catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heracleides

Elder
Reaction score
the slave said:
They list 13 Mods

BUT - I wonder just how many they do actually have :)
Perhaps you should strive for consistency and refrain from asking such questions...  ;)

On the Byzantine forum, in relation to this matter, you said:

Frankly I do not think we should be discussing what CAF have done with some of the members there.

Surely it's an Internal matter and no business of ours ?
Source: Link Disabled

Will everyone please read this thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13455.0.html

Actions not tolerated on this site include:

3) Posting of links to any webfora. 
Fr. Chris' renowned Irish temper with Greek influences is beginnning to be awakened. It would be best for all involved to review the linked thread on this website.

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
brittrossiter said:
I made a PDF print of paradoxy's posting at CAF and will gladly share it with anyone who wants a copy.
Can you scan the pages?
You can them load them to a free image server like www.imageshack.us

the slave

High Elder
Reaction score
Heracleides said:
Perhaps you should strive for consistency and refrain from asking such questions...  ;)

Agreed - but I had just got so irritated that I really felt I had to say something

And when they started removing my threads on CAF - well that was the last straw

Let's face it - none of us are perfect

[edit] I've gone back and looked at my posts . I have not criticised the bannings on any grounds  other than the way they were made - the fact they were not obvious to any members of CAF . I don't know of any members of CAF in the past who have not been 'labelled ' on their posts which stand ,  as Banned . I have not criticised the reasons for which these posters were banned.

I can understand bannings which are made within a short timespan of a post - but some of these bannings were made a ridiculous length of time from the poster's previous post .

I have bemoaned the loss of many valuable threads and items of information [/edit]

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Oh my! I go to bed and you all form a resistance. Great going paradoxy! Your posts were QUITE valuable to me on CAF, don't discount yourself. I hope to see many more here.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
Except Global Moderators.
Amen!

Quinault said:
Oh my! I go to bed and you all form a resistance. Great going paradoxy! Your posts were QUITE valuable to me on CAF, don't discount yourself. I hope to see many more here. 
Y'all keep watching Star Wars and dreaming big... and the Empire will fall!

Seriously, folks, I'm glad you're trying to force them to be honest with their members.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, and that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, among them life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..."

paradoxy

Reaction score
My CAF account now says this:

Your account has been locked for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

This change will be lifted: Never
Gotta love the style!  ;D

EDIT: to be fair, they now do give a reason - 'publicly discussing moderator actions'

Quinault, thank you so much for your kind words!  :)

Paradosis

Reaction score
paradoxy said:
My CAF account now says this:

Gotta love the style!  ;D

Quinault, thank you so much for your kind words!  :)
Sorry to have missed the action.  I was asleep when all this transpired. ;D I admire your action, paradoxy.  I'll miss seeing you on CAF, but the truth did need to get out.  Pray for me and any other Orthodox who are still trying to defend the Faith in the ever-increasing hostile environment of CAF. 

God bless,

Adam 

brittrossiter

Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
Can you scan the pages?
You can them load them to a free image server like www.imageshack.us
I can try to do that when I return from work today.

We'll see if anyone from CAF is monitoring this - I haven't posted on CAF in ages.  If I get banned, it will be because they're monitoring this forum.  ;D

Ziggernaut

Reaction score
Never a dull moment at CAF, eh?  :eek:

I just used their "Contact Us" feature and sent the following:
Glory to Jesus Christ!

Dear Forum Admin folks,

As part of the clearing out of "offending" Orthodox Christians from CAF, my account was permanently locked, with, apparently, no opportunity for appeal.  That is fine--it's your web site and you may obviously do with it what you please.  I understand, however, that you are still showing me and others whose accounts have also been locked as active posters, showing us as junior, regular, senior members or whatever.  Is this not just a little bit disingenuous and intellectually dishonest?  If we have been, in effect banned, why not show us as such?  You could at least indicate that our accounts have been permanently locked and that we are completely unable to participate on your forum except to read posts as "guests".  Would that be problematic?  By showing us as active posters you are completely misleading all your other posters.  Does that not concern you?  Even a little bit?

