• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Candle-Lighting Tapers

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
At church we have a taper holder.  It has this sliding lever that holds a small taper in the tube or barrel and you can extend it as it burns.  Have no idea what you call this thing but I am looking for more tapers to fill it with and would prefer to order from an Orthodox source.  I have checked various online stores at convents and monasteries.  I can probably find these at the Catholic store in town, but if anyone knows where I can find these I might send some business that way.

The tapers are roughly 1/16 in. or 3mm in diameter and about a foot or so long.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Something like these?

The right hand middle one looks almost exactly like what I am looking for.  Now to find something in the US...

(Also, if I can find one a bit less...uh...tapered...that would be nice, otherwise I can shave the end down to fit in the feeding mechanism.)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
vamrat said:
At church we have a taper holder.  It has this sliding lever that holds a small taper in the tube or barrel and you can extend it as it burns.  Have no idea what you call this thing but I am looking for more tapers to fill it with and would prefer to order from an Orthodox source.  I have checked various online stores at convents and monasteries.  I can probably find these at the Catholic store in town, but if anyone knows where I can find these I might send some business that way.

They're called lighting tapers.  It's possible that a monastery makes these, but I have yet to come across it.  The tapers Arachne suggested don't seem to me like they would work with your church's taper holder, but I could be wrong.   

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
vamrat said:

They're called lighting tapers.  It's possible that a monastery makes these, but I have yet to come across it.  The tapers Arachne suggested don't seem to me like they would work with your church's taper holder, but I could be wrong. 
That's the same box as the old ones we had (we've just been refilling it for the last year or so from my father's stockpile he got in the 1990's...which is running low now).  I might just order a box of those.  120 will last us about half a decade.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
vamrat said:
That's the same box as the old ones we had (we've just been refilling it for the last year or so from my father's stockpile he got in the 1990's...which is running low now).  I might just order a box of those.  120 will last us about half a decade.
Look around.  There are other suppliers, other manufacturers, a variety of amounts you can order (100ct, 120ct, 500ct, etc.), and so on.  I just picked that as an example. 

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
vamrat said:
Look around.  There are other suppliers, other manufacturers, a variety of amounts you can order (100ct, 120ct, 500ct, etc.), and so on.  I just picked that as an example.
No, I think those will be perfect.  I've seen that exact brand looking around and $10-20 for 5 years (not exaggerating) is not a bad investment.

PS- I googled "candle lighting tapers" before asking the question and couldn't find anything.  After checking your link, and then re-typing I started finding things.  I think Google hates me.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Emkay is the # 1 US manufacturer of these and sells through church supply retailers of all sorts, including Autom.

Longer ones are used for "acolyte wands" used by Roman Catholics and many Protestants.