catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

maqhth

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
76
Location
Eastern Washington
ialmisry said:
Good to "see" you Reader. 
I was just thinking about you, but couldn't remember what your new identity was here. 
A late "Christ is Risen!"
So where are you doing your posting these days? 
Mine is over at theologyweb.com
I moved 30 miles to be near the mission Church in Ellensburg WA...

Things are changing...

But not God...

"Truly He is Risen!"

Arsenios
 

PJ

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
6,494
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New England
This is a new one on me:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=3785448#post3785448


see also:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=245862
 

maqhth

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
76
Location
Eastern Washington
You see, normally, when someone transgresses the rules and is banned at CAF, their posts are left in place, and their names appear with the term "BANNED" under them, so that everyone will know that the person is no longer allowed to post...  But you will find nothing of the kind under my name, nor the names of the other Orthodox posters, whose names were not so identified as banned, yet the great majority, if not all, of posts of whom were removed from CAF...

You see, CAF KNEW that they were doing wrong, and wanted to conceal their action from the rest of the members...

Such is the power of darkness...

Arsenios
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
maqhth said:
You see, CAF KNEW that they were doing wrong, and wanted to conceal their action from the rest of the members...

Such is the power of darkness...
Not so subtle--eh?
 

PJ

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
6,494
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New England
Dear Reader,

maqhth said:
You see, normally, when someone transgresses the rules and is banned at CAF, their posts are left in place, and their names appear with the term "BANNED" under them, so that everyone will know that the person is no longer allowed to post...  But you will find nothing of the kind under my name, nor the names of the other Orthodox posters, whose names were not so identified as banned, yet the great majority, if not all, of posts of whom were removed from CAF...
I agree with you completely. In both my participation on ECF-CA and the setting up of my own "alternative to ECF-CA" discussion forum, one thing I've tried to never lose sight of is the injustice of the secret banning of so many EC and EO posters by CAF mods.

maqhth said:
You see, CAF KNEW that they were doing wrong, and wanted to conceal their action from the rest of the members...
I can't say whether they knew they were doing wrong, but I would certainly say they SHOULD have known it's wrong to secretly ban people like that.


What I find "remarkable" about the lastest mod post (the one I linked to above), is the implication that a thread for presenting the Orthodox position would not be allowed in ECF-CA (i.e. it would be relagated to the "Non-Catholic Religions" section of CAF), but a thread for ECs to comment on and respond to the Orthodox position is allowed on ECF-CA. Yikes.
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Peter J said:
What I find "remarkable" about the lastest mod post (the one I linked to above), is the implication that a thread for presenting the Orthodox position would not be allowed in ECF-CA (i.e. it would be relagated to the "Non-Catholic Religions" section of CAF), but a thread for ECs to comment on and respond to the Orthodox position is allowed on ECF-CA. Yikes.
I also find it to be tragic--the constant implication by the moderation regarding catholicity (or lack thereof). The forum relegates the Orthodox posters to the "non-catholic" forum. It is a constant reiteration that the Orthodox are not catholic. That is why I have ceased posting there. In fact, I may not return in any capacity.

P.S.--I was secretly banned on Steve Ray's forum some time ago. Aparrently, this is a common and shared tactic.  :'(
 

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
10,555
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Location
Reston, VA
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Mickey said:
I also find it to be tragic--the constant implication by the moderation regarding catholicity (or lack thereof). The forum relegates the Orthodox posters to the "non-catholic" forum. It is a constant reiteration that the Orthodox are not catholic. That is why I have ceased posting there. In fact, I may not return in any capacity.

P.S.--I was secretly banned on Steve Ray's forum some time ago. Aparrently, this is a common and shared tactic.  :'(
I've never had a problem on Steve Ray's forum and have always thought they were much more open. Did you PM their Administrator "Siggy" to ask why?
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Deacon Anastasios said:
I've never had a problem on Steve Ray's forum and have always thought they were much more open. Did you PM their Administrator "Siggy" to ask why?
How? Good ol Sparky banned me because I was defending Holy Orthodoxy. And she was quite nasty about it. Of course it continues to seem like I am an active member.

I am okay with it though. The members there do not seem very Eastern oriented (including their own in communion with Rome). I sensed much anger there.
 

wynd

High Elder
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
604
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Texas, USA
Mickey said:
I also find it to be tragic--the constant implication by the moderation regarding catholicity (or lack thereof). The forum relegates the Orthodox posters to the "non-catholic" forum. It is a constant reiteration that the Orthodox are not catholic.
What do you expect? It is a Catholic forum, after all. We would not consider Catholics to be orthodox.
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
wynd said:
What do you expect? It is a Catholic forum, after all. We would not consider Catholics to be orthodox.
I think most Catholics would be appalled if they were considered to be "not orthodox".

 

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
10,555
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Location
Reston, VA
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Mickey said:
How? Good ol Sparky banned me because I was defending Holy Orthodoxy. And she was quite nasty about it. Of course it continues to seem like I am an active member.

I am okay with it though. The members there do not seem very Eastern oriented (including their own in communion with Rome). I sensed much anger there.
I have defended Orthodoxy there but have never had that reaction, so I am surprised that that happened to you. then again, I never posted that much there, nor did I get very direct in my posting. Who knows.
 

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Deacon Anastasios said:
I have defended Orthodoxy there but have never had that reaction, so I am surprised that that happened to you. then again, I never posted that much there, nor did I get very direct in my posting. Who knows.
I must have hit a nerve. This wretched sinner has been known to cross the line at times.  :-[

Peace and blessings to you.
 

