catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

maqhth

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
76
Location
Eastern Washington
ialmisry said:
Good to "see" you Reader. 
I was just thinking about you, but couldn't remember what your new identity was here. 
A late "Christ is Risen!"
So where are you doing your posting these days? 
Mine is over at theologyweb.com
I moved 30 miles to be near the mission Church in Ellensburg WA...

Things are changing...

But not God...

"Truly He is Risen!"

Arsenios
 

PJ

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
6,494
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New England
This is a new one on me:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=3785448#post3785448


see also:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=245862
 

maqhth

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
76
Location
Eastern Washington
You see, normally, when someone transgresses the rules and is banned at CAF, their posts are left in place, and their names appear with the term "BANNED" under them, so that everyone will know that the person is no longer allowed to post...  But you will find nothing of the kind under my name, nor the names of the other Orthodox posters, whose names were not so identified as banned, yet the great majority, if not all, of posts of whom were removed from CAF...

You see, CAF KNEW that they were doing wrong, and wanted to conceal their action from the rest of the members...

Such is the power of darkness...

Arsenios
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
maqhth said:
You see, CAF KNEW that they were doing wrong, and wanted to conceal their action from the rest of the members...

Such is the power of darkness...
Not so subtle--eh?
 

PJ

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
6,494
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New England
Dear Reader,

maqhth said:
You see, normally, when someone transgresses the rules and is banned at CAF, their posts are left in place, and their names appear with the term "BANNED" under them, so that everyone will know that the person is no longer allowed to post...  But you will find nothing of the kind under my name, nor the names of the other Orthodox posters, whose names were not so identified as banned, yet the great majority, if not all, of posts of whom were removed from CAF...
I agree with you completely. In both my participation on ECF-CA and the setting up of my own "alternative to ECF-CA" discussion forum, one thing I've tried to never lose sight of is the injustice of the secret banning of so many EC and EO posters by CAF mods.

maqhth said:
You see, CAF KNEW that they were doing wrong, and wanted to conceal their action from the rest of the members...
I can't say whether they knew they were doing wrong, but I would certainly say they SHOULD have known it's wrong to secretly ban people like that.


What I find "remarkable" about the lastest mod post (the one I linked to above), is the implication that a thread for presenting the Orthodox position would not be allowed in ECF-CA (i.e. it would be relagated to the "Non-Catholic Religions" section of CAF), but a thread for ECs to comment on and respond to the Orthodox position is allowed on ECF-CA. Yikes.
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Peter J said:
What I find "remarkable" about the lastest mod post (the one I linked to above), is the implication that a thread for presenting the Orthodox position would not be allowed in ECF-CA (i.e. it would be relagated to the "Non-Catholic Religions" section of CAF), but a thread for ECs to comment on and respond to the Orthodox position is allowed on ECF-CA. Yikes.
I also find it to be tragic--the constant implication by the moderation regarding catholicity (or lack thereof). The forum relegates the Orthodox posters to the "non-catholic" forum. It is a constant reiteration that the Orthodox are not catholic. That is why I have ceased posting there. In fact, I may not return in any capacity.

P.S.--I was secretly banned on Steve Ray's forum some time ago. Aparrently, this is a common and shared tactic.  :'(
 

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
10,556
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Location
Reston, VA
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Mickey said:
I also find it to be tragic--the constant implication by the moderation regarding catholicity (or lack thereof). The forum relegates the Orthodox posters to the "non-catholic" forum. It is a constant reiteration that the Orthodox are not catholic. That is why I have ceased posting there. In fact, I may not return in any capacity.

P.S.--I was secretly banned on Steve Ray's forum some time ago. Aparrently, this is a common and shared tactic.  :'(
I've never had a problem on Steve Ray's forum and have always thought they were much more open. Did you PM their Administrator "Siggy" to ask why?
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Deacon Anastasios said:
I've never had a problem on Steve Ray's forum and have always thought they were much more open. Did you PM their Administrator "Siggy" to ask why?
How? Good ol Sparky banned me because I was defending Holy Orthodoxy. And she was quite nasty about it. Of course it continues to seem like I am an active member.

