catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

welkodox

Archon
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
I agree. But IMHO, what CAF did was not "mild".
It sounds like it wasn't.  My half-joking theory is that arguing over the Inernet, or being a com box "warrior" as I heard the term recently will make you do and say things you will regret.  It will make you look unbalanced and angry.  That's not the same as just talking about things.  Some people may have gone to a Catholic forum to talk, but I'm guessing some wanted to argue.

I can say this all because I'm normal and not one of weirdos.  ;D

cs22408

Reaction score
I want to thank all of you orthodox christians for defending orthodoxy on CAF. Your eloquent defence of Orthodoxy has caused my wife and I to seek conversion to the Orthodox faith. I especially want to thank isa almisry, Mickey, and prodomos for their informative posts at CAF. Thank you very much. You have all truly made a difference.

cs22408 aka VARC

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, cs22408! And...keep us informed on your progress!

prodromos

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Boy are they protective of their Latin practices on CAF.

I chanced upon a thread asking whether they had committed a sin by not having fasted an hour before Holy Communion. The thread was already a few pages long, he'd gotten his answer, and I posted that in the Orthodox Church we fast from sundown or midnight the night before, and that as far as I knew the practice was the same in the Eastern Catholic Churches. I asked how they felt about not being able to keep even such minimal requirements and also made the comment that their Mass must run for a very short time (less than 1 hour between the beginning of Mass and Holy Communion) else even the weakest would be able to keep the fast.

Admittedly I could have been more diplomatic. Although I was mostly expressing my own amazement, I don't doubt my comments would not have been well received. The upshot is my post was deleted. No message from the moderators, no warning, it was as if I had never made the post in the first place.

Nice to see you here VARC. BTW, is it just me or does anyone else read the user named FCEGM as PHLEGM? It sure fits the tone of his posts  ;D

John

Joab Anias

Reaction score
cs22408 said:
I want to thank all of you orthodox christians for defending orthodoxy on CAF. Your eloquent defence of Orthodoxy has caused my wife and I to seek conversion to the Orthodox faith. I especially want to thank isa almisry, Mickey, and prodomos for their informative posts at CAF. Thank you very much. You have all truly made a difference.

cs22408 aka VARC
Drive by prostylization works!  :eek: Lol. J/K. Don't ya just love drive by posts, see my last one above. :laugh: I love that term. Kudos to my EO friends for that one.

God be with you and all the best. Hope you find a home that meets your spiritual needs. Gratitude is good!

Are you heading for strictly EO or EOC?

Peace.

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
prodromos said:
Admittedly I could have been more diplomatic. Although I was mostly expressing my own amazement, I don't doubt my comments would not have been well received. The upshot is my post was deleted. No message from the moderators, no warning, it was as if I had never made the post in the first place.
One would think that at some point those folks might imagine this type of action could turn counter-productive.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
cs22408 said:

cs22408 aka VARC
Welcome home.

And thanks for your kind words, but Someone Else has to take the credit.

Joab Anias

Reaction score
Αριστοκλής said:
One would think that at some point those folks might imagine this type of action could turn counter-productive.
Hehe, I think thats why they deleted the post. They have these funny rules about charity, denouncing the praxis of another or prostylization. Perhaps they haven't grasped yet that buying into polemics is no great sin.  ;)

prodromos

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Joab Anias said:
Hehe, I think thats why they deleted the post. They have these funny rules about charity, denouncing the praxis of another or prostylization.
It wasn't uncharitable, it is simply that they would probably consider it so in the context of that thread. The thing is, they have to keep the Latins and the Byzantines separate on their own forum so they won't offend each other with the vast disparity that exists within Catholic praxis. Pretty sad if you ask me. It is the same mentality that prevents the ordination of married priests in the Eastern Catholic Churches of North America. Goodness, we wouldn't want to offend or confuse those poor Latins with the ancient practice of the Church now would we?

John

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
cs22408 said:
I want to thank all of you orthodox christians for defending orthodoxy on CAF. Your eloquent defence of Orthodoxy has caused my wife and I to seek conversion to the Orthodox faith.
Greetings my brother in Christ!

Slava Isusu Christu!

I am positive that it is not a particular post (or posts) that caused your inquiry into Holy Orthodoxy. The Holy Spirit has led you and your wife on this pilgrimage. May your journey be blessed.

Mickey

the slave

High Elder
Reaction score
prodromos said:
It wasn't uncharitable, it is simply that they would probably consider it so in the context of that thread. The thing is, they have to keep the Latins and the Byzantines separate on their own forum so they won't offend each other with the vast disparity that exists within Catholic praxis. Pretty sad if you ask me. It is the same mentality that prevents the ordination of married priests in the Eastern Catholic Churches of North America. Goodness, we wouldn't want to offend or confuse those poor Latins with the ancient practice of the Church now would we?

John
The strange thing John , is that comments such as yours have been posted time and time and time again - without problem . It is good for these Latins - that fast for 1 hour and join the Communion line while chomping on their gum  - to be exposed to a wee bit of education

Hesychios

Site Supporter
Reaction score
the slave said:
The strange thing John , is that comments such as yours have been posted time and time and time again - without problem . It is good for these Latins - that fast for 1 hour and join the Communion line while chomping on their gum  - to be exposed to a wee bit of education
I wonder how many remember the complaints we used to receive before the "old" Eastern Christianity forum.

In threads all over the CAF Eastern Catholics, including me at the time, were interjecting our practices. This happened in spirituality and prayer sections as well as other forums. It annoyed a whole bunch of people, some of whom even claimed we were being elitists!

A huge reason for that was the difference in fasting, by pointing out our stricter observance in that areea we were accused of pride by some. DavidB was particularly angered by the formation of the Eastern Christianity forum because it was a form of Ghettoization on the one hand, and lumping Eastern Catholics with Orthodox on the other! A double-whammy.

Michael

Joab Anias

Reaction score
The purpose of this very thread is so contrary to the message of the Gospel in so many ways I cannot begin to make that evident to those with no ear to hear.

I can respect all human dignity and love all men as such but I in good conscience I can no longer post at this forum. I will check to see if I can delete my account but if the option is not available I respectfully ask moderation to do this for me.

Peace and God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.