but it's totally not necessary for me to know - are your motives selfless?  Are they loving?  Are they humble?  Is this necessary?  Are you doing it for the pure sake of Christ?  Are your motives honest? 
Great advice.

PoorFoolNicholas

OC.Net Guru
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Forgive me for prying, but, in my 4+ years of attending many different parishes, in many different states/cities, I have never run into a situation where I had to wear such attire. Like I said, forgive me for prying, but what is your reason for wanting/needing to wear such robes to a Divine Liturgy?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
PoorFoolNicholas said:
Forgive me for prying, but, in my 4+ years of attending many different parishes, in many different states/cities, I have never run into a situation where I had to wear such attire. Like I said, forgive me for prying, but what is your reason for wanting/needing to wear such robes to a Divine Liturgy?
Maybe he's going to a Star Wars convention right after liturgy, and if his date--who is an uber-geeky star wars chick--sees him in clothes more typical of Church she'll think he's a spirituality-geek, dump him, and his whole life will be ruined forever and ever.

http://theageofvolcanoes.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/star_wars_babe-thumb.jpg

I know I'd wear a robe to divine liturgy for her if that was necessary.  :p

CAUTION: Some may find the above photo of a Carrie Fisher/Princess Leia imitation, which I have masked by turning it into a link, offensive. Viewer discretion is therefore advised.  -PtA

Ambrose of Milan

Reaction score
It is against the law. "Thou shalt now wear the robe of a Jedi without express approval of the council." 2 Corellians 2:15

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I usually go like this: 
  It gives our priest an interesting challenge when distributing the Eucharist.

pensateomnia

Archon
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Please don't ask why ;)
Are you a Roman Catholic mendicant/friar? If not, then no, you may not wear such a robe!

It is extremely inappropriate to falsely wear the garb of religious office you do not hold, especially in a liturgical context. Stranger still to pretend to hold a heterodox office!

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
pensateomnia said:
Achronos said:
Please don't ask why ;)
Are you a Roman Catholic mendicant/friar? If not, then no, you may not wear such a robe!

It is extremely inappropriate to falsely wear the garb of religious office you do not hold, especially in a liturgical context. Stranger still to pretend to hold a heterodox office!
Well now, if he cut a hole around the buttocks area, he could say that he held the office of Flatulant.  Then he could wear the robe.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
pensateomnia said:
Achronos said:
Please don't ask why ;)

This is one of the people I warned you about who would give you dirty looks  ;)

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
pensateomnia said:
Achronos said:
Please don't ask why ;)

This is one of the people I warned you about who would give you dirty looks  ;)
Yet, I do agree with his objection, although I may have phrased it a bit more gently. Seriously, though I think the OP may be driving at a deeper question--how to efface oneself and not stand out. Of course, if he were to use such a robe, he would certainly stand out. If that is indeed his query, my answer would be to cloth himself in the manner of most folks in his parish.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
When I first started attending an Orthodox Church, I asked the priest what the dress code was.  Probably best to ask your priest.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
If as a layperson you wear a robe like that people will think you're a total weirdo, and rightly so. I'd think you were one too.

Never mind the fact that the priest might actually think you are mocking his robes by wearing this kind of costume. Keep in mind that Orthodoxy is not a neat roleplaying game where you get to "play" at medieval monastic life. It is a living ancient tradition, and most if not all people would see this as disrespecting that fact.

Try to blend in. The whole point of going to church is to pray, not to create a circus where everyone around you is staring at you the whole time.

Do you already wear one of these?

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Maybe he's a Fool for Christ...  ;)
One of my books on a Fool for Christ, "Seraphim's Seraphim", talks about how she would drown cats in her free time. Sometimes people are really just crazy!

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Asteriktos said:
Maybe he's a Fool for Christ...  ;)
One of my books on a Fool for Christ, "Seraphim's Seraphim", talks about how she would drown cats in her free time. Sometimes people are really just crazy!
Well, I would agree with that. I don't know, I just wouldn't find it offensive if he did it. I'd actually laugh and find it quite funny, and I would be much more likely to strike up a conversation with him afterwards, thinking he must have an interesting sense of humor. I would think that wearing shorts and sandals to Church was worse (but still not really that bad) than wearing a robe... I know I'm a bit strange though  8)

EDIT--Also, for the record, I generally support the idea of "blending in," and "When in Rome, doing what the Romans do," as far as what dress is appropriate... I just think it'd be an overreaction to get offended...

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
What if I wore a robe like this?

With the smile included? Smile back. If he winks, let him know that I play on a different team than him.

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Study and  become a Orthodox Cantor or join the Church choir, they may put you in a Orthodox Robe ,,this way you'll  fit in... ;D

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Ok, next sunday, I'm seriously hauling out the snuggie. It's cold in our cathedral!

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Kinda like a story I heard once about St. John Maximovitch. His superior once ordered him to wear shoes, since he had a reputation for doing almost everything, including celebrating Liturgy, barefoot. St. John wore his shoes, all right... hanging by their laces around his neck. "You told me to wear shoes. You just didn't tell me where to wear them." :laugh:

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Asteriktos said:
Woah. I'm assuming she did this before she entered monasticism?

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Achronos, I would have no problem with you wearing yours, as long as I can wear mine.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I've got!

I was thinking that maybe Achronos was trying to hide an imperfection of some kind - peg leg, etc.

However, I am now thinking that he wishes to attend services incognito.  A chance to go and pray, an not be recognized while doing it. 
For example, if a celebrity or politician wished to go to church, and not necessarily be associated with that church in public.

You know...some politicians wish to remain "neutral", and their religious affiliation may be held against them.

So, in that case...what's a person to do?

Maybe attend services in the middle of the week when fewer people are in attendance?
Maybe just swallow the pill and be proud of your faith, come what may.

I would pick the second.

I am Orthodox, and while it's not the most "popular" thing to be, and sometimes even makes our work/school/social life difficult, I don't care.  It's the most important thing in my life.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
One thing that cracked me up in The Fellowship of the Ring was when they said the Nazgul were "disguised" as black riders.

Yeah, nice disguise.