I am okay with it though. The members there do not seem very Eastern oriented (including their own in communion with Rome). I sensed much anger there.
 

wynd

High Elder
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
604
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Texas, USA
Mickey said:
I also find it to be tragic--the constant implication by the moderation regarding catholicity (or lack thereof). The forum relegates the Orthodox posters to the "non-catholic" forum. It is a constant reiteration that the Orthodox are not catholic.
What do you expect? It is a Catholic forum, after all. We would not consider Catholics to be orthodox.
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
wynd said:
What do you expect? It is a Catholic forum, after all. We would not consider Catholics to be orthodox.
I think most Catholics would be appalled if they were considered to be "not orthodox".

 

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
10,556
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Location
Reston, VA
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Mickey said:
How? Good ol Sparky banned me because I was defending Holy Orthodoxy. And she was quite nasty about it. Of course it continues to seem like I am an active member.

I am okay with it though. The members there do not seem very Eastern oriented (including their own in communion with Rome). I sensed much anger there.
I have defended Orthodoxy there but have never had that reaction, so I am surprised that that happened to you. then again, I never posted that much there, nor did I get very direct in my posting. Who knows.
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Deacon Anastasios said:
I have defended Orthodoxy there but have never had that reaction, so I am surprised that that happened to you. then again, I never posted that much there, nor did I get very direct in my posting. Who knows.
I must have hit a nerve. This wretched sinner has been known to cross the line at times.  :-[

Peace and blessings to you.
 

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Mickey said:
The forum relegates the Orthodox posters to the "non-catholic" forum. It is a constant reiteration that the Orthodox are not catholic.
It's a little war going on between Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics. One side says Orthodox are not catholic, the other side says Catholics are not orthodox.
 

wynd

High Elder
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
604
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Texas, USA
Mickey said:
I think most Catholics would be appalled if they were considered to be "not orthodox".
They probably would be. But I would not expect the OC.net moderators to allow discussions of Catholicism in an "Orthodox-only discussion" section of the forum, if there were/is one, just because of the outcry from Catholics.

I don't agree with the closing of the Eastern Christianity forum and replacing it with a weaker, more sanitized version. But I will have to side with CAF on this one for being consistent with their new subforum's stated purpose. If the CAF mods consider Orthodoxy as "non-Catholic," well, I and others do not agree but it is their site. :)
 

James

Archon
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
2,749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
69
Location
Ventura, California
a little war going on between Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics. One side says Orthodox are not catholic, the other side says Catholics are not orthodox.

True...gotta luv those US American Catholics
 

PJ

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
6,494
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New England
wynd said:
I don't agree with the closing of the Eastern Christianity forum and replacing it with a weaker, more sanitized version. But I will have to side with CAF on this one for being consistent with their new subforum's stated purpose. If the CAF mods consider Orthodoxy as "non-Catholic," well, I and others do not agree but it is their site. :)
I thought they were being consistent -- i.e. the Eastern Catholicism forum is for discussing Eastern Catholicsm, discussion of Eastern Orthodoxy belongs in the "Non-Catholic Religions" forum. But now it's coming to light that diatribes by Eastern Catholics against Eastern Orthodoxy are perfectly welcome in ECF-CA. (If that isn't clear just from the post that I linked to, then read the entire thread.)
 

prodromos

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Dec 3, 2002
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
55
Location
Back in OZ
Mickey said:
It is a constant reiteration that the Orthodox are not catholic.
We are considered 'Catholic' enough to be welcomed to receive the body and blood at their mass, but not to post in their forum. It seems schizophrenic to me

John
 

Sparky

Newbie
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Mickey said:
How? Good ol Sparky banned me because I was defending Holy Orthodoxy. And she was quite nasty about it. Of course it continues to seem like I am an active member.

