catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stathios

Reaction score
MODERATION: This post was moved here from another thread.

Hello,

I was a fellow Orthodox on the catholic.com site. There was a forum there that allowed The Orthodox and the Catholics to converse. Of-course this site was set up to try to convert Orthodox to the Roman Church. Unfortunately this failed for the Catholics. Infact more and more people who were cradle Catholics or Protestants were asking questions about Orthodoxy and started to look into Orthodoxy. Some even converted when I was on the forum. This goes to show you THAT WE ARE THE ONE CHURCH, THE TRUE CHURCH.

I also would like to say thank you to my fellow Orthodox Brothers and sisters who helped with the cause.

Stathios

Alexius

Reaction score
Between US and Poland, but my heart is in Russia..
Stathios said:
MODERATION: This post was moved here from another thread.

Hello,

I was a fellow Orthodox on the catholic.com site. There was a forum there that allowed The Orthodox and the Catholics to converse. Of-course this site was set up to try to convert Orthodox to the Roman Church. Unfortunately this failed for the Catholics. Infact more and more people who were cradle Catholics or Protestants were asking questions about Orthodoxy and started to look into Orthodoxy. Some even converted when I was on the forum. This goes to show you THAT WE ARE THE ONE CHURCH, THE TRUE CHURCH.

I also would like to say thank you to my fellow Orthodox Brothers and sisters who helped with the cause.

Stathios
I remember you--thank you for the many great posts!

Well, now that we're all here... ;D

the slave

High Elder
Reaction score
Oh I'll plead guilty to my sockpuppet - BUT in self defence it was after I had exchanged several PMs with the revered Mod trying to get a thread of unsubstantiated rumours shut down.

Fortunately I had downloaded all my PMs there before they started the banning protest.

HINT - those of you still there - grab your PMs if there is any evidence there

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
stanley123 said:
Just a few days before the E Christianity forum crashed, Joe Monahan had posted a congratulatory note to several participants with a beaming description of the forum as one of the best around.
Hi stanley, long time no see.

Unfortunately, Joe's opinion and a couple of dollars will get you a cup of coffee, but not posting privileges at CAF  :)

Many years,

Neil

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
Heracleides said:
I am curious - does anyone know if the new moderator is an Eastern Catholic? Somehow I get the feeling that Ms. Grant is a Roman Catholic and like Fr. Ambrose I come away feeling that she is truly out of her depth.  I believe Wynd publicly asked the question but never received a reply.  Does anyone happen to know?
If I read her reply correctly, she is canonically Latin, but sounded as if she is involved with/attending a Byzantine parish

Many years,

Neil

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
ialmisry said:
Interesting, as the only post I've made there (besides welcoming Obadiah back) was to question why a thread on on the Orthodox Catholic Ravenna conference wasn't on Non-Catholic Religion, and Hesychias, on his return and I think Irish Melkite also, posed a similar question on other threads involving the Orthodox.  Paradoxically ::) those threads remained on the ECathF, and didn't get moved.I think I'll pop over to Apologetics and take a looksy. :police:
I thought for certain that I was going to get axed over that post in which I said that one cannot discuss EC in a vacuum that excluded EO - instead, I got thanked for restating the mission of the new forum with such "eloquence"  ???  Is that what I did? I actually thought that my post disparaged the new mission statement  ???

Many years,

Neil

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Irish Melkite said:
I thought for certain that I was going to get axed over that post in which I said that one cannot discuss EC in a vacuum that excluded EO - instead, I got thanked for restating the mission of the new forum with such "eloquence"  ???  Is that what I did? I actually thought that my post disparaged the new mission statement  ???

Many years,

Neil
Reminds me of a dissident in Romania, when, after being beat up again wrote a personal letter to Ceaucescu in which he stated that the problems he (the dissident) was having was all a misunderstanding and that if Nicolaie and Elena could have dinner together with the dissident and his wife, the whole thing could be sorted out.  He expected to be fired and beat up again. Instead months passed and nothing happened, and then they were issued exit vizas.  It seems that the securitate was so stunned that they didn't know how to handle the letter, so eventually decided to read it as another request to leave and issued the appropriate paperwork.

I've been waiting to see any reaction to my post on ECath forum on Marina's consideration of reversion (her word).  I think it's clear, but I don't think they know what to do with it.

the slave

High Elder
Reaction score
Irish Melkite said:

Many years,

Neil
Hi Neil

I was surprised that you didn't do a vanishing stunt after that post - total agreement.