I very much look forward to hearing from you with your response.

Happy Thanksgiving!

In Christ,
Jeff  ("Ziggernaut")

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they say in reply.  I'll let you know.

God Bless, and a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to all!
Jeff

paradoxy

Reaction score
Paradosis said:
Sorry to have missed the action.  I was asleep when all this transpired. ;D I admire your action, paradoxy.  I'll miss seeing you on CAF, but the truth did need to get out.  Pray for me and any other Orthodox who are still trying to defend the Faith in the ever-increasing hostile environment of CAF. 

God bless,

Adam 
You're ForeverAdam? Just keep it up there at CAF! You're doing a great job! I'll pray for you!

Danica

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
brittrossiter said:
We'll see if anyone from CAF is monitoring this - I haven't posted on CAF in ages.  If I get banned, it will be because they're monitoring this forum.  ;D 
Maybe if they didn't spend time monitoring this thread, they'd have enough "resources" to keep up with the Orthodox members!  :D

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Athanasios said:
Hello,
Yes, quite a bit. In fact, I'm logged on to both here and there at the same time. But I don't really do any Catholic/Orthodox threads. They're too hard to find, and given where they are located, they are probably infested with Protestants and Muslims, among others.

I am doing quite a bit of posting in regards to Sacred Music right now.
I am banned but I can still read it through a back door but I cant post.
Some of the old RC debaters are reposting old questions knowing they wont get the fight they used to get. Pretty much they are just answering the questions themselves and dancing on our grave. 

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
One thing that can be done if people really wanted to, is that we could write a statement and post it on a web page. I think aol gives some free space to members or find something similar or cheap.

The folks that have not been banned could then PM or post the address( if they are brave) so folks could read it.

We would get the last word.

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Heracleides said:
Perhaps you should strive for consistency and refrain from asking such questions...  ;)

Brother Heracleides :Your Good i don;t know how to post a link from there to here...i need your help their ..your education level is way up there...stashko

wynd

High Elder
Reaction score
brittrossiter said:
I made a PDF print of paradoxy's posting at CAF and will gladly share it with anyone who wants a copy.
I'd like to read this. Can you post it or send it to me?

paradoxy

Reaction score
This is the long-awaited public explanation for the secret bans:

Link Disabled

The article on the reasons why members are banned has been copied into the thread above by Catherine Grant. All that I can add to it is this:
CAF does not discuss with third parties the cases of individual members out of respect for their privacy. If they wish to make known their case, that is their privilege; we only ask that you keep in mind that there are two sides to every story. Because we choose not to violate privacy, all you likely will hear in such instances is what the member chooses to make public, which likely will be only pieces of the story and only those pieces that reflect well on the individual.
When banning individuals, CAF has a choice: We can give a banned member a tag that makes public that he has been banned; or we can ban him privately so that a public stir is not created and so that he can retain the dignity of appearing to have stopped participating of his own volition. With members of longstanding, CAF staff often choose the latter option. The downside to this is that the member can then make it appear that CAF is engaged in covert behavior against him, but we feel that the positives often outweigh the negative.
If you have any questions or concerns about specific mod/admin actions, we ask you to please contact a mod privately by PM or write to the administration staff at forumadmin@catholic.com. Although we cannot discuss individual cases with you, we would be happy to explain general protocol.
Is it just me, or is this meant to be even more insulting and infuriating? This reads: Fr Ambrose and other long-standing Orthodox posters have indeed committed serious offenses, but CAF has charitably allowed them to keep up appearances for the sake of their dignity!?

So, Father Ambrose and others, 'fess up: what have you really done to deserve the ban?   ;D  ::)

the slave

High Elder
Reaction score
Apotheoun said:
The new forum is not about Eastern Catholicism at all; instead, it is about Roman Catholics forcing Eastern Catholics to accept Latinized theology.
Hear ! Hear !!

the slave

High Elder
Reaction score
Please Note - there is still nothing about the return of all the threads that were archived . Nor was there any indication that  a 2 week gap - when a poster could have posted , was an inappropriate delay before a banning was imposed.