I am okay with it though. The members there do not seem very Eastern oriented (including their own in communion with Rome). I sensed much anger there.
I was directed to this thread, and I'm sorry to intrude. Not sure it'll make much difference what I say, as Catholics (especially Catholic moderators) are being made out to be the bad guys...but....

I do not recall your username on DCF, but I do recall one new Orthodox poster who was acting like a troll. We get a lot of trolls at DCF, and when someone comes in all guns blazing, is insulting to other posters and does not carry on a reasonable conversation - they tend to get banned because we believe they are a troll. It is possible I misread your intention, and I jumped on the trigger too soon, thinking that you were, in fact, simply another troll. If you were this person, you were, to my perception, just one more in a long line of trolls we had to deal with that day. I was a bit tired and frazzled. Meanwhile, we have several Eastern Orthodox posters on DCF, they are really respectful and great contributors to the community there. I find their spirituality quite admirable.

So, long story short - you weren't banned because you were defending Orthodoxy (if you are the person I'm thinking of) you were banned because I thought you were a troll.

If you want to give me your username over there, I can go back and review what it was that might have given me that impression. But if you are the one I'm thinking of, that was the reason.

Meanwhile - sorry again to intrude on the conversation.
 

PJ

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
6,494
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New England
prodromos said:
We are considered 'Catholic' enough to be welcomed to receive the body and blood at their mass, but not to post in their forum. It seems schizophrenic to me

John
I think it is schizophrenic, but not in the way you're thinking. Rather, it illustrates the enormous disconnect between Official Catholicism (which determines who can receive communion) and Popular Catholicism (which determines what can be posted on ECF-CA).

Do you imagine there's much similarity between the behavior of (some) Catholics on ECF-CA, and the behavior of Catholics at meetings of the International Commission?
 

Sparky

Newbie
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Sorry, I had a thought to share on the whole CAF situation.

I don't really post on CAF. I have an account there, and I rarely go there. But as I understand it, the situation is something like this.

You are invited to a neighbor's house. You go in, make yourself at home, kick off your shoes, eat their food, smoke their cigars (if you smoke), drink all their beer and you don't leave. You mock their cooking, their decor, their family and friends. Then, other people who come in, you do your level best to turn them against your hosts. You do this for a good long time. How long do you think they're going to let you stick around?

This is the situation with CAF. From what I understand, and I did poke my nose in the forum in question a couple of times and I was horrified, I saw the Church being routinely insulted, mocked and an active tendency to try to convert Catholics from their faith. These were your hosts. Needless to say, I didn't post or stick around, but surely you cannot blame your hosts, after several years of being charitable, for finally saying: "Okay, it's time to go find your own playground. You've had your fun and insulted us enough."

Again, I don't speak for CAF. I don't post there. But I'm only going by perception. And for what it's worth, that is the general perception in Catholic circles. Those of you who were banned, you made yourselves unwelcome to your hosts and they finally showed you the door. You should give them credit for allowing you to stick around as long as they did.

And, for what it's worth, I won't stick around here and make myself unwelcome. I've already imposed on your hospitality long enough. I'll look for replies, but...I would not want to be a burden.

May you be eternally blessed with Christ's peace.
 

maqhth

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
76
Location
Eastern Washington
Sparky said:
Sorry, I had a thought to share on the whole CAF situation.

I don't really post on CAF. I have an account there, and I rarely go there. But as I understand it, the situation is something like this.

You are invited to a neighbor's house. You go in, make yourself at home, kick off your shoes, eat their food, smoke their cigars (if you smoke), drink all their beer and you don't leave. You mock their cooking, their decor, their family and friends. Then, other people who come in, you do your level best to turn them against your hosts. You do this for a good long time. How long do you think they're going to let you stick around?

This is the situation with CAF. From what I understand, and I did poke my nose in the forum in question a couple of times and I was horrified, I saw the Church being routinely insulted, mocked and an active tendency to try to convert Catholics from their faith. These were your hosts. Needless to say, I didn't post or stick around, but surely you cannot blame your hosts, after several years of being charitable, for finally saying: "Okay, it's time to go find your own playground. You've had your fun and insulted us enough."