I suppose it's a case of she read what she wanted to read

Paradosis

Reaction score
When I visited the "Apologetics" subforum of CAF this evening I noticed that my posts and those of the other Orthodox posters were removed from the thread about a woman considering reversion from Orthodoxy to Catholicism.  The moderator said that these posts were off-topic and that discussion should cease until the OP returned.  In all my time at CAF, I've never witnessed such censorship.  It looks like the ability to defend Holy Orthodoxy is becoming even more difficult on CAF.  :(

God bless,

Adam

JoeS

OC.Net Guru
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Paradosis said:
When I visited the "Apologetics" subforum of CAF this evening I noticed that my posts and those of the other Orthodox posters were removed from the thread about a woman considering reversion from Orthodoxy to Catholicism.  The moderator said that these posts were off-topic and that discussion should cease until the OP returned.  In all my time at CAF, I've never witnessed such censorship.  It looks like the ability to defend Holy Orthodoxy is becoming even more difficult on CAF.  :(

God bless,

Adam
My personal feelings is that we as Orthodox should avoid becoming involved in this group while the atmosphere of contempt is enjoying a heyday in polemics.  They enjoy their versions of what Eastern Christianity is and that satisfies them.  Their triumphalism is their banquet feast.

Joab Anias

Reaction score
Irish Melkite said:

Many years,

Neil
Could it have gone over her head perhaps?

I must say I was humbled by being banned just the same so its all good.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
JoeS said:
My personal feelings is that we as Orthodox should avoid becoming involved in this group while the atmosphere of contempt is enjoying a heyday in polemics.  They enjoy their versions of what Eastern Christianity is and that satisfies them.  Their triumphalism is their banquet feast.
Well, we'll see. I just responded at length to a post on the NCR on why the interest in reunion is concentrated on the Orthodox or some such thing.  They may have had to choke on a word or two.

I also got a new signature there "Orthodox in communion with the Pope of Alexandria." :D

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
TO ISA...

I see that somone is trying to cause you grief over the use of the U word in the thread "If Catholic & EO unite, who can be Pope?"

You could remind that person that a moderatorial decision was rendered, more than once, that the word and its derivatives are permissible when used correctly.

This message from Heracleides in the link below contain references to two occasions when a member of the CAF Moderatorial staff approved it.

..............Ooops, just deleted the link since it was to another Forum.  Will send it via e-mail.

Hesychios

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Joab Anias said:
They sure did. No warning either. I was shocked because I didn't realize I had broken the "no mention of the old thread rule". 
I am sorry to learn of your banning.

I actually liked to read some of your stuff!

Ok, ok, it's not like we agreed on several points. That doesn't matter, if we all agreed all of the time we would not have a reason to converse. I think your banning was a big mistake, when I saw it under your name I momentarily stopped breathing...I was pretty shocked.

It looks like there will be no one left to represent the Eastern Catholic point of view, or a balanced attempt, besides HailMary and Daiseegirl before long  ::)

My posting, like my patience and my temper, have reduced considerably. I have taken up baking  :D ...my goal is the perfect prosphora  8)

Yeast and flour don't raise my anxiety level nearly as much as these theological concerns.

Michael

Lemko Rusyn

Reaction score
Website
www.rusynmedia.org
Irish Melkite said:
If I read her reply correctly, she is canonically Latin, but sounded as if she is involved with/attending a Byzantine parish
That's pretty much all it takes to pass as a "Byzantine Catholic" in most parts of the Internet these days.

Actual Byzantine Catholics are very few and far between on Internet fora (which is why we are all the more thankful for people like Irish Melkite, to correct all the bizarre misinformation, with an authentic voice)... of course, they are getting harder and harder to find even in Byzantine Catholic parishes, so as goes the world, so goes the Web  ::)

(Honestly, in the few months I'd been reading that forum, it didn't seem any more rancorous to me than most of them, not even the ones that are known for saccharine "charity". Now it's pretty much just a snooze-fest of "Here's all about the 'other lung' you never knew you had! Now start breathing with it!")

