Can I wear a robe to the Divine Liturgy?

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
It find some of these responses interesting.  If most of the posters actually believed what they posted, they would not even notice someone coming into Church with a robe on.  But alas, we show our humility by judging what everyone else is doing.

To the OP, I personally would see no problem wearing the robe.  I would find it far less offensive than some of the getups that I have seen in my years in Church.  The cowl would be a bit over the top since it is the women that should have the head covered and not the man, but that is really about it.  I think the issue is what is in your heart when you do it, not what is in everyone else heart.  If everyone would take the time to tend their own garden, they would find themselves too busy to worry about what is going on in their neighbor's garden.  But then again, we know that is not going to happen.  I, too, prefer a robe.  And fortunately, due to my position, my priest allows me to wear my black Gibi when I serve in the church.  I don't know why, but I have always felt closer to God when I wear it.  I think that there is a lot to be said about wearing special attire before God, and I believe that the Coptics are way ahead of us in this regard.  It has nothing to do with what other people think.  And, if one of our good Christians want to judge you for being prideful, let them.  The sin is on them, not you.  On the other hand, you should get the blessing of your priest regarding the matter.  Doing something in disobedience is never good.  If my priest told me that I could not wear my Gibi, I would not.  I would not be happy about it, but that would be my problem to deal with and not that of anyone else. 

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
stashko said:
what I would Like to see all Orthodox revert  back to wearing there ethnic costumes to Church ,and the english converts to Holy Orthodox can don there pilgrim costumes.......... ;D
I couldn't go dressed as a pilgrim, I am a native. And the native style of dress would be considered immodest in Western Society. The Quinaults were naked pretty much year round ;)

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Punch said:
It find some of these responses interesting.  If most of the posters actually believed what they posted, they would not even notice someone coming into Church with a robe on.  But alas, we show our humility by judging what everyone else is doing.
Wow! That's pretty ripe. You judging us for judging. ::) ;)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Quinault said:
stashko said:
what I would Like to see all Orthodox revert  back to wearing there ethnic costumes to Church ,and the english converts to Holy Orthodox can don there pilgrim costumes.......... ;D
I couldn't go dressed as a pilgrim, I am a native. And the native style of dress would be considered immodest in Western Society. The Quinaults were naked pretty much year round ;)
Any naturally born citizen of the USA is a native American. If I were to go as my first folks here in the States dressed, I would go just wearing a bottle of whiskey. Anything else they wore were mere accessories.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
PeterTheAleut said:
Punch said:
particularly when the OP asked us for opinions on wearing this type of clothing.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Schultz said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Punch said:
particularly when the OP asked us for opinions on wearing this type of clothing.
I judge you for judging those who judge those how judge.  :D I kid! I kid!

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Schultz said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Punch said:
It what you get when you fall into temptation.

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I was watching on  U-tube Quite a few Indian Powwows  the Indian traditional  Dances I liked very much ,they didn't seem to be very naked , the woman weren't at all , with there buckskin dresses on  ,the men could for church put on  complete buckskin trousers and a shirt...Im glade there keeping there tradition alive...I really enjoyed watching the dances.....

Quinault said:
stashko said:
what I would Like to see all Orthodox revert  back to wearing there ethnic costumes to Church ,and the english converts to Holy Orthodox can don there pilgrim costumes.......... ;D

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
stashko said:
I was watching on  U-tube Quite a few Indian Powwows  the Indian traditional  Dances I liked very much ,they didn't seem to be very naked , the woman weren't at all , with there buckskin dresses on  ,the men could for church put on  complete buckskin trousers and a shirt...Im glade there keeping there tradition alive...I really enjoyed watching the dances.....

