• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Can mother teresa go to heaven?

tweety234

High Elder
Reaction score
A Funny muslim dialogue. Would you like to comment on it?
here is the link

http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/13564/can-mother-teresa-a-non-muslim-go-to-heaven/

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
tl;dr!

Any Muslim who thinks Mother Teresa as such cannot enter Yawna or whatever they call it, doesn't know their own faith very well.

So if the article said that, it is correct. Any other point is really superfluous and this is supposed to be some "edgy" subject to get your attention probably to make some bland sweeping generalization.

And FTR, Mother Teresa was no Mother Teresa.

tweety234

High Elder
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
tl;dr!

Any Muslim who thinks Mother Teresa as such cannot enter Yawna or whatever they call it, doesn't know their own faith very well.

So if the article said that, it is correct. Any other point is really superfluous and this is supposed to be some "edgy" subject to get your attention probably to make some bland sweeping generalization.

what was she then?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
tweety234 said:
orthonorm said:
tl;dr!

what was she then?
Point proven. Thank you.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
theistgal said:
orthonorm said:
Christopher Hitchens fan?
Not really, although his whole waterboarding adventure is interesting.

To answer your implied question see my post above.

tweety234

High Elder
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
tweety234 said:
orthonorm said:
tl;dr!

what was she then?
Point proven. Thank you.
who was she then?

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
theistgal said:
orthonorm said:
Christopher Hitchens fan?
I always kind of assume that meme is wrong just because it's popular with the Hitchens fans.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
take a trip down memory lane:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17581.0.html

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
She refused to have elevators put in her hospitals for the disabled even when it was offered to her by the city...she also wouldn't give pain medication to people.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
...she also wouldn't give pain medication to people.
It's a good question if Mother Teresa wouldn't give pain medication at all or only with spiritual discernment; for example when she feels that pain would bring a person closer to God. 

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I don't know for sure if the Sisters of Charity do provide the best or even the proper medical care, and given the donations they receive, it's certainly proper to question this and insist that painkillers and meds be given as appropriate.

However, as for the thread title, I don't see why Mother Teresa can't go to heaven. Since I am the greatest of sinners, she would certainly go ahead of me.  ;)

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
Nathanael said:
...she also wouldn't give pain medication to people.
It's a good question if Mother Teresa wouldn't give pain medication at all or only with spiritual discernment; for example when she feels that pain would bring a person closer to God.   
Either way, it's odd. One sort of crosses a line either way.

tweety234

High Elder
Reaction score
theistgal said:
Personally I don't know for sure if the Sisters of Charity do provide the best or even the proper medical care, and given the donations they receive, it's certainly proper to question this and insist that painkillers and meds be given as appropriate.

However, as for the thread title, I don't see why Mother Teresa can't go to heaven. Since I am the greatest of sinners, she would certainly go ahead of me.  ;)
it was a muslim dialogue between a teacher and a student. They think we are going to hell, just because we are not muslims, and I don't know how to prove it to them that, people don't go to hell because of their religion. They go there because of their wickedness alone.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
tweety234 said:
theistgal said:

it was a muslim dialogue between a teacher and a student. They think we are going to hell, just because we are not muslims, and I don't know how to prove it to them that, people don't go to hell because of their religion. They go there because of their wickedness alone.
Quran 2:62

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

tweety234

High Elder
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
tweety234 said:
theistgal said:

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
That is what I am saying. People who go to hell don't go because of their religion. They only go because of their wickedness.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
tweety234 said:
theistgal said:

Is there not perhaps also a passage in the Quran which contradicts this, as there is for relations with Christians?

Who are the Sabians?

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Shanghaiski said:
Jetavan said:
tweety234 said:
theistgal said:

Who are the Sabians?
Followers of that coach from Alabama?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Either that or really cymbal-obsessed drummers...

truthseeker32

High Elder
Reaction score
JamesR said:
She refused to have elevators put in her hospitals for the disabled even when it was offered to her by the city...she also wouldn't give pain medication to people.
Source, please.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Shanghaiski said:
Is there not perhaps also a passage in the Quran which contradicts this, as there is for relations with Christians?
Quran 5:72

They have certainly disbelieved who say, "Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary" while the Messiah has said, "O Children of Israel, worship Allah , my Lord and your Lord." Indeed, he who associates others with Allah - Allah has forbidden him Paradise, and his refuge is the Fire. And there are not for the wrongdoers any helpers.

Who are the Sabians?
Followers of John the Baptist, living in southern Mesopotamia.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Shanghaiski said:
Jetavan said:
tweety234 said:
theistgal said:

However, as for the thread title, I don't see why Mother Teresa can't go to heaven. Since I am the greatest of sinners, she would certainly go ahead of me.  ;)

Isn't this a case where abrogation would apply?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naskh_(tafsir)

The newer revelations of the (false) prophet override the older ones:

"Many verses counsel patience in the face of the mockery of the unbelievers, while other verses incite to warfare against the unbelievers. The former are linked to the [chronologically anterior] Meccan phase of the mission when the Muslims were too few and weak to do other than endure insult; the latter are linked to Medina where the Prophet had acquired the numbers and the strength to hit back at his enemies. The discrepancy between the two sets of verses indicates that different situations call for different regulations."

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
truthseeker32 said:
JamesR said:
Source, please.
The Internet's butt.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
theistgal said:
biro said:
truthseeker32 said:
JamesR said:
Source, please.
The Internet's butt.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm saving that one!
You're welcome. ;)