catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Archon
Reaction score
Do I need to type out the letters of that forum being discussed ?

ps- The LA Angels of Anaheim traded their shortstop to the White Sox for pitcher John Garland...

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
danman916 said:
Michael, I am saddened at your polemical argument over here.

Many of us Roman Catholics neither fashioned ourselves as apologists, nor are we inept, as you seem to be asserting.

I am very saddened to read such bashing of Catholics over here.
Hang on, be fair!
You seem to be implying that Michael is "bashing" all Catholics on CAF. Yet Michale makes it clear in his post that he is referring to the "amateur RC apologists" who were theologically arguing with the Orthodox posters in the subforum, and not the entire Catholic "population" on CAF.

George

Hesychios

Site Supporter
Reaction score
danman916 said:
Michael, I am saddened at your polemical argument over here.

Many of us Roman Catholics neither fashioned ourselves as apologists, nor are we inept, as you seem to be asserting.

I am very saddened to read such bashing of Catholics over here.
Dear Danman,

I am sorry that I offended you. Looking once again over the post, it does sound a bit polemical (and a bit out of character for me), although that was not my intention...I suppose my emotions were showing.

I was not directing those comment at all Roman Catholics, and not at you, I have always regarded you to be a gentleman.

Nevertheless my points stand. No, not all RC regarded themselves as Apologists, but it was an apologetics website, and there was no shortage of them, whether they would call themselves by that title or not. There were indeed many RC apologists (or polemicists), coming in waves, ready to kick butt and taking names. But they were often unprepared for Orthodoxy...they were accustomed to debating Protestants. That is (I think) why so many of them were so keen on identifying Holy Orthodoxy with some kind of dissenting bunch of heretics who are phobic over authority. Those were straw arguments, setting up for an easy kill, but unsustainable.

These people did not know what they were dealing with, and had much to learn. They were also unprepared by their own resources. I think Roman Catholic apologetics benefitted considerably by the presence of the Orthodox there.

[BTW, Do you remember that discussion you and I had over the "Letter of Clement to James"? The CAF is still quoting it in their literature http://www.catholic.com/library/Origins_of_Peter_as_Pope.asp. You told me that you contacted CAF, you said...
Personally, I just want to know the truth about it. Not that the entire primacy of the Bishop of Rome hangs on this single reference, but it would be nice to know the truth either way.
and I suppose you did contact them, but CAF never made the correction.]

If I regret anything about that post early in this thread, it is that I neglected to mention all the fine people I had the pleasure of dealing with on and off for years. Roman Catholic and Orthodox alike.

Michael

danman916

Reaction score
Hesychios said:
  I am sorry that I offended you. Looking once again over the post, it does sound a bit polemical (and a bit out of character for me), although that was not my intention...I suppose my emotions were showing.
Oh, it's ok. I guess i just was being reactionary. I have been busy with work so haven't been on the boards much over the past few months, and I was shocked to see what happened last week.

Nevertheless my points stand. No, not all RC regarded themselves as Apologists, but it was an apologetics website,
true enough. There are some very good debaters there, and some that were probably there for cheap shots too.

and there was no shortage of them, whether they would call themselves by that title or not. There were indeed many RC apologists (or polemicists), coming in waves, ready to kick butt and taking names.
It is interesting that you say this. I have found that apologetics seems to be an outlet for something internal to males. It is as if apologetics is the battlefield, and they are out to conquer and defeat their foe. I saw a bit of this in myself a few years ago, I must say, and I didn't like it. Apologetics is fine, but it seems to be turned into a blood sport lately. I go to many discussion boards, and it's the same all the way around. It's probably just a result of so many people connected on the web.

But they were often unprepared for Orthodoxy...they were accustomed to debating Protestants.
I can see that because of my own background.

I think Roman Catholic apologetics benefitted considerably by the presence of the Orthodox there.
In general, I agree. I know I learned a lot from reading the posts of the many solid Orthodox posters there about what Orthodoxy believes.

BTW, Do you remember that discussion you and I had over the "Letter of Clement to James"?
Yes, I do, and I still have the PM to the administrators about it. I saw it yesterday, as I was deleting old PM's on my account. They never addressed it, nor did they respond back. How frustrating. Shouldn't we all be pursuing the truth even if it causes us to take a new perspective? I certainly think so.

If I regret anything about that post early in this thread, it is that I neglected to mention all the fine people I had the pleasure of dealing with on and off for years. Roman Catholic and Orthodox alike.
Oh, It's ok. I'm sorry I jumped on you yesterday. I was acting out of emotion. But it is a shame that so many are gone there now, because the board will suffer from the loss.

