Can I wear a robe to the Divine Liturgy?

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
those are for priests or other clergymen, not for us, laymen; I even find disturbing the number of "tonsured readers" and other walking cassocks in some churches.
It is confusing with all robes walking  around, one reader or cantor had a cross as big as the Bishops around his neck...I confused him for clergy and kissed his hand ,, he corrected me ,and said he wasn't a priest..see the confustion it can create..... ;D

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
In any parish of my Diocese you would not be permitted to dress in such a manner unless you were at least a duly tonsured reader within any jurisdiction in communion with the Ecumenical Patriarchate. You would not be 'burned at the stake' but you would need to be corrected by the pastor for what would clearly be an attempt by you to imply that you were somehow a reader, sub-deacon or member of the clergy. If you were to continue to dress in such a way, at some point the matter would properly be referred to the ruling Bishop. What exactly are you trying to prove?
I was actually joking.

quietmorning said:
There are a lot of people at my church that wear black t-shirts or black long sleeve t-shirts and black pants - either jeans or dockers to allow themselves to not have to concentrate on clothes. It seems to work very well for them.  I don't know if that fits what you are needing in your worship, but maybe it's a suggestion that might help.

I hate thinking about clothes. . . absolutely hate it.  If I could go to church in a sack, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Not because I'm lazy, but because it really is disconcerting what the latest 'fad' is, how people are judged by what they wear, etc.  Life is more than clothes - people are totally worth more than clothes.

I hope His mercy and wisdom shows you the way you should go - as this seems to be very important to you.  And if His will is that you wear a robe - that you would have the courage and fortitude to do so.  It's His will that's important. 
Agreed.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
There's an Arabic proverb that my father taught me (for the reason of letting me put anything on my own omlette  ;D):  "Qol 3ala mazagaq wa ilbis 3ala mazag al nas," translated "eat what you like, dress up what people like."  Dress is all about what the community accepts.  In theory, no dress, as modest as they may be is wrong.  But even modesty at some level is a judgment call of the community you live in.  The lesson:  just don't try to act different.  Spirituality is not about the clothes you wear, but about the readiness of the heart.

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
those are for priests or other clergymen, not for us, laymen; I even find disturbing the number of "tonsured readers" and other walking cassocks in some churches.
In the first Orthodox Church that I attended, the robe in the upper photo was called a Gibi and was worn by any adult serving behind the Iconostasis, tonsured or not.  One simply did not enter the holy place in street clothes.  In the Russian parish that I attended, only the monks and one reader wore a robe similar to the Gibi.  The reader was allowed to wear his because that is what he wore in the Greek Church as a reader.  The rest of us wore altar server vestments even if we were adults.  In my current Church, Serbian, the men wore street cloths behind the Iconostasis.  I am allowed to wear the Gibi because I was blessed to do so in one of my former Churches, and I explained to the Priest that my conscience is troubled by being in the presence of the altar in street clothes.  The Priest had no problem with this and blessed me to wear the Gibi.

So, I have seen many examples of laymen wearing some form of vestment when serving with the Priest.  I will say that I have only seen Readers and above wearing these robes when not serving.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to somehow increase my level of tolerance for this. It's something that is just not done where I come from and it looks pretentious to me. We only had a sacristan that just wore street clothes.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
In my parish, even a tonsured reader is not permitted to wear his cassock unless he is actively serving as a reader.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
If you want to wear a Reader Cassock than do the hard work required to become one.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Well, if you really want to go the extra mile, get a robe with a matching hat...

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Eugenio said:
Ehhh, why wear something drab and brown when you could go all flashy!

Dressing as Star Wars Emperor Palpatine's Royal Guard would turn more heads at church.
All kidding aside, wearing a robe to any Church that I know of if you were not clergy or in some Greek Churches part of the choir, would turn pretty much all heads from the most kindly, pious person to the biggest hypocrite in the parish. After reading all of the serious and funny posts I think that is the answer to the original question. So, if you want to wear such a robe, be prepared for the reaction. I don't know you but I would be worried about someone who would want to draw such attention to him or herself by wearing such an outfit which I think would distract the rest of the faithful. Just my opinion.

synLeszka

High Elder
Reaction score
There is one standard question to the nature of the value of something in the Orthodox church and it is as follows:
Was it like this in 19th century Russia? So furthermore, you can only wear what they wore in Russia.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
I think it would be cool if everyone wore the same uniform in Church.
img http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/71/StormtrooperCorps_anh1080p.jpg img

Shlomlokh

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
Ortho_cat said:
img http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/71/StormtrooperCorps_anh1080p.jpg img
These aren't the Orthodox you're looking for. Move along!

In Christ,
Andrew

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
synLeszka said:
There is one standard question to the nature of the value of something in the Orthodox church and it is as follows:
Was it like this in 19th century Russia? So furthermore, you can only wear what they wore in Russia.
I hate to break it to you, but the Russians are not the only Orthodox and believe it or not, many of us 'other' Slavs don't like them historically any more than Poles like them.

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
synLeszka said:
I hate to break it to you, but the Russians are not the only Orthodox and believe it or not, many of us 'other' Slavs don't like them historically any more than Poles like them.

We Serbs Love Our Russian Brothers and Sisters in the Faith a whole Lot.......Also All of our Orthodox Brothers and sisters worldwide......
Samo Sloga Pravoslavlje Spasava..... Zhivela Sveta Majka Pravoslavna Russija :police:

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
stashko said:
podkarpatska said:
synLeszka said:

We Serbs Love Our Russian Brothers and Sisters in the Faith a whole Lot.......Also All of our Orthodox Brothers and sisters worldwide......
Samo Sloga Pravoslavlje Spasava..... Zhivela Sveta Majka Pravoslavna Russija :police:
Just to clarify- I am not talking about the Church but Russian nationalism.

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Okey Dokey !..... ;D

podkarpatska said:
stashko said:
podkarpatska said:
synLeszka said:

Just to clarify- I am not talking about the Church but Russian nationalism.

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
Ortho_cat said:
Wow, those guys are old school. They don't even have pews!

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
synLeszka said:
No need to be sore losers.  My family tree (in the last century) has at least one Russian bullet in it and I don't feel the same vehemence for them as some people here.

On subject, I feel more uncomfortable in a Church w/o at least a few robes in it.