catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Irish Melkite said:
And I believe that you and I previously discussed, in the open fora there, the erroneous statement on one of the site's library pages that the EP and the Pope concelebrated at St Peter's - an error that I (and I believe also you) called to their attention via PM, receiving assurance that it would be corrected. Last I looked, not long ago, the misinformation was still there - and it's been a long time (couple of years) since the exchange.
Still there...

" ...and in 1995, Pope John Paul II and Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople concelebrated the Eucharist together."

Reference: Eastern Orthodoxy
catholic.com/library/eastern_orthodoxy.asp

One wonders at the level of knowledge of the authors of these articles.  Anybody with even a limited knowledge of the East would know that the sky would have fallen in if the Patriarch concelebrated the Eucharist with the Pope.  He would have been repudiated by 99% of the Orthodox world and the monks of Athos would have written 12 tomes anathematizing him.

PS to our Mod:  I still haven't grasped the rules about links.  On CAF it was always expected that we would back up a statement like the above with a relevant link.  Is that OK here?

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
Irish Hermit said:
PS to our Mod:  I still haven't grasped the rules about links.  On CAF it was always expected that we would back up a statement like the above with a relevant link.  Is that OK here?
It's links to forums which are problematic. See http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13455.msg186146.html#msg186146 especially No.3.
Since the direct link you provided links to Catholic Answers which has a forum, it starts getting a bit "iffy", so I suggest you disable your link as I have described earlier. This is a temporary solution I've come up with, and I'm still discussing with Fr. Chris to determine whether this disabling of links is acceptable. As you can appreciate, our American friends are currently celebrating Thanksgiving, so I don't expect an answer soon!

But I have a more important question for you Fr. Ambrose:
Do you play chess?

paradoxy

Reaction score
Magicsilence said:
At first, I was inclined to sympathize with the Orthodox following the recent moves, but many posts, including this one, have caused me to have doubts about whether the moderators have acted unfairly.

If you can't realise that the moderators are, at the end of the day, only people, who are trying to grow closer to God and His Son, and can only mock them from a distance, it only confirms their actions against you.

In Jesus Christ,
Dear Magicsilence,  :)

Thank you for the reminder. We shouldn't forget to pray for all involved and not take any of this personally, while speaking up against what we see as unjust, uncalled-for and... well... sneaky actions.

I wish we weren't gossiping from a distance. I wish we were given a chance to publicly, openly and honestly discuss this with CAF mods. But we are unable to.

And, FWIW, I can only see Papa Gregorio's post as innocently jocular.

God bless you!  :) 

prodromos

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Irish Melkite said:
Bless Father,

They are unlikely to make any changes. Intransigence is rampant there.

You may recollect our early shared experience there, when we both took exception to Karl Keating's statement that the Holy Fire was the product of a Zippo lighter - a thread that fast disappeared when many took umbrage to his statement. As I recollect, no retraction, apology, etc was forthcoming; rather. the elder Irish-Serb-Russian-Kiwi hieromonk and the only slightly younger Irish-Melkite-Bostonian both got the boot for a period of about 30 days each for pursuing the issue - technically, I think, for "questionning moderator action on the open fora"  :eek:
I remember responding to Mr Keating's post in a manner which would have allowed him to retract without losing face. Instead the thread disappeared, though he did off handedly admit to not being infallible before that happened in response to another Catholic poster's apparent belief in his inability to post anything incorrect.  :laugh:

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
prodromos said:
I remember responding to Mr Keating's post in a manner which would have allowed him to retract without losing face. Instead the thread disappeared, though he did off handedly admit to not being infallible before that happened in response to another Catholic poster's apparent belief in his inability to post anything incorrect.  :laugh:
rotfl - I remember that John

Apotheoun

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Magicsilence said:
If you can't realise that the moderators are, at the end of the day, only people, who are trying to grow closer to God and His Son, and can only mock them from a distance, it only confirms their actions against you.
One does not grow closer to God by being dishonest.  Those who are banned should be marked as such.

maqhth

Reaction score
Apotheoun said:
One does not grow closer to God by being dishonest.  Those who are banned should be marked as such.
I at least rechly deserved banning, but was only "suspended" with a fixed and specific and guaranteed time named for the lifting of that suspension:

"NEVER"

And my claim for the banning award was my penchant, after trouncing some RC inanity, for using the triumphal expression, at the end of my postings, which said:

Quid...
Erat...
Splat...

Which is certainly a less than completely charitable closure to a post of refutation...

Arsenios

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
maqhth said:
I at least rechly deserved banning, but was only "suspended" with a fixed and specific and guaranteed time named for the lifting of that suspension:

"NEVER"

And my claim for the banning award was my penchant, after trouncing some RC inanity, for using the triumphal expression, at the end of my postings, which said:

Quid...
Erat...
Splat...

Which is certainly a less than completely charitable closure to a post of refutation...

Arsenios
I was banned after an RCC poster baited me by saying "You arent questioning the motives of the moderators, are you?"

I had to answer yes ...as a point of honor.
--------------
"If you dont surrender and put down your weapons, our arrows will block out the sun !"

"Good...................Then we shall fight in the shade"

Leonides,
King of the Spartans

maqhth

Reaction score
Magicsilence said:

If you can't realize that the moderators are,
at the end of the day, only people,
who are trying to grow closer to God and His Son,
and can only mock them from a distance,
it only confirms their actions against you.
So MS, are you one of those making this same accusation, except on its flip side, against the Orthodox for their FAILURE TO POST on the new Eastern Forum in defense of themselves???

I mean, exactly where would you like us to draw attention to the dark and evil deeds being committed on CAF, such that we can HELP the evildoers draw closer to God, and NOT confirm their evil actions against us???