Again, I don't speak for CAF. I don't post there. But I'm only going by perception. And for what it's worth, that is the general perception in Catholic circles. Those of you who were banned, you made yourselves unwelcome to your hosts and they finally showed you the door. You should give them credit for allowing you to stick around as long as they did.

And, for what it's worth, I won't stick around here and make myself unwelcome. I've already imposed on your hospitality long enough. I'll look for replies, but...I would not want to be a burden.

May you be eternally blessed with Christ's peace.
Well, if THAT was what was going on, then why not simply SAY SO??  Just say: "Look - We are tired of our Church being trashed and our views being insulted by Orthodox posters, and we are going to ban all of them and remove the whole section and start a new section instead that does not tolerate the Orthodox presence."

Instead, they pretended they had not banned virtually all the Orthodox posters...  And gave no announcement or explanation of the removal of the section...  It was a place of spirited debate, and Rome was losing, and when their apologists, who were theological bullies accustomed to plowing their official line over their Protestant counterparts, came in and tried bullying the Orthodox, they were handed their defective heads...  The bullying of the Orthodox by Rome was OK, but the Roman bullies getting beat up by the Orthodox was not, you see...

There really is no way to get around the fact that it was the SUCCESS of the Orthodox in those discussions that frosted the cake of their removal...  Had they been but bitter and ineffectual and snide complainers, they would have been kept around as museum pieces for Roman derision...  But you see, it was the conversions to Orthodoxy on the part of so many Eastern Catholics that pushed it over the edge, and the fact that Rome was LOSING the debates, and the Roman understanding of the Orthodox-Rome Schism was being shown to be false, and the theology of Rome too...  Rome simply had no answers against us there, so they got rid of us and concealed what they did...  It is that simple...

Arsenios
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,864
Reaction score
41
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Sparky said:
And, for what it's worth, I won't stick around here and make myself unwelcome. I've already imposed on your hospitality long enough. I'll look for replies, but...I would not want to be a burden.

May you be eternally blessed with Christ's peace.
I'll leave the rest of your post aside, but I'd like to at least note the following: you are most certainly welcome here.  Always.  You're not intruding, or overstaying your welcome.  Eat the food, please (it's ethnic food, but it's healthy, and very flavor-ful!).

All we ask are the following: you're welcome to post your perspective and defend your faith - however if you chose to do so outside of the Orthodox-Catholic subforum, just make sure people know that you're speaking from a Roman Catholic perspective; please be charitable; keep the heavy polemics to the unmoderated Private fora (which can be accessed if you send a PM to FrChris requesting access).
 

Apotheoun

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Northern California
Website
sites.google.com
Jimmy said:
Gregory Palamas was a good voice to have on the EC forum.  He was a voice who didn't simply surrender to western thinking.  It seems like there are very few left on that forum who haven't just assumed the Latin theology.  Ghosty offers a good perspective but he is the only one who consistently posts who offers anything but Latin theology.  There are several who post once in a while - LakaYaRabb, ronyodish, yeshua - who are good but there are very few who post more than a couple posts a week.
I consider Ronyodish to be a Latinized Easterner.


MODERATION:
Please note that Ronyodish answers this charge of being a "Latinized Eastener" in the following thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16412.0.html
George
 

Apotheoun

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Northern California
Website
sites.google.com
Heracleides said:
Don't be shy.  Anyone who reads CAF & ByzCath on a regular basis knows that A Simple Sinner (to name but one) utilizes this strategy quite frequently.  It is rather odd how some Eastern Catholics prey upon other Eastern Catholics, but seems to the norm on both forums (CAF moreso than ByzCath) at present.
I rarely agree with A Simple Sinner, but I never take our disagreements personally.
 

Apotheoun

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Northern California
Website
sites.google.com
Joe Monahan said:
My brothers and sisters,

I’ve read this thread virtually from the time it was begun and I want to say a few things about it. Let me begin with some background before I get into the circumstances that birthed this protest movement and those which have continued to nourish it.