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
Merely for documentation purposes I am showing the post (still existent) for which I, too, received instant, but virtual banning on the Catholic Excuses Forum. To wit:
Nov 8, '07, 8:59 am

Default Re: First Thread - New Forum
So, as I understand this now, we in the "Holy Orthodox Catholic Church of the East" (a canonical name of our communion), which has never ceased referring to itself as the "Catholic Church" must now refrain from using the term "Orthodox Catholic" (itself an accommodation to those in the communion of the Church of Rome which also appropriates the name "Catholic Church"). Even "Eastern Orthodox" is a western derived term and technically foreign to us. I guess we could consider ourselves "Catholic Not in Communion with Rome"? Probably not.
To me, our participation here under this new requirement (and home in NCR) is tantamount to our saying that the Communion of Rome is correct and we are wrong. That I cannot do.
yes, I posted this as a test to verify the draconian measures being made there. I too received my banishment notice upon attempting re-log in 30 minutes later. And my account still does not note "Banned"
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=2942976#post2942976

Joab Anias

Reaction score
Hesychios said:
I am sorry to learn of your banning.

I actually liked to read some of your stuff!

Ok, ok, it's not like we agreed on several points. That doesn't matter, if we all agreed all of the time we would not have a reason to converse. I think your banning was a big mistake, when I saw it under your name I momentarily stopped breathing...I was pretty shocked.

It looks like there will be no one left to represent the Eastern Catholic point of view, or a balanced attempt, besides HailMary and Daiseegirl before long  ::)

My posting, like my patience and my temper, have reduced considerably. I have taken up baking   :D ...my goal is the perfect prosphora  8)

Yeast and flour don't raise my anxiety level nearly as much as these theological concerns.

Michael
I quoted you and then saved it without replying. Doh.  :-[  I feel like a fish out of water here. I will continue to post here so long as I as I can do so peacefully despite my firm Roman indoctrination. I had let my passions rob me of that over there way to often. Prior to being banned I felt a need to withdraw some too but in my compulsion I ignored it.

Thanks and I always found your posts very charitable and I suppose that's why your still there and most of us are not. I can't deny having a hardened heart. I've even been known to get snippy with the Lord Himself. I could be laying in a ditch and still proud of myself some how.  ::)  You know what they say about pride, it always proceeds a fall. Thank God for God and that He is always Faithful to us despite ourselves.

I honestly think most Roman Catholics are ignorant of Eastern Praxis. I know I was just a few short months ago when I first barged into those threads. They need to be educated peacefully because most of us will naturally want to Latinize the East because we know no better.

Through exploration of the issues in the old threads I slowly came to realize there is no need. But it took that education to do so and now I can honestly respect Eastern praxis. I see the Eastern Catholics as building that bridge too. I actually found myself defending against notions of latinizations with other Roman Catholics trying to help them realize the same thing.

Then I arrogantly made a point about the old thread to rub it in and am paying the consequences. It's harsh but it was my mistake. As hard as it is to swallow, the moderator was fair in defending the rules against me as well as others.

I often push God into a corner so to speak. I sometimes don't recognize His will until I have no other alternatives. Then when that time comes all I can do is resign myself to this road block and try and do better to follow His will in the future. It has led me here and another forum that seems like it may be exciting as its extremely ecumenical with allot of sincere believers with sincere questions about both eastern and western Churches that I can answer. Not only that but its GUI is set up even better than CAF. I have only made a few posts there as of yet but so far haven't encountered any anti-Catholic/Orthodox propaganda, only lack of understanding with ears willing to hear. After spending allot of time on CARM I did not expect to encountering many folks from other belief systems who are charitable about it and willing to honestly hear a different perspective which encourages me. If you or anyone think you might be interested in helping to build bridges there from time to time, PM me and I will send you the site name. It is about twice the size (or more) of CAF with many many more theological topics to choose from.

Fr. A. I think you would have fun there too if your ever bored. There are many Orthodox there.

P.S. Please don't think I am encouraging anyone to leave here or have any criticism of this forum at all because I do not. I am not even recommending the other one with any opinion as I haven't been there yet but 2 days. I just feel this call and see a need for smart people like yourselves that could be very efficacious for all in reaching out over there from time to time as a sort of experience to broaden the mind through the experiences of others unlike ourselves.

Pax and

Totus Tuus.

the slave

High Elder
Reaction score
Well from what I managed to see on the Essence and Energies thread tonight there will be very few folk of any stripe before long.

I'm sure I have seen Daisiegirl under another name somewhere  :-\ < scratching head >

Status
Not open for further replies.