God Bless

paradoxy

Reaction score
Danman916,

I'm glad you found your way here. I hope you'll join in on the RC/EO discussion here!  :)

In Christ,
Danica

wynd

High Elder
Reaction score
For those who were not banned, do any of you still go to CAF? I've seen an increase in questions about Orthodoxy in the NCR section and I was wondering if there was even anyone around to answer them.

Athanasios

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

wynd said:
For those who were not banned, do any of you still go to CAF? I've seen an increase in questions about Orthodoxy in the NCR section and I was wondering if there was even anyone around to answer them.
Yes, quite a bit. In fact, I'm logged on to both here and there at the same time. But I don't really do any Catholic/Orthodox threads. They're too hard to find, and given where they are located, they are probably infested with Protestants and Muslims, among others.

I am doing quite a bit of posting in regards to Sacred Music right now.

brittrossiter

Reaction score
I'm not banned (yet).  I still visit periodically, but far less frequently than I used to, and I haven't posted there in ages.

I know ForeverAdam is still doing a fantastic job over there asserting the Orthodox position.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Today I have been locked out of CAF.

This is what now pops up when I try to access it.

This change will be lifted: Never

I have not contributed even one message to CAF since the Great Change which was two weeks ago. 

So asserting that "Excess mod/admin resources required to monitor acct." is simply , well, impossible to understand.  It seems a manufactured reason to get rid of me - and after TWO weeks!!  I am at a loss for words!

I've logged out of the site which now enables me to view it as a Guest.  And I see that my name still features there as a "Senior Member."  There is nothing to indicate that I have been locked out forever.

See my last post
http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=2936265&postcount=123

Fr Ambrose

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Athanasios said:
Hello,
That's not cool. Did they give you a reason for this?
Only whatever he posted up there.

Irish Hermit said:
Sad.  I wouldn't want to stay in a repressive environment, anyway (and I gather that you agree, considering you haven't posted there in quite a while).

maqhth

Reaction score
Athanasios said:
Hello,
I got locked out for the same "reason"...

It is all part and parcel of the ongoing meltdown of the CAF...

"Concealed Lockout" is now the "Answer" at Catholic "Answers" Forum...

Arsenios

maqhth

Reaction score
Irish Hermit said:

I have not contributed even one message to CAF since the Great Change which was two weeks ago. 

So asserting that "Excess mod/admin resources required to monitor acct." is simply , well, impossible to understand.  It seems a manufactured reason to get rid of me - and after TWO weeks!!  I am at a loss for words!

I've logged out of the site which now enables me to view it as a Guest.  And I see that my name still features there as a "Senior Member."  There is nothing to indicate that I have been locked out forever.

See my last post

Fr Ambrose
Father Ambrose, I am sorry it did indeed finally come to you too...

And you, like the rest of us, are still listed as active and senior posters, as CAF continues its shameful cover-up of its shameful deeds...

Do you think they are now reading your PM's??

Arsenios

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Athanasios said:
Hello,
Yes, I now have an e-mail from Therese Martin who is the Super Moderator.  She says that CAF does not have the resources to monitor my posts and so she has made a decision to lock me out.

Considering that I have not sent one message for the last two weeks I have to wonder if their resources are now minimal.  :(

brittrossiter

Reaction score
maqhth said:
Father Ambrose, I am sorry it did indeed finally come to you too...

And you, like the rest of us, are still listed as active and senior posters, as CAF continues its shameful cover-up of its shameful deeds...

Do you think they are now reading your PM's??

Arsenios
That would sadden me, but it wouldn't surprise me, and would be consistent with the mods' other recent actions.  It might also explain the two week lag between Father's last post and his ticket getting yanked. 

I do note that there is nothing posted in the CAF TOS (at least nothing that I've been able to find) that discloses that CAF can/will/intends to read users' private messages.  If they've reserved that right for themselves, then it's buried deeply somewhere in the boilerplate. 

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
What bothers me the most about this is the "locking out" of people by CAF.
Even the Innkeeper who had "no room at the inn" offered the Holy Family the stable with the animals.
Rather than lock people out, couldn't CAF simply restrict Orthodox posters to the "stable" (i.e., the forum "Non-Catholic Religions")?

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
cleveland said:
...Not everyone bashes Catholics here - but y'all are in the minority, for sure.  Again, it is natural for some of the former CAF folks to be more critical than they would normally be, considering the circumstances of their departure. ...
The word is "expulsion."  Or is it "purge?"

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
wynd said:
I go from time to time.  I won't post on the ECath forum, but as I stated above, I made a recent exception.

