• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Career advice wanted

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I've been going to undergraduate classes part time since the late nineties, and it looks like I'm finally going to jump through the hoop. In august. UGH.

But soon I'll be looking for a grad. school.

I'm thinking I would like to either study theology, or medieval history. A problem with both is that I don't meet the language requirements. I need to learn Latin, French and German for medieval history, and Latin for Theology.

The nearest university that teaches Latin is 5 hours away. (Just a little bit longer than my daily commute. I could drive it, but I don't think "the Dented One" could survive it. ;D)

Where would you go if you were Roman Catholic, and you wanted to learn patristics from the Roman POV?

Where would you go if you wanted to study medieval history?

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
Where do you live?

I might be able to put you in touch with someone, or if you live too far away perhaps a fast-paced distance course if you are interested in learning the latin lingua.

If you are close to DC, Catholic University, albeit expensive, is the only university in the US to offer ecclesiastical RCC degrees. You can attain an STD there(no not sexually :) ). Not that anything else wouldn't be good, but from the research I've done(quite a bit) the number of Roman Catholic institutions that have a solid theology department are few and far between. I'd probably stick with history.

Bogoliubtsy

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Other
Jurisdiction
Other
A local state college or community college might offer an intensive summer language program. I know some in my former city(Boston) do. Or, if you live in or near a decent sized city there might be some kind of language institute near you. If you're good with languages(which I'm not), you could take some kind of intesive program and supplement this with more intense study at home and with a private tutor. Just some ideas.
I really think though that your best bet is to become Orthodox ...it seems once one becomes Orthodox, they become expert in almost EVERYTHING, practically overnight...or are some online forums deceptive? :)

prodromos

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Bogoliubtsy said:
I really think though that your best bet is to become Orthodox ...it seems once one becomes Orthodox, they become expert in almost EVERYTHING, practically overnight...or are some online forums deceptive? :)
No, no, that happens when you become a catechumen. When you become Orthodox you discover that you know nothing (nothing particularly salvific anyway) ;)

John.

Bogoliubtsy

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Other
Jurisdiction
Other
prodromos said:
Bogoliubtsy said:

Ah! Now that sounds more like it. I stand entirely corrected.
No, no, that happens when you become a catechumen. When you become Orthodox you discover that you know nothing (nothing particularly salvific anyway) ;)

John.
Ah! Now that sounds more like it. I stand entirely corrected.

prodromos

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I stand entirely corrected.
That's right! We don't have any sitting in the Orthodox church. Sitting in pews is only for those graceless hereti...

Oh, sorry. Wrong thread ;)

John.

Br Max OFC

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
IF I were going to go to a RC college, I'd pick either St Vincent’s in Latrobe PA http://www.stvincent.edu/ or the Franciscan University in Steubenville Ohio http://www.franciscan.edu/Home2/Content/main.aspx - maybe Wheeling Jesuit http://www.wju.edu/ or I’d pick Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/ or Trinity College in Dublin Ireland http://www.tcd.ie/ :) - but then I’m biased.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Roberto said:
If you are close to DC, Catholic University, albeit expensive, is the only university in the US to offer ecclesiastical RCC degrees.
Is this the only one? I thought it was just the only one to offer ecclesiastical degrees in canon law. There is a Pontifical College Josephinum somewhere West of the East Coast ( :p ), I would think they offer the same ecclesiastical degrees that you would get in Rome. Also, there is a Pontifical University in Puerto Rico, if you like PR. The other school recommendations are good.

If you want to learn Latin, and no school near you teaches it, and you can't do a distance course, perhaps you could pick up some of those self-study books and, with a good amount of discipline, teach it to yourself? You'd need to go through more than one to get the kind of proficiency you might need, I would think. I haven't done it myself, but I know people who have, and it has helped a bit. It might be something to consider while looking for actual classes somewhere that you can go to, and you might wind up a little ahead of the game once you do get to take classes.

TonyS

High Elder
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
There is a Pontifical College Josephinum somewhere West of the East Coast ( :p ), I would think they offer the same ecclesiastical degrees that you would get in Rome. Also, there is a Pontifical University in Puerto Rico, if you like PR. The other school recommendations are good.
It's in Columbus -- that's Ohio. "West of the East Coast."

http://www.pcj.edu/intro/intropage.html

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Thanks, Tony. I figure just about everything in America is "West of the East Coast for me", so I can't go wrong with that. :)

carpo-rusyn

Elder
Reaction score
Well for medieval history I'd probably go to Toronto to the Pontifical Institute. Then again what about Rome. Many of the graduate schools there take lay students. Imagine studying in the Angelicum? Wow! What about Pontifical Athenaeum Regina Apostolorum, it's run by the Legionaires of Christ and a little right of center but good education. Do you want a pontifical degree or an academic one?

I hope you let us know where you end up.

Carpo-Rusyn

Br Max OFC

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I just read about a college today in Montreal - Concordia University - where Charles Kannengiesser is a prof of theology. I'd be very interested in taking a class with him - even if it meant going amongst the FRENCH :-X Canadians.