My concerns , that I posted publicly there, about the missing threads and info, was not answered

The administration will respond to your concerns today. Please do not post any new threads on this topic.

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
The reason a few links were disabled in posts above was because there is a general policy against linking to other web forums. The reason for this was to keep people from plugging other competing forums which used to happen here a lot. Reading over the threads above, some of these links were clearly for reference purposes and not to advertise. We are sorry if your reference was removed hastily but please do limit posting links to other forums. We also don't want to be a place where people feel free to trash other forums, although we understand the current need of the members from CAF to vent.

paradoxy

Reaction score
Anastasios said:
The reason a few links were disabled in posts above was because there is a general policy against linking to other web forums. The reason for this was to keep people from plugging other competing forums which used to happen here a lot. Reading over the threads above, some of these links were clearly for reference purposes and not to advertise. We are sorry if your reference was removed hastily but please do limit posting links to other forums. We also don't want to be a place where people feel free to trash other forums, although we understand the current need of the members from CAF to vent.
Understood. Sorry, we're new and obviously didn't bother to study those forum rules.  :-[.

Obviously, the only reason we're 'trashing' the other forum here, 'behind their backs', is that we're not physically permitted to discuss this there openly and honestly. I'm clarifying this because I generally feel horrible about talking badly about someone behind their backs (but they turned their backs to us, so it's not like we enjoy gossiping just for the heck of it...) Whatever...  :-\

Athanasios

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

paradoxy said:
So, Father Ambrose and others, 'fess up: what have you really done to deserve the ban?  ;D  ::)
Father Ambrose (and many others) many times went beyond simple information exchange to the realms that emotions often take us. We were all guilty of it at one time or another - and it is technically against their forum rules. But, that is exactly the type of dialogue that formed us into a type of family. No family is without is arguments and quarrels, but we all respected each other.

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
paradoxy said:
Understood. Sorry, we're new and obviously didn't bother to study those forum rules.  :-[.

Obviously, the only reason we're 'trashing' the other forum here, 'behind their backs', is that we're not physically permitted to discuss this there openly and honestly. I'm clarifying this because I generally feel horrible about talking badly about someone behind their backs (but they turned their backs to us, so it's not like we enjoy gossiping just for the heck of it...) Whatever...  :-\
Well like I said, we understand your feelings. I myself and a few other posters were once banned from a similar (although much smaller) Catholic forum once, without at least in my case my having broken any rules. That made me quite sad.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Athanasios said:
Father Ambrose ....... many times went beyond simple information exchange to the realms that emotions often take us.
Dear Athanasios,

I would not agree that that was a characteristic of my posting style.  My emotions are usually under control. 

Of course I made curt comments about people who persisted in pretending to know more about Orthodoxy than they do, such as a renowned apologist who maintains that "final theosis" is the Orthodox equivalent of purgatory.

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Irish Hermit said:
Dear Athanasios,

I would not agree that that was a characteristic of my posting style.  My emotions are usually under control. 

Of course I made curt comments about people who persisted in pretending to know more about Orthodoxy than they do, such as a renowned apologist who maintains that "final theosis" is the Orthodox equivalent of purgatory.
Father;
I wish i knew more orthodoxTheology and the Holy Fathers ,i would give them a good run for there money , the R C.at the byzatine forum......at least our eastern catholic brothers/and sisters know about the injustice......stashko

Athanasios

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

Irish Hermit said:
Dear Athanasios,

I guess I used you particularly to describe generally. I'm sorry if I mischaracterized you. Of course, sometimes others may take posts to mean something they aren't intended to mean (i.e., curt comment as an all-out assault). You must admit that a wide assortment of smilies can help to ease such situations.  ;D

P.S. - what do you mean "final theosis" is NOT the Orthodox equivalent of Purgatory.  ;D ;D ;D

maqhth

Reaction score
Athanasios said:
Father Ambrose ... many times went beyond simple information exchange...
Do you really think, Athanasios, that "simple information exchange" is even desirable, when the salvation of souls is at stake?  Have you ever read an anathema?  Does it sound at all like a "simple information exchange"???