Btw, some have asked me if I avoided the forum because of my recent moderation.  No, I've just come back from a convention: the post was right before I left.  (The convention gave me a chance to enjoy Veniamin and TinaC's home parish hospitality. Btw, if you have the chance to go to San Antonio, take it.  Remember the Alamo!).  It's just been a lack of time and opportunity recently to post.

I post sometimes in the NCR, but it wastes a lot of time to find interesting threads, so I spend it more profitably here.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
What bothers me the most about this is the "locking out" of people by CAF.
I am bothered by the fact that those who know of my expulsion, the Catholics and Orthodox who read of it here, will not dare to mention it on CAF.  I have been friends with many of them for 3 years on CAF but the fear of being locked out themselves will prevent their mentioning what has happened to me.

Reaction score
Website
gavaisky.blogpost.com
Dear friends in Christ,

This is Adrian, who posts under The Augustinian.  I am dismayed to hear that my fellow Orthodox have been treated in such a harsh way.  I almost feel like getting myself banned as well for solidarity's sake.  Perhaps I'll post my letter to the archbishop renouncing my Roman Catholic errors.  ;)

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
If they are monitoring PM's I am in trouble.  :-\ There was a man on there that asked me SPECIFICALLY to give him more information about Eastern Orthodoxy. I didn't give him info on the thread in which he asked for it. But I did PM him a link to this site. I told him I know enough to really love EO but not enough to answer his questions, and directed him here.

I would be glad to go down in flames of glory for you Father Ambrose.  :laugh: I can mention it if you like. Although of all the posters on there I rarely ever had anyone pay any attention to me, so it is quite possible they won't even notice. ::)

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Quinault said:
I would be glad to go down in flames of glory for you Father Ambrose.  :laugh: I can mention it if you like.

Much appreciated but you are more valuable on CAF, correcting some of the many mistaken ideas about Orthodoxy and giving them a better view of us.

Papa Gregorio

Reaction score
Perhaps we might now all be convinced that this latest episode in the litany of shameful and draconian crackdowns most probably amounts to a concerted effort to snuff out Orthodox criticism of Roman Catholicism on the CAF.

A grand shame on CA.    

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Irish Hermit said:
I am bothered by the fact that those who know of my expulsion, the Catholics and Orthodox who read of it here, will not dare to mention it on CAF.  I have been friends with many of them for 3 years on CAF but the fear of being locked out themselves will prevent their mentioning what has happened to me.
Father Ambrose ;on Byzantine catholic forum ,i mentioned you and all the other orthodox posters being banned ,,hope you don't mind ....stashko  ... there im sighed in as stanislav....Blagoslovi Oche  ...

Alexius

Reaction score
Between US and Poland, but my heart is in Russia..
Irish Hermit said:
I'm sorry to hear that, I'm sure they didn't mean to offend you or anyone else; perhaps they were banned, too ;)--I have mentioned my disappointment to them several times, though, but I don't think they are going to change their minds...many of us on CAF have, in fact, expressed our opinions to them several times and seem to keep getting the same answers...:(

Paradosis

Reaction score
Irish Hermit said:

See my last post

Fr Ambrose
I'm sorry to hear about this, Father.  After finding this out, I hardly have the desire to even visit CAF anymore.   

Apotheoun

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Irish Hermit said:
Yes, I now have an e-mail from Therese Martin who is the Super Moderator.  She says that CAF does not have the resources to monitor my posts and so she has made a decision to lock me out.

Considering that I have not sent one message for the last two weeks I have to wonder if their resources are now minimal.  :(
Sorry to hear about your expulsion from CAF, but you are not missing much, because the new Eastern Catholicism forum is not all that interesting.  In fact, the new forum seems to be designed in order to block out the Eastern Orthodox posters completely, while simultaneously controlling the Eastern Catholics.

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
wynd said:
I've been posting in the EC forum, significantly more than I have in the past year - chiefly to try and provide accurate answers to queries, since the place is essentially bereft of knowledgeable ECs and EOs at present, other than Anhelyna/wannabe and Michael/Hesychios - who have been contributing sporadically, and Woodstock - who has been posting a bit more frequently, and a couple of posts by Rony/ronyodish. I saw a single post by Al/a pilgrim, but I know that his work/travel schedule prevents him from contributing very often. I've seen no sign of Marduk/mardukm or Ghosty. As to the EO threads in the Non-Catholic Religions forum, they are few and far between and require a lot of hunting.