. . .

Joe
Joe,

I read your post with great interest, and – for what it is worth – I always found your moderation to be fair and generous.

God grant you many years, many happy years!

Todd
 

PJ

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
6,494
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New England
Sparky said:
And, for what it's worth, I won't stick around here and make myself unwelcome. I've already imposed on your hospitality long enough.
Yeah, two posts ... you've really been making a nuisance of yourself, haven't you? ???
 

Sparky

Newbie
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
maqhth said:
Well, if THAT was what was going on, then why not simply SAY SO??  Just say: "Look - We are tired of our Church being trashed and our views being insulted by Orthodox posters, and we are going to ban all of them and remove the whole section and start a new section instead that does not tolerate the Orthodox presence."
I don't know what their policy is on banning. Again, I'm not a moderator over there. The only thing I know is that there were many, many complaints made about Orthodox behavior, and apparently when the higher ups (namely the man Karl Keating or someone else on the main staff who pays good money to run that forum) finally looked, he/they pulled the plug, lock, stock and barrel. If your eye offends you pluck it out and all that.

Instead, they pretended they had not banned virtually all the Orthodox posters...  And gave no announcement or explanation of the removal of the section...
Read their TOS. They don't have to give warning, as I understand it.

It was a place of spirited debate, and Rome was losing, and when their apologists, who were theological bullies accustomed to plowing their official line over their Protestant counterparts, came in and tried bullying the Orthodox, they were handed their defective heads...  The bullying of the Orthodox by Rome was OK, but the Roman bullies getting beat up by the Orthodox was not, you see...
Well, you see...the goal should not be to bully or beat up on anyone. That is a lack of Christian charity, is it not? Who is the one who should be the better example of Christ's charity?

There really is no way to get around the fact that it was the SUCCESS of the Orthodox in those discussions that frosted the cake of their removal... 
Is there really success in causing more division and hatred rather than charity? Really?

Think about it. The root of our divisions (all of them, Orthodox, Catholic, and even Protestant) is rooted in human pride, the deadliest of all sins. With the Protestants it is to make each individual their own pope. With the Orthodox, they have no humility and therefore "non servum" (that is my perception, for what it's worth, and I do not think it is far off the mark). With Rome a sense of intellectual and spiritual superiority. We are all guilty of it.  The goal should be to break that cycle, but since we are all rooted in ugly pride it will not happen. And your pride is exhibited right here:


Had they been but bitter and ineffectual and snide complainers, they would have been kept around as museum pieces for Roman derision...  But you see, it was the conversions to Orthodoxy on the part of so many Eastern Catholics that pushed it over the edge, and the fact that Rome was LOSING the debates, and the Roman understanding of the Orthodox-Rome Schism was being shown to be false, and the theology of Rome too...  Rome simply had no answers against us there, so they got rid of us and concealed what they did...  It is that simple...

Arsenios
Since Catholic Answers is a Catholic organization whose goal is to defend the Catholic faith, I think converting Catholics to commit schism and therefore mortal sin would be upsetting to the board's owners, don't you think? It really is what I described above - you went in, ate their food, drank all their beer, then proceeded to turn the hosts' other visitors and family members against them.

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps you are better at debate and managed to convince some people to your argument. You won a few souls to your cause. Bully for you. But what did you really accomplish? A lot more hurt, a lot more pain, a lot more division in the Body of Christ.

Congratulations! I'm sure our Lord is happy.
 

Sparky

Newbie
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Peter J said:
Yeah, two posts ... you've really been making a nuisance of yourself, haven't you? ???
Well, for now. I'll check back on this thread occasionally. I can't be a regular poster. No time, really. I'm already a mod on DCF and I have a book to finish writing...and its deadline is calling me. :)

But thank you to the moderator who said I was welcome. I appreciate it. I just won't go into other fora, because...well...charity is something I have been working on with my confessor, and I see arguing as a near occasion of sin. Thanks, though.