Arsenios

ps - Final Theosis is not an Orthodox term...

It is an oxymoron used by an RC poster on CAF...

Papa Gregorio

Reaction score
Fr. Ambrose, in solidarity with you I am cancelling my CAF account with this public notice that expresses my sentiments:

Following what is now a discernibly concerted effort to muster up any excuse possible to purge this Forum of the most educated yet charitable and benevolent Orthodox Catholic critics of Roman Catholicism - the latest incident being the banning of Fr. Ambrose - deemed as "thorns in the side" of administrators who are keen on leaving as little trace as possible of their shamefully repressive actions, I am canceling my account as a mark of protest, no longer willing to associate with an entity showing itself to be hostile to the principles of free and open discussion to which both Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches are committed in their ecumenical endeavours for rapprochement. It is difficult to comprehend the motives behind the most recent addition to the growing list of banned Orthodox participants, however all of us know that Fr. Ambrose never showed the least sign of unruliness, always adhered to forum rules and engaged his critics with charity and honesty. It is no coincidence, I believe, that a change in direction to reflect the more pervasive authoritarian nature of the Roman Catholic lay internet apologetics movement necessitated the departure of the esteemed former moderator of the now defunct Eastern Christianity forum, under whom vigorous dialogue and civil criticism was always tolerated, in order that these severe actions could be exercised. "Catholic Answers", in addition to presenting misleading, incorrect and unhistorical information on the Orthodox Church and Church History in their tracts, cannot be considered a helpful agent in this process of dialogue and rapprochement.

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
Papa Gregorio said:
Fr. Ambrose, in solidarity with you I am cancelling my CAF account with this public notice that expresses my sentiments:

Following what is now a discernibly concerted effort to muster up any excuse possible to purge this Forum of the most educated yet charitable and benevolent Orthodox Catholic critics of Roman Catholicism - the latest incident being the banning of Fr. Ambrose - deemed as "thorns in the side" of administrators who are keen on leaving as little trace as possible of their shamefully repressive actions, I am canceling my account as a mark of protest, no longer willing to associate with an entity showing itself to be hostile to the principles of free and open discussion to which both Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches are committed in their ecumenical endeavours for rapprochement. It is difficult to comprehend the motives behind the most recent addition to the growing list of banned Orthodox participants, however all of us know that Fr. Ambrose never showed the least sign of unruliness, always adhered to forum rules and engaged his critics with charity and honesty. It is no coincidence, I believe, that a change in direction to reflect the more pervasive authoritarian nature of the Roman Catholic lay internet apologetics movement necessitated the departure of the esteemed former moderator of the now defunct Eastern Christianity forum, under whom vigorous dialogue and civil criticism was always tolerated, in order that these severe actions could be exercised. "Catholic Answers", in addition to presenting misleading, incorrect and unhistorical information on the Orthodox Church and Church History in their tracts, cannot be considered a helpful agent in this process of dialogue and rapprochement.
They still don't get it!
One response to your post reads:
"I just checked the Member List and I show he is not banned as you say he was.

Alexius

Reaction score
Between US and Poland, but my heart is in Russia..
Irish Hermit said:
Dear Athanasios,

I was under the impression that this unnamed individual held that those in heaven were experiencing the final theosis, which is not possible since theosis nevers ends...nevermind that--It is rediculous what happened on CAF!

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
Alexius said:
Kind of like those who deny the Holocaust? :-\ :'( :eek:
Come now! Surely you are not suggesting that this is exactly like the Nazis who got rid of people and then attempted to destroy any evidence of their crime? ;)

Well, surprise surprise! CAF has taken down Papa Gregorio's post as well.
Here are some snapshots for old time's sake:

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
ozgeorge said:
Come now! Surely you are not suggesting that this is exactly like the Nazis who got rid of people and then attempted to destroy any evidence of their crime? ;)

Well, surprise surprise! CAF has taken down Papa Gregorio's post as well.
Here are some snapshots for old time's sake:
Wait, I was just reading Papa Gregorio's post a few hours ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.