Quinault said:
stashko said:
what I would Like to see all Orthodox revert  back to wearing there ethnic costumes to Church ,and the english converts to Holy Orthodox can don there pilgrim costumes.......... ;D

stashko,

American Indian culture is as diverse as European culture.  What the tribe you saw in that youtube video could have been as culturally distant from Quinalt's as, say, a Cretan is from a Scot.  :)

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm nothing mentioned after my response I disagree with and I have made errors in regards to bringing up false comparisions which Alveus pointed out. When I made the thread I sincerly thought it would be harmless to wear such a garment (realistically speaking I probably wouldn't) and see if there was something in the Church that would prohibit such a usage.

Now wearing blue jeans to Divine Liturgy isn't a bad thing is it?

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
ozgeorge said:
Achronos said:
As long as you iron them with a nice crease down the front of each leg so they look unfashionable.
ironing your jeans to create such a crease is actually incredibly unfashionable and has been for some time, george.  the in-thing now is to wear raw denim w/o washing it for some time so natural folds develop and create a textured patina effect.

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
Schultz said:
ozgeorge said:
Achronos said:
As long as you iron them with a nice crease down the front of each leg so they look unfashionable.
ironing your jeans to create such a crease is actually incredibly unfashionable and has been for some time, george.  the in-thing now is to wear raw denim w/o washing it for some time so natural folds develop and create a textured patina effect.
Exactly. We true Christians must reject the things of this world and ensure that our jeans smell of fabric softener and have nice ironed creases. Thankfully, we don't kneel on Sundays, so the crease should stay nice and crisp and see us through coffee hour.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
ozgeorge said:
Schultz said:
ozgeorge said:
Achronos said:
Exactly. We true Christians must reject the things of this world and ensure that our jeans smell of fabric softener and have nice ironed creases. Thankfully, we don't kneel on Sundays, so the crease should stay nice and crisp and see us through coffee hour.
good point!

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Wear Ed Hardy t-shirts. If you don't feel humble going in, you'll certainly feel humble by the time you leave.

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Achronos said:
I don't think so.  I wear whatever I have available at the time.  More often than not, that is a pair of jeans.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
PeterTheAleut said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
It seems very silly that a sincere Christian who is desiring to dress modestly and in a manner that he believes will help him be more spiritually focused is causing such controversy.
Echoing what Alveus Lacuna has said, wearing a robe is not at all modest if it draws such attention to yourself because you're the only one wearing one. Unlike what you might think in your often dogmatic frame of mind, there's no one absolute dress code that defines modesty. Modesty is an attitude of the heart, not merely an outward appearance. It is by definition a desire to NOT stand out, to NOT call undue attention to oneself, to NOT cry out "LOOK AT ME! I'M WEARING A ROBE! EVERYONE MARVEL AT MY HUMILITY!"

If everyone wore a robe to church, then maybe it would be modest to wear a robe, since not wearing one would draw undue attention to oneself. However, in all the churches I've attended, only the clergy wear robes. To wear a robe when you're not a member of the clergy only makes you look like clergy, which most see as quite pretentious, the exact opposite of modesty.

Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Are we not all called to the monastic life in a sense? Perhaps this individual is trying to dress in a manner that will help him lead a spiritual life.
Then let him dress like that at home where he won't stand out from the rest of the community.

Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I cannot see how any serious minded Christian would be offended by someone wearing a simple robe to Divine Liturgy.
I can. Maybe you just need to get off your high horse and stop being so rigidly dogmatic. There are valid ways to live a serious Christian life that you haven't considered.
Peter, I'm not the one being dogmatic here. The dogma (and condmnation and judgment) is coming from those of you who insist on accusing this poor fellow of arrogance, pride, and individualism simply because he is considering wearing a robe to Church.

You are not his Priest Peter. And I also didn't know you were the Holy Spirit who could judge the thoughts and intetnions of this person's heart. Why don't you just encourage him to consult his Priest and leave it a that? No need to condemn the poor fellow for asking a sincere question.

Selam

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I guess Toga's and outfits worn by Jews during Jesus' time are frowned upon too right? ;D