 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Sparky said:
I do not recall your username on DCF, but I do recall one new Orthodox poster who was acting like a troll. We get a lot of trolls at DCF, and when someone comes in all guns blazing, is insulting to other posters and does not carry on a reasonable conversation - they tend to get banned because we believe they are a troll. It is possible I misread your intention, and I jumped on the trigger too soon, thinking that you were, in fact, simply another troll. If you were this person, you were, to my perception, just one more in a long line of trolls we had to deal with that day. I was a bit tired and frazzled. Meanwhile, we have several Eastern Orthodox posters on DCF, they are really respectful and great contributors to the community there. I find their spirituality quite admirable.

So, long story short - you weren't banned because you were defending Orthodoxy (if you are the person I'm thinking of) you were banned because I thought you were a troll.

If you want to give me your username over there, I can go back and review what it was that might have given me that impression. But if you are the one I'm thinking of, that was the reason.
Yes sparky. I am one and the same. I had never been treated so rudely by a moderator on a forum (I have been on CAF for four years and I visit various other fora). You insulted me continuously--and you referred to me as a troll in numerous posts. You had some terribly uncharitable things to say about The Orthodox Church in America. You ended the discussion (after you banned me) by telling me not to let the door hit me in the "hind quarters" on the way out. Siggy and other members of that forum have tried to contact me since then (I see the messages pop up on my e-mail) but it seems that I have no way to respond. Even to siggy--it looks like I am still an active member!!! All I ask of you (because it may be an oversight on your part) is that you place banned under my name so as not to deceive the other members.

Thank you and God bless!
Mickey (aka Ignatius)
 

PJ

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
6,494
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New England
Sparky said:
I don't know what their policy is on banning. Again, I'm not a moderator over there. The only thing I know is that there were many, many complaints made about Orthodox behavior, and apparently when the higher ups (namely the man Karl Keating or someone else on the main staff who pays good money to run that forum) finally looked, he/they pulled the plug, lock, stock and barrel. If your eye offends you pluck it out and all that.
I think the key word in that last sentence is "your". The Lord did not add "And if your neighbor's eye offends, pluck it out too."

Sparky said:
Well, you see...the goal should not be to bully or beat up on anyone. That is a lack of Christian charity, is it not? Who is the one who should be the better example of Christ's charity?
The Catholics.
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Sparky said:
Well, you see...the goal should not be to bully or beat up on anyone. That is a lack of Christian charity, is it not?
Indeed!  ;)

Sparky said:
With the Orthodox, they have no humility
Really???

Sparky said:
Perhaps you're right. Perhaps you are better at debate and managed to convince some people to your argument. You won a few souls to your cause. Bully for you. But what did you really accomplish? A lot more hurt, a lot more pain, a lot more division in the Body of Christ.
You solved the dilemma! The Orthodox posters were better debaters!

No Sparky.

It is all about truth. The truth always shines forth like a beacon of light. The Orthodox faith, that Pearl of Great Price, will always stand for the truth.

Voices were silenced by deceptive means. Members were banned without being so labeled (like you did to me).

The action speaks for itself.





 

Sparky

Newbie
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Mickey said:
Indeed!  ;)

Really???

You solved the dilemma! The Orthodox posters were better debaters!

No Sparky.

It is all about truth. The truth always shines forth like a beacon of light. The Orthodox faith, that Pearl of Great Price, will always stand for the truth.

Voices were silenced by deceptive means. Members were banned without being so labeled (like you did to me).

The action speaks for itself.
You're welcome to believe that. But if you're really into truth, you'd take a long, hard look at your own behavior and pride. Is there really something to champion that you may have been the better debaters? I don't know. I didn't stick around to see. But if you were, does it really matter? You caused more division. Again, good for you.

Regarding messages you received: anyone who was registered at DCF at any time received those messages because the site underwent renovation and all posters had to be notified. It was down for a couple of weeks. If you cannot access the board now, that means you are still banned. If you can, then you're not. You might check first before I do anything else.