I mean, have YOU admonished them to be truthful and open, and thus repent from their ways?

Arsenios

maqhth

Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
--------------
"If you dont surrender and put down your weapons, our arrows will block out the sun !"

"Good...................Then we shall fight in the shade"

Leonides,
King of the Spartans
The Spartans had great quotes...  When Athens had them surrounded, out manned, and blocaded with ships, and were demanding their surrender, or be invaded, the Athenians said to them: "And when we invade, because or your obstinence in your failure to surrender, if we prevail, we will kill every last man of you over the age of 10, and we will enslave and sell to the barbarians all your women and children and old people, and utterly destroy your towns and cities...

And the spartan commander answered with one word:

"EI"

[IF]

And Athens invaded, and lost the war...

Arsenios

Magicsilence

Reaction score
maqhth said:
So MS, are you one of those making this same accusation, except on its flip side, against the Orthodox for their FAILURE TO POST on the new Eastern Forum in defense of themselves???
No.

I mean, exactly where would you like us to draw attention to the dark and evil deeds being committed on CAF, such that we can HELP the evildoers draw closer to God, and NOT confirm their evil actions against us???
You may say whatever you like, wherever you like, but my initial sympathies with the Orthodox are quickly waning as a direct result of posts like this one, and the tone they take.

I mean, have YOU admonished them to be truthful and open, and thus repent from their ways?

Arsenios
I have spoken with them, yes. But, I am still undecided as to whether there exists something from which to repent.

In Jesus Christ,

the slave

High Elder
Reaction score
Yes at times things could get very hmmmmm looking for the word I want  mmmmmmm interesting ? Spirited ? :eek: ::)

However taking action 2 weeks after someone has last posted is just NOT ON.

That is my main growse

To me there is a degree of injustice , even spitefulness.

The labels are still not there - oh except on other folk in other fora :(

Alexius

Reaction score
Between US and Poland, but my heart is in Russia..
I have to say that there were some issues of charity from both sides. From having witnessed hundreds of discussions on CAF, though, the same amount of issues present themselves within all the other forum areas...That said, I think the amount of resistance from both sides added to the decision to do away with "foreign invaders." That degree of resistance was not present within the non-Catholic area. What troubles me is that within the non-Catholic section, the treatment of Muslim posters (with exceptions) is worse than any I had ever seen in the EC sub-forum...

Athanasios

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

maqhth said:
Do you really think, Athanasios, that "simple information exchange" is even desirable, when the salvation of souls is at stake?  Have you ever read an anathema?  Does it sound at all like a "simple information exchange"???

Arsenios
Under that phrase (maybe not the best word usage available) I put the explanations of the faith and reasons why they are correct and other viewpoints are incorrect. Remember, only the Holy Spirit can convert a soul - ours is not to convert, but to converse.  ;)

P.S. - I don't know about you, but I lack the authority to issue an anathema. ;D

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Alexius said:
I have to say that there were some issues of charity from both sides. From having witnessed hundreds of discussions on CAF, though, the same amount of issues present themselves within all the other forum areas...That said, I think the amount of resistance from both sides added to the decision to do away with "foreign invaders." That degree of resistance was not present within the non-Catholic area. What troubles me is that within the non-Catholic section, the treatment of Muslim posters (with exceptions) is worse than any I had ever seen in the EC sub-forum...
What do you mean "worse" with the Muslim posters?

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Alexius said:
Thats so true ..the moderators very rarely intervened if at all in the R.C. moslem discussions .They let the Catholic posters have afield day insulting the prophet of islam also in the mormon /R.C. discussions ..i actually complained to the moderators about that once nothing was done about it ...what iv noticed, if the some of the catholics are losing a debate they turn to insults....yesterday there was a discussion by a very educated evangelical protestant about the pope his office his succession not of peter but of paul and the imaculate conception of mary ,this guy was so good to point the error from scripture and the early church fathers very cool and calmly that scripture and the holy fathers proved that there wasn't anything as a pope or a pope with supreme powers and that mother mary was born like you and i ...he was so good only one catholic or two tryed to debate with him the other catholics were insulting him ...i tryed looking for his post over there today i can't find it ;;they must of removed it.........stashko

Alexius

Reaction score
ialmisry said:
What do you mean "worse" with the Muslim posters?
I mean that the Muslim posters are treated poorly. At least in the EC forum, people still respected one another and there were fewer snide remarks and baseless attacks. Everyone seemed to have a close relationship despite disagreements and were willing to discuss...One may disagree with Islamic teachings, but to blindly and carelessly curse their prophet and uncharitably call Islam a religion of terror that rejects God is both rude and ungodly. I can't imagine wanting to be a Christian after being attacked the way some have been. I know for a fact that many Muslims on Islamic forums are reluctant to post on CAF because they know how unfairly others have been treated.

Alexius

Reaction score
stashko said:
Thats so true ..the moderators very rarely intervened if at all in the R.C. moslem discussions .They let the Catholic posters have afield day insulting the prophet of islam also in the mormon /R.C. discussions ..i actually complained to the moderators about that once nothing was done about it ...what iv noticed, if the some of the catholics are losing a debate they turn to insults....yesterday there was a discussion by a very educated evangelical protestant about the pope his office his succession not of peter but of paul and the imaculate conception of mary ,this guy was so good to point the error from scripture and the early church fathers very cool and calmly that scripture and the holy fathers proved that there wasn't anything as a pope or a pope with supreme powers and that mother mary was born like you and i ...he was so good only one catholic or two tryed to debate with him the other catholics were insulting him ...i tryed looking for his post over there today i can't find it ;;they must of removed it.........stashko
I think I'll head over and look for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.