• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Canonical situation with the French Orthodox Church?

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I need to study abroad to complete my double major, and initially I was thinking Japan, but I'm open to France. If I were to stay in Angers or Rouen, say, there appear to be French Orthodox Churches in that general vicinity. I'm curious what their canonical situation is, they were in communion at one point and fell out of communion. Would taking communion there be a bad idea?

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
xOrthodox4Christx said:
I need to study abroad to complete my double major, and initially I was thinking Japan, but I'm open to France. If I were to stay in Angers or Rouen, say, there appear to be French Orthodox Churches in that general vicinity. I'm curious what their canonical situation is, they were in communion at one point and fell out of communion. Would taking communion there be a bad idea?
If it were me, I would try to go to the ROCOR and MP churches in France and if there were none nearby, I would ask them the question that you are asking here.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Basically the same situation as the Lusitanian Orthodox Church: Westerners decided to build national authentic Orthodoxy from scratch, were eventually received by a canonical synod, then some inner problems arose and the synod cut the primate off, after which many followed him, although keeping the Orthodox Catholic faith. Fortunately the Brazilian Orthodox Church managed not to be thrown into this sad fate and returned to Polish omophorion.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
It's a great idea if you want to excommunicate yourself.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
xOrthodox4Christx said:
hecma925 said:
It's a great idea if you want to excommunicate yourself.
There hasn't been any dialogue to re-establish communion?
Take it up with Romania, although some parishes did go with the Serbian diocese out there.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
although keeping the Orthodox Catholic faith.
Not possible outside of the Church. We don't believe in abstract set of dogmas but in the Catholic and Apostolic Church.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Alpo said:
RaphaCam said:
although keeping the Orthodox Catholic faith.
Not possible outside of the Church. We don't believe in abstract set of dogmas but in the Catholic and Apostolic Church.
Lusitanians and probably French too think they're the same Church as us somehow, just maybe in some awkward hiatus. So in some sense they believe in the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
RaphaCam said:
Basically the same situation as the Lusitanian Orthodox Church: Westerners decided to build national authentic Orthodoxy from scratch, were eventually received by a canonical synod, then some inner problems arose and the synod cut the primate off, after which many followed him, although keeping the Orthodox Catholic faith. Fortunately the Brazilian Orthodox Church managed not to be thrown into this sad fate and returned to Polish omophorion.
The EP has a decent presence in Brazil.  I know of a good number of UOCofUSA parishes are there.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
LizaSymonenko said:
RaphaCam said:
The EP has a decent presence in Brazil.  I know of a good number of UOCofUSA parishes are there.
Yeah, it does, we have a large Ukrainian community, mostly Eastern Catholic, but some Orthodox faithful too. But I was specifically talking about Orthodox Christians under Archbishop Chrysostom of Rio and Bishop Ambrose of Recife, who are occasionally referred to as the "Brazilian Orthodox Church", but are part of the Polish Orthodox Church, which was a difficult situation to sustain after Portuguese bishops entered in schism. But we managed to do it, which could be an example to groups in similar canonical situations.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
RaphaCam said:
LizaSymonenko said:
RaphaCam said:
Yeah, it does, we have a large Ukrainian community, mostly Eastern Catholic, but some Orthodox faithful too. But I was specifically talking about Orthodox Christians under Archbishop Chrysostom of Rio and Bishop Ambrose of Recife, who are occasionally referred to as the "Brazilian Orthodox Church", but are part of the Polish Orthodox Church, which was a difficult situation to sustain after Portuguese bishops entered in schism. But we managed to do it, which could be an example to groups in similar canonical situations.
Yeah, that's good you stay with us, guys ;)
But seriosuy speaking, it's quite exceptional, that a small group, despite the fact that the majority of it has fallen apart, managed to not be vagante again.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Dominika said:
RaphaCam said:
LizaSymonenko said:
RaphaCam said:
Yeah, that's good you stay with us, guys ;)
But seriosuy speaking, it's quite exceptional, that a small group, despite the fact that the majority of it has fallen apart, managed to not be vagante again.
Glory be to God! Some parishes did a similar thing in the French schism, though. Still a very sad situation, I have a lot of sympathy for the group in Portugal and I hope they can be eventually restored. It seems Metropolitan John got his name too tarnished, though...