And, as I recall you were quite rude to start with. Everyone has a bad day, even moderators. If I personally was rude to you, I do apologize. However, you did truly come across as a troll from the get go. Since I'd been dealing with them all day I just assumed you were one more and banned you. A word about me: I don't usually fight with people. If you were nasty and started it, it probably drew me in. But again, I cannot know since I do not remember all the particulars and since I don't have your username, I cannot find out.

Oh well.

If you'd come in and had been charitable, I'm sure things would have been different. If you behaved all the time on CAF the way you did one day on DCF, I'm surprised they let you stay as long as you did on CAF. They must have nerves of steel or they weren't moderating the forum.

edited to add: I didn't notice you signed yourself Ignatius...I'm guessing you mean that's your username. I'll look it up.
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Sparky said:
But if you're really into truth, you'd take a long, hard look at your own behavior and pride.
Yes. I have done this. And I have discovered that I am the most wretched of all sinners.

Sparky said:
You caused more division.
Really?

Sparky said:
Again, good for you.
Good for me?  ???

Sparky said:
Regarding messages you received: anyone who was registered at DCF at any time received those messages because the site underwent renovation and all posters had to be notified. It was down for a couple of weeks. If you cannot access the board now, that means you are still banned. If you can, then you're not. You might check first before I do anything else.
I have Catholic friends at DCF. They can private message me, but I can not respond. I am still banned--please label me as such. That is all I ask.

Sparky said:
If I personally was rude to you, I do apologize.
And I apologize if you construed my defense of Holy Orthodoxy as being rude.


Sparky said:
However, you did truly come across as a troll from the get go.
That was your perception. I received pm's of support before you abruptly banned me. So then you remember our dialogue?

Sparky said:
But again, I cannot know since I do not remember all the particulars and since I don't have your username, I cannot find out.
But you just said that I came across as a troll?  ???

I suppose since we agree about very little, I would say that you initiated the nastiness and you will blame it on me. I revealed my DCF name in my prior post here as  "aka". If you care to pm me that would be fine. But I am not going to rehash what was posted many months ago on DCF. All I am asking is that you label me as banned.

Sparky said:
If you'd come in and had been charitable, I'm sure things would have been different.
I was defending my faith. If you see that as a threat, or uncharitable, then that is your perception. I am not often accused of being uncharitable. But I have surely had my uncharitable moments.


Sparky said:
If you behaved all the time on CAF the way you did one day on DCF, I'm surprised they let you stay as long as you did on CAF. They must have nerves of steel or they weren't moderating the forum.
Really? So then you do remember our dialogue? Is this your professional opinion as a Roman Catholic moderator?
 

Sparky

Newbie
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Okay, I finally found the thread on DCF in question, Mickey. I read it through. And, while you were annoying, I believe I did pull the trigger too soon. I was indeed having a bad day, and my tolerance was rather low. And, for what it's worth, while I did say "don't let the door hit you on the way out" I did not say where the door should hit you. ;)

That being said, you were rude, you did not post an introduction (per the rules) and you did a swansong post (which automatically gets you suspended at least). These last two give the impression of trolling. That was my impetus for the banning. It had nothing to do with your defending Orthodoxy, as I said before. We have several others who do, and none of them torqued me like you did that day.

Now, I am not certain how to proceed. I have to check with the head admin. As far as I know, you are not banned presently because of the board renovation. I can inform them you may be posting again, and if so, I'll let someone else moderate you, if that is what you prefer.
 

Sparky

Newbie
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
And I should clarify:

I did not remember our exact dialog until I reread the thread just now. All I remembered is the impression I had of your replies, which was quite negative. Considering your reaction, I figured perhaps I'd over-reacted since I was having a rather bad, stressful day. That does seem to be the case, even though you did violate some rules.