I haven't spent much time there these last two days because the Churches/Rites thread that George asked if I'd create has been occupying a lot of my time (chiefly because of the time required for formatting - I had the text exc for the need to do a few updates). I'd have cut and pasted some of it from my version that Joe made into a Reference Thread at CAF (formatting was essentially the same as here, as opposed to the copy at ByzCath, which differed somewhat in coding), but I see that Joe's Reference Thread collection has disappeared in its entirety. [Before I give the Admins or Mods here any heartburn about copyright issues, the text - which I've posted most everywhere on the web at one time or another - I know there's an old copy here somewhere from the days when Dustin, Phil, and Robert were essentially the entire admin/mod group - is never identical. With each posting, I've edited, deleted, updated, modified. I suspect Michael can verify that, he's probably read every version there is or ever has been  ;D ]

Bless Father,

I cannot believe that your keyboard has finally proven too much for CAF's resources  :eek:  to handle - Joe always managed quite well, as I recollect.

Many years,

Neil

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
Unbelievable people over there. Sure, I was "banned". Never being comfortable over there, anyway, it's no big deal. I made one post there to test what was being described here. But the gall of those folks to keep spamming my email (no matter that I've unsubscribed and they they've disappeared me) is astounding.

Guess they don't read the "Reason for de-subscription".

paradoxy

Reaction score
Irish Hermit said:
Dear Fr Ambrose, bless,

I must admit I've only heard rumors until I read today in your post here that they locked you out. I don't like spreading rumors, but now that I know this to be a fact, and not being able to do anything worthwhile myself on CAF owing to my ignorance (I try at times...), I'm going to post this on both EC and NCR boards. I'll include a link to your post here, unless you tell me you'd mind that in the next 24hrs or so (I'm not sure about those time differences between Serbia and New Zealand). 

In Christ,
Danica in Serbia

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
paradoxy said:
Dear Fr Ambrose, bless,

I must admit I've only heard rumors until I read today in your post here that they locked you out. I don't like spreading rumors, but now that I know this to be a fact, and not being able to do anything worthwhile myself on CAF owing to my ignorance (I try at times...), I'm going to post this on both EC and NCR boards. I'll include a link to your post here, unless you tell me you'd mind that in the next 24hrs or so (I'm not sure about those time differences between Serbia and New Zealand). 

In Christ,
Danica in Serbia
Danica,

Just be aware that the post will only last until it's noticed - it and your membership will disappear simultaneously.

Many years,

Neil

paradoxy

Reaction score
Irish Melkite said:
Danica,

Just be aware that the post will only last until it's noticed - it and your membership will disappear simultaneously.

Many years,

Neil
Of course I'm aware of that, but thank you  :) - I plan on starting eye-catching threads in at least 2-3 boards simultaneously.  ;)

Do you know what the best time for that would be (as in: members active, moderators sleeping  ;D)? I'm in the GMT+1 time zone.

Thank you!

In Christ,
Danica

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
paradoxy said:
Dear Fr Ambrose, bless,

In Christ,
Danica in Serbia
Danica, draga sestra, neka Bog te blagoslovi za ovaj predlog ali...

You are probably a better witness to holy Orthodoxy by staying there and helping to present a good and accurate picture of our faith.

Time difference.  New Zealand is on summer time right now.  We are exactly 12 hours ahead of you in Serbia.

paradoxy

Reaction score
Irish Hermit said:
Danica, draga sestra, neka Bog te blagoslovi za ovaj predlog ali...

You are probably a better witness to holy Orthodoxy by staying there and helping to present a good and accurate picture of our faith.
Dear Father, bless,

Respectfully, I disagree. I have little to offer and Forever Adam is doing a great job there now - he's very balanced, charitable, and informed. I'm just a young woman who's into literature and all I've ever said on CAF was how some things about Orthodoxy have made me personally FEEL...  ::) not very helpful. Besides, I'm sorta partial to Catholics and can't bring myself to tell them there might be something wrong about the RCC... even when I believe it  :-\

So, I'll just take it you have nothing against me sending a link to your post here in the posts I plan on sending (it's public anyway, I just wanted to make sure and now I'm sure)!

In Christ,
Danica

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
paradoxy said:
Dear Father, bless,

Respectfully, I disagree. I have little to offer and Forever Adam is doing a great job there now - he's very balanced, charitable, and informed. I'm just a young woman who's into literature and all I've ever said on CAF was how some things about Orthodoxy have made me personally FEEL...  ::) not very helpful. Besides, I'm sorta partial to Catholics and can't bring myself to tell them there might be something wrong about the RCC... even when I believe it  :-\

So, I'll just take it you have nothing against me sending a link to your post here in the posts I plan on sending (it's public anyway, I just wanted to make sure and now I'm sure)!

In Christ,
Danica
I know you will think that I should be wearing a tinfoil hat for saying this, but isn't is possible that Fr. Ambrose was locked out of CAF, not because of something he wrote there, but for what he has been saying here? The moderators of CAF could be reading this thread and locking people out because of what they say here, in which case, this post of yours has just removed any element of surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.