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Mickey said:
The forum relegates the Orthodox posters to the "non-catholic" forum. It is a constant reiteration that the Orthodox are not catholic.
It's a little war going on between Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics. One side says Orthodox are not catholic, the other side says Catholics are not orthodox.
 

wynd

High Elder
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
604
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Texas, USA
Mickey said:
I think most Catholics would be appalled if they were considered to be "not orthodox".
They probably would be. But I would not expect the OC.net moderators to allow discussions of Catholicism in an "Orthodox-only discussion" section of the forum, if there were/is one, just because of the outcry from Catholics.

I don't agree with the closing of the Eastern Christianity forum and replacing it with a weaker, more sanitized version. But I will have to side with CAF on this one for being consistent with their new subforum's stated purpose. If the CAF mods consider Orthodoxy as "non-Catholic," well, I and others do not agree but it is their site. :)
 

James

Archon
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
2,749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
68
Location
Ventura, California
a little war going on between Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics. One side says Orthodox are not catholic, the other side says Catholics are not orthodox.

True...gotta luv those US American Catholics
 

PJ

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
6,494
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New England
wynd said:
I don't agree with the closing of the Eastern Christianity forum and replacing it with a weaker, more sanitized version. But I will have to side with CAF on this one for being consistent with their new subforum's stated purpose. If the CAF mods consider Orthodoxy as "non-Catholic," well, I and others do not agree but it is their site. :)
I thought they were being consistent -- i.e. the Eastern Catholicism forum is for discussing Eastern Catholicsm, discussion of Eastern Orthodoxy belongs in the "Non-Catholic Religions" forum. But now it's coming to light that diatribes by Eastern Catholics against Eastern Orthodoxy are perfectly welcome in ECF-CA. (If that isn't clear just from the post that I linked to, then read the entire thread.)
 

prodromos

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Dec 3, 2002
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
55
Location
Back in OZ
Mickey said:
It is a constant reiteration that the Orthodox are not catholic.
We are considered 'Catholic' enough to be welcomed to receive the body and blood at their mass, but not to post in their forum. It seems schizophrenic to me

John
 

Sparky

Newbie
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Mickey said:
How? Good ol Sparky banned me because I was defending Holy Orthodoxy. And she was quite nasty about it. Of course it continues to seem like I am an active member.

I am okay with it though. The members there do not seem very Eastern oriented (including their own in communion with Rome). I sensed much anger there.
I was directed to this thread, and I'm sorry to intrude. Not sure it'll make much difference what I say, as Catholics (especially Catholic moderators) are being made out to be the bad guys...but....

I do not recall your username on DCF, but I do recall one new Orthodox poster who was acting like a troll. We get a lot of trolls at DCF, and when someone comes in all guns blazing, is insulting to other posters and does not carry on a reasonable conversation - they tend to get banned because we believe they are a troll. It is possible I misread your intention, and I jumped on the trigger too soon, thinking that you were, in fact, simply another troll. If you were this person, you were, to my perception, just one more in a long line of trolls we had to deal with that day. I was a bit tired and frazzled. Meanwhile, we have several Eastern Orthodox posters on DCF, they are really respectful and great contributors to the community there. I find their spirituality quite admirable.

So, long story short - you weren't banned because you were defending Orthodoxy (if you are the person I'm thinking of) you were banned because I thought you were a troll.

If you want to give me your username over there, I can go back and review what it was that might have given me that impression. But if you are the one I'm thinking of, that was the reason.

Meanwhile - sorry again to intrude on the conversation.
 

PJ

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
6,494
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New England
prodromos said:
We are considered 'Catholic' enough to be welcomed to receive the body and blood at their mass, but not to post in their forum. It seems schizophrenic to me

John
I think it is schizophrenic, but not in the way you're thinking. Rather, it illustrates the enormous disconnect between Official Catholicism (which determines who can receive communion) and Popular Catholicism (which determines what can be posted on ECF-CA).

Do you imagine there's much similarity between the behavior of (some) Catholics on ECF-CA, and the behavior of Catholics at meetings of the International Commission?
 

Sparky

Newbie
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Sorry, I had a thought to share on the whole CAF situation.

I don't really post on CAF. I have an account there, and I rarely go there. But as I understand it, the situation is something like this.

You are invited to a neighbor's house. You go in, make yourself at home, kick off your shoes, eat their food, smoke their cigars (if you smoke), drink all their beer and you don't leave. You mock their cooking, their decor, their family and friends. Then, other people who come in, you do your level best to turn them against your hosts. You do this for a good long time. How long do you think they're going to let you stick around?

This is the situation with CAF. From what I understand, and I did poke my nose in the forum in question a couple of times and I was horrified, I saw the Church being routinely insulted, mocked and an active tendency to try to convert Catholics from their faith. These were your hosts. Needless to say, I didn't post or stick around, but surely you cannot blame your hosts, after several years of being charitable, for finally saying: "Okay, it's time to go find your own playground. You've had your fun and insulted us enough."

Again, I don't speak for CAF. I don't post there. But I'm only going by perception. And for what it's worth, that is the general perception in Catholic circles. Those of you who were banned, you made yourselves unwelcome to your hosts and they finally showed you the door. You should give them credit for allowing you to stick around as long as they did.

And, for what it's worth, I won't stick around here and make myself unwelcome. I've already imposed on your hospitality long enough. I'll look for replies, but...I would not want to be a burden.

May you be eternally blessed with Christ's peace.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top