I am trying to be reasonable here. I hope you do realize that.
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Sparky said:
Okay, I finally found the thread on DCF in question, Mickey. I read it through. And, while you were annoying, I believe I did pull the trigger too soon. I was indeed having a bad day, and my tolerance was rather low. And, for what it's worth, while I did say "don't let the door hit you on the way out" I did not say where the door should hit you. ;)

That being said, you were rude, you did not post an introduction (per the rules) and you did a swansong post (which automatically gets you suspended at least). These last two give the impression of trolling. That was my impetus for the banning. It had nothing to do with your defending Orthodoxy, as I said before. We have several others who do, and none of them torqued me like you did that day.

Now, I am not certain how to proceed. I have to check with the head admin. As far as I know, you are not banned presently because of the board renovation. I can inform them you may be posting again, and if so, I'll let someone else moderate you, if that is what you prefer.
That is fine. Thank you Sparky. I do not think I was informed that it was mandatory to post an introduction--but I could be wrong. I admit to not reading the rules.  :-[

And I suppose I did enter with guns blazing--I am very zealous for my faith--sometimes charity suffers. However, my "swansong" was inspired by the rude treatment I felt was being dished out to me. It felt like a feeding frenzy on the lone Orthodox poster.  :D

My apologies again. Please forgive this wretched sinner.

Peace and blessings,
Mickey
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Sparky said:
And I should clarify:

I did not remember our exact dialog until I reread the thread just now. All I remembered is the impression I had of your replies, which was quite negative. Considering your reaction, I figured perhaps I'd over-reacted since I was having a rather bad, stressful day. That does seem to be the case, even though you did violate some rules.

I am trying to be reasonable here. I hope you do realize that.
God bless you.
I have many bad days.
But then I think about the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and all my problems become petty and unimportant.  :)
 

Sparky

Newbie
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
One more thing, I think I should explain the swansong rule.

Usually if someone posts a swansong, we take it as you don't want to be there anymore and you want to go, so we help you. (As...harsh as that may sound.) Usually those who post swansongs ARE trolls. Which is why I went and did what I did.

I will double check to see if you are still banned, but I do not believe you are since, as I said, the board settings changed. Either way, I will inform them that you may be posting. And, as I said, I'll let someone else moderate you.

The whole division of the Catholic and Orthodox Churches truly, truly truly saddens me. It does get me very upset emotionally. There are few things that do, and that is one of them. That combined with everything else probably hit me hard that day. That is why I will not remain here long, because there is little I can do to bridge that gap other than pray that it end.
 

stashko

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
4,994
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Mickey said:
Yes. I have done this. And I have discovered that I am the most wretched of all sinners.

Really?

Good for me?  ???

I have Catholic friends at DCF. They can private message me, but I can not respond. I am still banned--please label me as such. That is all I ask.

And I apologize if you construed my defense of Holy Orthodoxy as being rude.



That was your perception. I received pm's of support before you abruptly banned me. So then you remember our dialogue?

But you just said that I came across as a troll?  ???

I suppose since we agree about very little, I would say that you initiated the nastiness and you will blame it on me. I revealed my DCF name in my prior post here as  "aka". If you care to pm me that would be fine. But I am not going to rehash what was posted many months ago on DCF. All I am asking is that you label me as banned.


I was defending my faith. If you see that as a threat, or uncharitable, then that is your perception. I am not often accused of being uncharitable. But I have surely had my uncharitable moments.


Really? So then you do remember our dialogue? Is this your professional opinion as a Roman Catholic moderator?

I can tell by his response to you micky that he is the troll sparky the troll ..iv read your post's on c.a.f. they were never bad or vicious all you did was speak the truth of holy orthodoxy and how the truth has set you free from the darkness to the light.....i never read this  forum and i never will.....i could only take so much about hearing the pope preached more than christ or even the Holy Virgin preached more than Christ....and about their false satanic apparition ,fatima,lourds,sacred hearts,Divine mercy...medugorije,,,and other ones they flock too...and another one that was just recognized....they seek new Revelation's flock to them like moths to a flame,,and forget what the holy apostle recieved from Christ and given to our Holy Father's for our salvation....all these places are a scam and a good money maker for the catholic church...<img src="http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_3_15.gif" alt="SmileyCentral.com" border="0">
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top