• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Catholic Answers Forum is closing shop

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Was going to post this under the above pinned Catholic Answers thread, but it is locked:

A message from the President of Catholic Answers

Dear Members and Patrons of the Catholic Answers Forums

On Thursday December 31 at 5pm PT, Catholic Answers will close the Catholic Answers Forums (CAF). I have made the decision to close the CAF after lengthy consultation with the Catholic Answers executive committee and board of trustees.

Because Catholic Answers has limited resources, we are always evaluating our programs to determine if they provide a good return on investment. I understand that the word “good” is interpreted subjectively. Opinions about the merits of the CAF range more widely than those concerning any of our other works. Some find them helpful, others contentious, others find them addictive, and still others find some of the content not suited to an apologetics apostolate and some of the content better suited to private spiritual direction and sacramental confession.

When we add to the inconclusive value of the forums, the significant cost in financial resources and personnel time to host, operate, and to what degree we can, govern them, Catholic Answers can no longer justify the effort. Our attempt to draw even a tenth of what they cost to operate through patronage was not successful. Some regular users of the Forums welcomed user fees. The vast majority wished to make use of the Forums for free. For our part, we need to make the best use we can of the gifts that donors to Catholic Answers give us to spread the Catholic Faith.

Recurring Patron donations will be discontinued on December 31. If you would like to continue supporting the work of Catholic Answers, you can donate here.

Thank you all for your support over the years and God bless.

Christopher Check
President, Catholic Answers

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
I wonder if they will archive them so old threads could still be read

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Good questions

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco

wynd

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Catholic Answers Forums, those were the days...

I will say that without CAF, I might never have become Orthodox! Funny how life works sometimes :LOL:

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Discerning
Back in my post-Protestant but not-yet-Orthodox days, when I was looking into Catholicism and joined that forum, around the same time that Pope Benedict XVI resigned and his Liberation Theology-minded successor was appointed, I asked naively and sincerely - not passive aggressively, sincerely, not knowing these things - how they can square Papal infallibility with a Pope who makes erroneous or other statements which go against Catholic teaching. I was immediately banned.

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
Can somebody give me further insights on what kind of forum that was?

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Can somebody give me further insights on what kind of forum that was?
It was a popular neo-conservative Catholic forum where controversial topics were typically not allowed and people who asked too many questions were often banned. There is a pinned thread here discussing Orthodox members being banned there.

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
It was a popular neo-conservative Catholic forum where controversial topics were typically not allowed and people who asked too many questions were often banned. There is a pinned thread here discussing Orthodox members being banned there.
So basically the Opus Dei JP2 "Conservative Novus Ordo" crowd with a bit more cope?

Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
God
Catholic Answers Forums, those were the days...

I will say that without CAF, I might never have become Orthodox! Funny how life works sometimes :LOL:
I have not posted on this forum or CAF for years. But, yes, I think it is fair to say that without CAF (in a round about sort of way) I would have never become Orthodox. Or at any rate it would have taken longer to reach a decision to convert. I am not blaming CAF either, really it was the JP2 dissenters/Liberation Theology devotees that made everything so uncomfortable - to my mind anyway.

Still, I just saw right now that CAF has closed. It is sad, for some reason, not sure why. I was active there for a number of years. It was contentious and pointless most of the time, but could also be really fun and inspiring if the right person came along on the thread. They had some members who were very knowledgable and kind. Sometimes the threads were really interesting. Though that was rarer and rarer.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
I have not posted on this forum or CAF for years. But, yes, I think it is fair to say that without CAF (in a round about sort of way) I would have never become Orthodox. Or at any rate it would have taken longer to reach a decision to convert. I am not blaming CAF either, really it was the JP2 dissenters/Liberation Theology devotees that made everything so uncomfortable - to my mind anyway.

Still, I just saw right now that CAF has closed. It is sad, for some reason, not sure why. I was active there for a number of years. It was contentious and pointless most of the time, but could also be really fun and inspiring if the right person came along on the thread. They had some members who were very knowledgable and kind. Sometimes the threads were really interesting. Though that was rarer and rarer.
Yes, the orthodox presence there wet my appetite and was instrumental (among other avenues) to bring me home to orthodoxy. it's sad that this outreach has been closed. I also discovered several wonderful humans over yonder. Fellow seekers.

StGeorge

High Elder
Reaction score
Just learned this evening that CAF closed a month ago. Hard to believe that it lasted about 20 years. I regularly posted 2003-2008 and met many interesting folk, Orthodox and Catholic, some who had posted volumes of thought-provoking material (users Ghosty, Father Ambrose, and mardukm come to mind). I logged in from time to time afterward, as recently as Nov 2020, to what Catholics were saying about Pope Francis, but the topics and posts didn't draw me in like they used to. Glad to see that oc.net still exists.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
No wonder why they ended up having to yeet themselves.

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
Faith
Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton of the Melkites
Thanks be to God! There was, for about 2.5 years, an Eastern Christian Forum on the CA site where a lot of folk from here and from ByzCath (EO/EC/OO/OC and some Latin Catholics) congregated and discoursed and dialogued and debated and, generally, enjoyed the community we created there. We educated people who wandered in to learn more about the East, Orthodox and Catholic. We created some incredibly informative threads on vesture, architecture, terminology, rites, all manner of things Eastern and Oriental.

Of course, we also spent a considerable amount of time dealing with rabidly hard-core Catholics intent on throwing anathemas (assuming they even knew there were such things) at the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox posters and, not uncommonly, at Eastern and Oriental Catholic ones, as well. We did a pretty masterful job of defending ourselves and our counterparts against these onslaughts but, in time, CA decided that ours was a hotbed of schismatics and schismatic sympathizers, forced out the forum moderator and began to ban folks left and right - myself, Father Ambrose, close to two dozen in all.

If you want a taste of what the Eastern Christianity forum was like - both in its heyday and in its death throes - wander over to the locked thread that someone referenced above. The 40+ pages of posts made there in the aftermath of the massacre catalogue it well.

Many years,

Neil

Xavier

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
marianapostolate.com
Faith
Ecumenical Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction
The Pope - but my heart is for Re-Union!
I think I signed up on CAF once but never posted there for some reason. I post on other Catholic Forums like FishEaters. I heard it said CAF was liberal on some issues. I don't know if that was the case, not having read most of the posts there.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
If you'll forgive me for coming in even later than other late-comers, I have to say Wow. Time was, CAF seemed like one of those banks that couldn't possibly ever fail.